MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams having multiple batting practice jerseys are the most pointless thing ever. You want to exploit the bigger fanbases, that's one thing, but are Baltimore fans, or Toronto fans, REALLY going to be buying multiple BP jerseys?

For what it's worth, the Phillies have had blue road BP jerseys for several years now, and I have seen exactly zero people wearing them. Zero.

Of course I haven't seen too many people wearing the red BP either (used to be popular in the early '00s, but not since the materials changed and the piping / panels came in), but "not too many" > zero.

So yeah - road BPs are dumb.

I think my brother has a blue BP jersey, but I doubt he's ever worn it. I honestly kinda dig the blue jerseys...if only they didn't look stupid with the red shoes/socks.

i have the last two Blue BP jerseys the Phillies have had. i also know a few people that have them and have seen them around the park at games

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

Teams having multiple batting practice jerseys are the most pointless thing ever. You want to exploit the bigger fanbases, that's one thing, but are Baltimore fans, or Toronto fans, REALLY going to be buying multiple BP jerseys?

The Jays don't even sell the road BP jersey, so no - not really an issue here

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

For what it's worth, the Phillies have had blue road BP jerseys for several years now, and I have seen exactly zero people wearing them. Zero.

Of course I haven't seen too many people wearing the red BP either (used to be popular in the early '00s, but not since the materials changed and the piping / panels came in), but "not too many" > zero.

I think my brother has a blue BP jersey, but I doubt he's ever worn it. I honestly kinda dig the blue jerseys...if only they didn't look stupid with the red shoes/socks.

i have the last two Blue BP jerseys the Phillies have had. i also know a few people that have them and have seen them around the park at games

Huh. I was at 26 regular season + playoff games (and one of those dumb "on deck" games) last season, and didn't notice one (and I actually do look around for that kind of thing.) I'll pay more attention this year. I know that they sold the first version of the blue in the team shop and at some retail stores, but I don't think I even saw the last one for sale anywhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Huh. I was at 26 regular season + playoff games (and one of those dumb "on deck" games) last season, and didn't notice one (and I actually do look around for that kind of thing.) I'll pay more attention this year. I know that they sold the first version of the blue in the team shop and at some retail stores, but I don't think I even saw the last one for sale anywhere.

consider the source (mets fan), but i've always thought a blue element that works quite well is the phillies throwback cap. i fell in love with the cursed all blue hats circa '94(?), and i was glad to see them go to a blue/red lid with their throwbacks. i don't love the blue BP, if only because the all white players names/numbers on the back looked particularly flimsy on the back of the blue.

sig2024.png

Champs and BC Sports had the last blue one, yes def look around, not saying ur going to find a ton of people with one on but i think its something close to like 1 out of every 50 i saw last year with a jersey on was a blue BP. def more so on a hot sunday 1pm game since it is lighter

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

consider the source (mets fan), but i've always thought a blue element that works quite well is the phillies throwback cap. i fell in love with the cursed all blue hats circa '94(?), and i was glad to see them go to a blue/red lid with their throwbacks. i don't love the blue BP, if only because the all white players names/numbers on the back looked particularly flimsy on the back of the blue.

The faux-back cap is nice, I just hate the uniform it's paired with. The set it's inspired by didn't have nearly as much red in it. If they went with blue sleeves, belts, socks, and shoes (or black shoes), it'd be much better.

In general, I do not like the '92-> "P" or "Phillies" script. It just never looked natural to me - like how perfectly vertical the letters are, and how the bottoms of the h is rounded, it could never actually be drawn that way. The late '40s and even the all-red 50s-60s was far superior.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In general, I do not like the '92-> "P" or "Phillies" script. It just never looked natural to me - like how perfectly vertical the letters are, and how the bottoms of the h is rounded, it could never actually be drawn that way. The late '40s and even the all-red 50s-60s was far superior.

Couldn't agree more. The throwback-ish script never quite measured up to the original. Amazing how such a small difference can change a design.

I like that the Tigers do it. Orange is only part of their color scheme on the road, so it's fitting that the BP gear contains orange only on the road.

Have I mentioned that I really hate the Reds new BP jerseys?

reds-batting-practice-jersey-2011.jpg

never in the Reds 100+ seasons have they worn a full-chest script "Reds" on any shirt. The script looks like it's taken from the left breast of some alternates they wore in 1936 and 1937, but other than that it's been strictly the wishbone C with the block REDS in it. I really hope these don't creep onto the field of play in a regular season game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I just noticed the Indians and Pirates have sleeve patches on their BP jerseys. I don't think that has ever been done before. I wonder why they just now started to do that.

it's been done plenty. it just hasn't been done in the past 3-4 years since they went to the side panel templates and lextra lettering. since the template has changed, the lextra has been replaced by twill names and numbers and the jerseys on full button down now, i'm assuming majestic figured now would be a good time to bring back patches for certain teams.

sig2024.png

McCarthy, I hate it too. It reminds me of 1990 Little League Reds jersey. It feels fake and not at all part of the Reds look. When I close my eyes and think of the Reds I see wishbone C on the chest.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

eXagKOfg.jpg

Digging the Halos' new BP jerseys. That gold halo really needs to stay.

Darn, forgot how sharp their cap looks like with a blue crown.

I know that they want to be LA's red team and all, but the navy crown is so much better for showing off that cap logo.

I talk to my friend about this all the time, I agree that the blue crown with red bill looks really really sharp with the red batting practice jersey, I just dont see it looking that well with their all white home jerseys. I just dont think there's enough blue on those jerseys to make it look as nice as the red cap. On the other hand, I think if they would replace all the silver piping on their red jerseys with blue, then I think the blue cap would match perfectly with the alternate jerseys. I've always been a huge fan of their hat though so I'm a little against change, and i've also been clamoring for them to bring back the halo on the top of the hat so take my input with a grain of salt :P

This is not a uniform change or anything, but it has to with the Rockies purple uniforms. A series of tweets from a Rockies beat writer.

harding_at_mlb Thomas Harding

No purple caps, though. Players hated them.

8 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Thomas Harding

harding_at_mlb Thomas Harding

Rox still have ability to wear purple jerseys. Up to starting pitcher. Skip Tracy says he liked the look when he managed other teams.

8 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

So in the past few seasons when they did not wear purple was it still an option and no pitcher chose it or was it not available. Does this mean we can expect to see purple again? I would love that.

I just noticed the Indians and Pirates have sleeve patches on their BP jerseys. I don't think that has ever been done before. I wonder why they just now started to do that.

Are they memorial patches for Bob Feller and Chuck Tanner, respectively?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

eXagKOfg.jpg

Digging the Halos' new BP jerseys. That gold halo really needs to stay.

Darn, forgot how sharp their cap looks like with a blue crown.

I know that they want to be LA's red team and all, but the navy crown is so much better for showing off that cap logo.

I talk to my friend about this all the time, I agree that the blue crown with red bill looks really really sharp with the red batting practice jersey, I just dont see it looking that well with their all white home jerseys. I just dont think there's enough blue on those jerseys to make it look as nice as the red cap. On the other hand, I think if they would replace all the silver piping on their red jerseys with blue, then I think the blue cap would match perfectly with the alternate jerseys. I've always been a huge fan of their hat though so I'm a little against change, and i've also been clamoring for them to bring back the halo on the top of the hat so take my input with a grain of salt :P

I love the Angels all red at home. But I think this hat might look alright with the look. But I'd recommend making it the road cap and leave red at home. You could even change the piping on the road to navy, ala the pre-silver Indians. Though with an red home cap and navy/red road, they may look alot like the Nationals... except they'd look good. And that gold halo has really grown on me after seeing the BP. I still like the silver, but a full-time switch to gold would not be a bad thing at all.

I know it has been mentioned before but I thought I'd compile all the information available and put it into one post. The LA A of A (or who I still refer to as the Anaheim Angels) have announced flashback fridays to commemorate their 50th year. I've put together all the dates and known uniforms to be worn, plus speculation of what will be worn. So here it goes.

Late 1980's as seen here

4/8 vs TOR

4/22 vs BOS

5/6 vs CLE

Inaugural 1961 uniform as seen here

5/20 vs ATL

6/3 vs NYY

6/10 vs KC

71 vs LA (I find it funny that they chose to wear the LA logo hat against the Dodgers)

Remaining dates are

7/8 vs SEA

8/5 vs SEA

8/19 vs BAL

9/2 vs MIN

9/9 vs NYY

9/23 vs OAK

here is what is speculated to be worn.

1970's era

and early (pre disney) 1990's era

Are they memorial patches for Bob Feller and Chuck Tanner, respectively?

No, Chief Wahoo and the pirate head logo, but the Bob Feller patch is on the Indians jersey as well.

Archived