MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Pittsburgh is wearing their black "P" alternates for Opening Day against the Cubs. To atone for this transgression, they should have to lose by 14 runs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Phillies will wear a Phillies script white "B" on a black background on the left chest of their uniforms this season as a tribute to two long-time members of the club's ownership group (Alexander "Whip" Buck and J. Mahlon "Jim" Buck) who recently passed away.

206655_210351505644172_100000079715930_819691_491842_n.jpg

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

Not uniform changes, but in the Phillies-Astros opening day affair today, BOTH teams are wearing their alternate uniforms. The Phillies have on their tremendous cream alternates, and the Astros are wearing their brick uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how good those cream uniforms are: no team should be wearing alternates on Opening Day. Not even one who seems to hate their actual away uniform as much as Houston does. That's just wrong.

Ok, why not? Why is it wrong?

BB52Big.jpg

Not uniform changes, but in the Phillies-Astros opening day affair today, BOTH teams are wearing their alternate uniforms. The Phillies have on their tremendous cream alternates, and the Astros are wearing their brick uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how good those cream uniforms are: no team should be wearing alternates on Opening Day. Not even one who seems to hate their actual away uniform as much as Houston does. That's just wrong.

The Phils follow their own set schedule: cream alts for day games at home. So there shouldn't be any outcry.

The Astros have NO excuse for wearing the brick alts this much. It's because it's the owner's favorite color. I hope that if the sale goes through they'll return to actually wearing greys more than 4 times a year (@SF, @ATL, @CIN, @ARI). At least the Karma Police came through.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

No, because it's already known that they will be black and orange with little or even no teal when the name is changed.

So basically they will look like the San Francisco Giants of the east...

I bet they'll still have some teal and the product will be a color scheme similar to that of the Bowie Baysox, which all in all looks pretty solid to me.

Bowie_Baysox-logo-9E1A0245E9-seeklogo.com.gif

90758391980.gif

It's just like the playoffs - it should be a time where teams wear their primary uniform. If you're not going to wear your primary uniform on one of the most special days of the regular season, why is it your primary?

If it were up to me, MLB would do like other sports and limit the amount of times a team could wear an alternate jersey over the course of a season. Most games should be white vs. gray, and teams shouldn't be wearing alternates more often than their white or gray uniforms. I'm just glad I'll never see my own team - the Yankees - wearing an alternate uniform.

And we can add the Rangers to the list of alternate uniforms. On the day they're celebrating their first pennant in team history, no less. Awful.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

You can add the Indians and White Sox to the list of Opening Day alternates. The Indians look awful with that red hat.

That's far from the only thing looking awful about the Indians today.

(Though I agree, they should be wearing blue caps exclusively.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

You can add the Indians and White Sox to the list of Opening Day alternates. The Indians look awful with that red hat.

They now have the worst uniforms in baseball... at least home uniforms. They look sooo much better when they are batting and are wearing the navy blue helmet with Chief Wahoo. The red hat is one of the bigger downgrades I've ever seen on a uniform.

90758391980.gif

It's just like the playoffs - it should be a time where teams wear their primary uniform. If you're not going to wear your primary uniform on one of the most special days of the regular season, why is it your primary?

If it were up to me, MLB would do like other sports and limit the amount of times a team could wear an alternate jersey over the course of a season. Most games should be white vs. gray, and teams shouldn't be wearing alternates more often than their white or gray uniforms. I'm just glad I'll never see my own team - the Yankees - wearing an alternate uniform.

And we can add the Rangers to the list of alternate uniforms. On the day they're celebrating their first pennant in team history, no less. Awful.

Anal retentive much?

And btw those hating on the Braves-Indians screencap, it was a spring training game. They dont even count.

It was Braves-Twins. Maybe this is a problem.

Indians, Twins, who cares. Point is it's a freakin Spring Training game.

Agreed, & color clashing is probably my top pet peeve when watching sports. Now, if this happened during the regular season, I'd be heated. But it's just spring training, there were probably dozens of people at the game at the most, so I really don't care.

BUT, if I see the Braves wear those navy alts against a team that has a black, royal blue, or navy blue alternate, I will have a conniption fit.

They now have the worst uniforms in baseball... at least home uniforms. They look sooo much better when they are batting and are wearing the navy blue helmet with Chief Wahoo. The red hat is one of the bigger downgrades I've ever seen on a uniform.

I have to correct you, that is actually the alternate home uniform. They now have the worst alternate home uniforms in baseball. I agree, that red hat is just ugly. Doesn't matter what they're wearing it with.

BB52Big.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Teams (well, people in general) should want to look their best when featured in big spots, be it opening day, playoffs, prime-time games, etc. If you choose your alternate for those spots, then you're conceding that your primary look isn't your best. If that's the case, then change your primary look.

The Phillies "excuse" is that they wear their creams during the day time regardless of the actual game that it falls on. In a way, their creme is their primary uniform - their primary "day time" uniform. I'd have put them in pinstripes, but I can sorta understand their thinking with this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Teams (well, people in general) should want to look their best when featured in big spots, be it opening day, playoffs, prime-time games, etc. If you choose your alternate for those spots, then you're conceding that your primary look isn't your best. If that's the case, then change your primary look.

The Phillies "excuse" is that they wear their creams during the day time regardless of the actual game that it falls on. In a way, their creme is their primary uniform - their primary "day time" uniform. I'd have put them in pinstripes, but I can sorta understand their thinking with this.

Sorry, but that is just stupid. Where is it written that primary uniforms are automatically better looking than alternates? Is it possible that both looks are equally appealing?

BB52Big.jpg

Sorry, but that is just stupid. Where is it written that primary uniforms are automatically better looking than alternates? Is it possible that both looks are equally appealing?

Especially in baseball, where teams are limited to white and gray (or some other boring color of similar value) for their home and away primaries.

Primary uniforms are not "automatically" better than alternates, but the fact that they're the "primary" means that the team feels that they're the best representation of the club - that's why they wear them most of the time. Why would a team or person not wear what it / he considers to be its / his best look most of the time? If your alternate is what you feel is your best look, then you should be wearing that most of the time.

The Texans obviously feel that their organization is best represented by the team wearing navy helmets, navy jerseys, and white pants. Why, on the days that everyone is watching, they decide to go with a look that they obviously feel isn't their best is beyond me. They want to be represented by blue with red, yet most people's only look at them is when they're in all red. It's baffling.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived