MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Since most of the teams are out now, i thought we should start a tread for this. So far we know that the padres will ditch the sand iego away for a gray uni ( Huge downgrade if you ask me, it was the only thing that made them unique),

the Angels will switch from a silver to a gold halo (upgrade), the a's will dump the black alt for most probably a yellow vest with green sleeves and a yellow hat.

There are rumors of the brewers changing their away to milwaukee and the indians rebranding, the orioles adding an orange alt, the mariners bringing back the teal alt, the cards and phillies to introduce a red alt, and the yankees getting a navy alt.

so discuss, gentlemen, discuss

There was talk of the Cardinals switching to St. Louis on their road uniforms. I haven't heard anything new for a while though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and the yankees getting a navy alt.

Blasphemy! The Yankees in anything but pinstripes at home and gray on the road will not be greeted very favorably by fans. There's simply too much tradition. The uniforms have become iconic. Alternates work well for teams with brief, forgettable histories, or for teams that have a history of changing logos like they change their socks. The Yankees are most certainly neither of those.

Blasphemy! The Yankees in anything but pinstripes at home and gray on the road will not be greeted very favorably by fans.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Joe Yankee Fan would complain about an alternate uniform. I actually think that a navy blue alternate would be a runaway success for the Yankees in the sales department - they should have come out with one decades ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Blasphemy! The Yankees in anything but pinstripes at home and gray on the road will not be greeted very favorably by fans.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Joe Yankee Fan would complain about an alternate uniform. I actually think that a navy blue alternate would be a runaway success for the Yankees in the sales department - they should have come out with one decades ago.

I really think you are wrong - at least if it was a home alt. Now whether to the complaining would make a difference or not is debatable, but there would certainly be noise from the fanbase if the team came out at Yankee Stadium in anything other than the pinstripes.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I plan on going to Yankee Stadium one of these days, and I'd feel pretty cheated if I went there to get the whole "experience" and didn't see the most famous uniform in American sports - similar to how I felt the first time I went to Wrigley and the Cubs were wearing their stupid blue alts.

Now a road alt? There would certainly be some complaining about tradition and all, but there is already precedence for at least modifying the road, so it would likely go through and end up being a big seller.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Yankees road uniform is horrific. Why they wear that I don't know. Just wear the pinstripes for every game, even on the road. They could probably ask for a 162-game home schedule and the MLB would allow it. They're the Yankees after all, they're better than every other team. They don't even need a Majestic logo on their uniforms, see.

...and the yankees getting a navy alt.

Blasphemy! The Yankees in anything but pinstripes at home and gray on the road will not be greeted very favorably by fans. There's simply too much tradition. The uniforms have become iconic. Alternates work well for teams with brief, forgettable histories, or for teams that have a history of changing logos like they change their socks. The Yankees are most certainly neither of those.

Would these be the same fans who walk around wearing pinstripe jerseys with names on the back?

mets.png

The Yankees road uniform is horrific. Why they wear that I don't know. Just wear the pinstripes for every game, even on the road. They could probably ask for a 162-game home schedule and the MLB would allow it. They're the Yankees after all, they're better than every other team. They don't even need a Majestic logo on their uniforms, see.

The Twins could probably remove the logo too if they paid for it.

And the only team to get extra home games is the Phillies... sort of.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the Yankees just used single-layer plain blue lettering without white trim or sleeve cuffs, they'd look fine on the road. The current greys look perpetually '70s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm still feeling bad about the sweep, too. We'll get 'em next year, champ.

Hmm, okay. For the White Sox I will guess.

1)Adding diamond sock patch to home jersey

2)Adding 20th anniversary patch for USCF

3)Adding black outline around silver on home jersey

I am leaning towards #2.

Your closest guess is #1.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I'm still feeling bad about the sweep, too. We'll get 'em next year, champ.

Except not.

If there's any team that could get away with road pinstripes, it's the Yankees.

On the subject of the Mariners teal, I know there's at least one marketing guy with the team who loves the teal; I attended a game this season and ran into him and he made a comment to that effect. Also, the "Navigators," the M's contest/PR team, wears replica teal uniforms.

What that means in terms of the team ACTUALLY doing something is anyone's guess.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

If there's any team that could get away with road pinstripes, it's the Yankees.

On the subject of the Mariners teal, I know there's at least one marketing guy with the team who loves the teal; I attended a game this season and ran into him and he made a comment to that effect. Also, the "Navigators," the M's contest/PR team, wears replica teal uniforms.

What that means in terms of the team ACTUALLY doing something is anyone's guess.

Going back to the teal would be awesome. But I'd be happy if they just brought back the home cap with the teal bill.

The current set the M's have: home white, road gray, dark navy alternate, and a solid navy cap, they've had this for what, seven years now? I wonder why they don't want any changes.

If the Yankees just used single-layer plain blue lettering without white trim or sleeve cuffs, they'd look fine on the road. The current greys look perpetually '70s.

But they'd look really similar to the Red Sox too.

That's Boston's fault for abandoning their championship uniforms in a cash call.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll take a stab at guessing:

-ChiSox: Evidently some form of sleevepatch on homes.

-Cincinnati: Ditch road cap (fingers crossed)

-Cleveland: Navy consistency and return to normal size of Wahoo would be nice, but not too sure what to expect from them.

-LA Angels: Well, the 50th patch and silver to gold has already been revealed so I'm gonna say that's all.

-Minnesota: Ditching 2010 patches and vest. Been "confirmed" on there.

-Oakland: Replace most unnecessary black alt with probably kickass gold alt. Which hopefully just has "A's" on the left chest.

-Pittsburgh: Ditch the most unnecessary alt cap ever.

-San Diego: Switch to gray roads and hopefully something done about the road wordmark. The huge D kills it.

-San Francisco: Don't really care for the sunday caps, especially since they wear them on the road too. Either ditching those or adding a black alt. Ironically, I always found the Orioles to be more orange and black, with the Giants black and orange, yet the alts are reversed. Though I don't want to see the Giants' orange alts go away. I actually like those.

-Seattle: Teal alt back?

-Toronto: Looks like the throwbacks are gone. Until they return to blue and ditch black, nothing can qualify as a good move. They can only make things slightly less ugly.

-Washington: I actually would prefer them to go full-on navy over red. But not sure that's gonna happen. And either switch to script-only to go with the curly-W caps, or go full "monument" wordmarks (bringing back the "Washington" one) and switch the W to the one seen on the owner-president-whoever was in that one pic.

Those are just my hunches and hopefuls.

Hmm, okay. For the White Sox I will guess.

1)Adding diamond sock patch to home jersey

2)Adding 20th anniversary patch for USCF

3)Adding black outline around silver on home jersey

I am leaning towards #2.

Your closest guess is #1.

Hmmm, Okay.

1. They have developed a completely new sleeve patch which will be worn on the home jersey.

2. They have removed the diamond sock patch from the road and alt jerseys (which would fill me with rage).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But they'd look really similar to the Red Sox too.

That's Boston's fault for abandoning their championship uniforms in a cash call.

But the Yankees switched to the white outlined letters before the Red Sox switched from the plain block navy blue letters to the World Series uniforms I believe. So the Red Sox actually had their classic single-layer lettering more recently than the Yankees.

EDIT: and I also just checked Dressed to the Nines and the Red Sox adopted the original single-layer Boston block letter road jersey that the current roads are based off of in 1901. The Yankees first wore the ones their current roads derive from in 1919.

For the record I also would like to see the Sox return to their last road uniforms.

I also think a navy road alternate for the Yankees would be pretty cool, if worn with some pants with a thinner stripe (which could also be applied to the gray jersey).

Archived