MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

It's been beaten to death on here, but the Rangers really need to start over. There's nothing inherently wrong with their identity, but there's nothing great about it either. Kind of like their franchise - it's certainly not the worst, but it's never been the best, and is just generally irrelevant (of course if they can repeat last season and defeat the Yankees or Red Sox in a playoff series they'd probably get more attention.)

At a bare minimum, they really need to lose the number and NOB font. It's among the worst in the league. I have no idea why they decided to go in that direction.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went to the mall and visited Lids. They were showing a few hats that I believe were marked as "Authentic" and seemed new to me:

A black Reds hat with a red brim / red C.

All black A's hat with green lettering.

San Diego seemed to have 2 blue hats (one with true white SD interlocking, and a similar shade blue hat with a more metallic / silver / peweter-looking color) as well as a green and something the clerk referred to as "moss."

Are these going to be used? They were still showing a disgusting O's hat and the old M Twins one...as well as the Milwaukee and Toronto throwback ones. Not sure if they'll be phased out and are still being sold. The Toronto one I believe was marked down...

If I'm telling you stuff you already know, I apologize

1. The Reds rarely (if ever) use the black hat with red brim, but still sold.

2. The A's still sell this hat (even at their games), despite them having phased that black hat out for this one.

3. Blue hat w/ white lettering = San Diego home hat. Blue white w/ gold lettering = San Diego road hat. Green hat with gold lettering = San Diego Military Alt hat. All 3 are still used.

All those other hats have been phased out, but they're still being sold. Why? $$$.

It's deffinately a fashion cap,why would they make the SD the same color as the hat.

No, that is the new alt cap. I have seen it elsewhere and it is labeled "Authentic Collection" which consists of only the MLB on-field caps: http://www.lids.com/...?dept=MLB&q=New Era&style=6498

I don't know this to be 100% true, but my guess is that it's part of the new "Desert Camouflage" identity. Which I do know for a fact is getting a makeover for 2011.

Wasn't there suppose to be an entire overhaul of the team identity this year?

Nah...they're fairly minor changes.

So basically a recolored logo?

Well, that Padres green cap TFofA linked to is different than the one posted earlier. Unless people are mistaking gold for pewter, they sound like different caps to me. Also, someone called it fake because the SD was different, but perhaps they are scaling it back as well.

I guess I'm saying that if I saw the 2010 Padres road cap there's no way I'd describe the logo as "silver/pewter."

EDIT: Plus, the "moss" cap NYYNYR mentioned fits what griffelh posted earlier: http://www.lids.com/pid/20236051

At a bare minimum, [the Rangers] really need to lose the number and NOB font. It's among the worst in the league. I have no idea why they decided to go in that direction.

I disagree, I think that this is my favorite element of the Rangers' identity. One part of the Rangers' identity I don't like is the indecision over using red or blue as the principal color. Personally, I like blue, although I think most Rangers fans prefer red. My other beef is the logos. Personally, I like the "badge" alternate logo they used back in the late 90s and early 2000s, even if it was an obvious rip-off of the All Star Game logo.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

At a bare minimum, [the Rangers] really need to lose the number and NOB font. It's among the worst in the league. I have no idea why they decided to go in that direction.

I disagree, I think that this is my favorite element of the Rangers' identity. One part of the Rangers' identity I don't like is the indecision over using red or blue as the principal color. Personally, I like blue, although I think most Rangers fans prefer red. My other beef is the logos. Personally, I like the "badge" alternate logo they used back in the late 90s and early 2000s, even if it was an obvious rip-off of the All Star Game logo.

Agreed on the font, the last thing the MLB needs is more generic-ness. I like the Rangers' fonts and as an added bonus they are unique.

As for the red/blue thing, I think it's kind of cool that they (more or less) devote equal time to both, due to them being (sort of) equally represented on the Texas flag.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Rangers need to lose the Texas on the front of their homes and have Rangers be brought back.

They also need to lose the black completely. It just messes up an above average design. Has anyone ever counted the number of colors used on the numbers/letters on the away jersey?

texasrangersRoadGrey09.jpg

Blue, White, Red, and Black. That's 4 colors. Add the basic grey of the road and you have 5 colors on one jersey. There are almost as many colors on this jersey than on the Tampa Bay Devils Rays gradient jersey. The nameplate is illegible to anyone further than 6 feet away. Just plain bad.

The Black Reds hat is only sold because of people that want to be like Lil' Wayne. With all of those down here you would think New Orleans is Cincinnati South, but no its only because of Weezy.

The "thorns" really make the numbers look bad IMO, and the NOB is essentially illegible. The main problem is that their number font isn't really "custom" - it's just the standard MLB block with thorns added on at the end. It looks like it's supposed to be one thing, but has a defect. If they designed something from the ground up, it'd be much better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Rangers need to lose the Texas on the front of their homes and have Rangers be brought back.

They also need to lose the black completely. It just messes up an above average design. Has anyone ever counted the number of colors used on the numbers/letters on the away jersey?

texasrangersRoadGrey09.jpg

Blue, White, Red, and Black. That's 4 colors. Add the basic grey of the road and you have 5 colors on one jersey. There are almost as many colors on this jersey than on the Tampa Bay Devils Rays gradient jersey. The nameplate is illegible to anyone further than 6 feet away. Just plain bad.

It's even worse when you count the two different "warm" Grays used in the logos:

TexasRangers_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

However, it's not quite as excessive as the original Devil Rays uniforms:

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_2000_SOL_SRGB.png

San Diego seemed to have 2 blue hats (one with true white SD interlocking, and a similar shade blue hat with a more metallic / silver / peweter-looking color) as well as a green and something the clerk referred to as "moss."

You saw the two existing home (blue with white lettering) and road (blue with the sand/white lettering) caps along with the old green alternate cap and the new alternate "moss" cap. When I visited Lids here in San Diego they had the moss cap listed as "Alt 2". Wonder if they will have two alt caps...

The "thorns" really make the numbers look bad IMO, and the NOB is essentially illegible. The main problem is that their number font isn't really "custom" - it's just the standard MLB block with thorns added on at the end. It looks like it's supposed to be one thing, but has a defect. If they designed something from the ground up, it'd be much better.

The NOB font should drop the thorns. However, I think they look fine on the numerals. My main qualm, besides "Texas" on the homes, is all the unnecessary and unmatching outlines. On the fronts, Texas is in blue trimmed in red, then white and then the black drop shadow, but on the backs, the player name and the numbers reverse the white and red and it looks terrible. All they need for both sides of the jersey is the lettering in blue trimmed in red, nothing else. If they're that reluctant to get rid of it, then the black drop shadow. This may be a small nitpick but it just looks that much worse compounded with everything else.

The NOB font should drop the thorns. However, I think they look fine on the numerals. My main qualm, besides "Texas" on the homes, is all the unnecessary and unmatching outlines. On the fronts, Texas is in blue trimmed in red, then white and then the black drop shadow, but on the backs, the player name and the numbers reverse the white and red and it looks terrible. All they need for both sides of the jersey is the lettering in blue trimmed in red, nothing else. If they're that reluctant to get rid of it, then the black drop shadow. This may be a small nitpick but it just looks that much worse compounded with everything else.

Actually, I think the Rangers' NOB font would work if there weren't any outlines on it, and maybe, MAYBE, could work with a single outline. The number font is great, and yes, eliminating all traces of black from the color scheme would be great.

NEW BATTING PRACTICE JERSEY ALERT!!!

The 2011 Athlon Baseball Preview magazine has an ad on the back page for the new Majestic BP jerseys. Inside, with each team preview, is a picture of the new BP jersey for each team.

Nothing too shocking. Notably, SEA is taking full advantage of the multi-colored panels.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Don't think this has been posted yet. Officially released on the Indians site:

L-R: Road Alt, Home Alt, Road, Home

TbhGo3R5.jpg

I really love the new road uniform, cap and all. The red cap doesn't seem to work as well.

And what a wasted opportunity. That script mark is beautiful, it just has one too many outlines. This would have been the perfect opportunity to remove one.

I agree.

Jacobs should have left the Indians Script Logo alone. It looked much better when it was two colors.

Here is what I would like to see.

Two Color Indians Script Logo (Red bordered in Navy Blue.) on a plain cream colored jersey with red trim on the collar and sleeves. Have the Navy Cap with the Red Block C with it.

Two Color Indians Script Logo (Red bordered in White.) on a plain Navy Blue Jersey with Red-Bordered-in-White trim on the Collar and Sleeves. Use the All Navy Cap with Chief Wahoo.

The New Road Uni would Have the all Navy Blue Cap but instead of the Red Block C, It's a GRAY Block C on it.

Navy Blue Undershirts.

Navy Blue Socks.

But that's me.

...and here what I was talking about

my-tribe-unis.gif

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Archived