MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

That Indians cap honestly looks like one of those red stars and stripes caps that they every team is forced to wear, and doesn't flow with the rest of the uniform at all. It looks so bizarre up there.

And yes, I'd say that the primary representation of a team should be its primary jerseys, and that's what should be worn on big occassions like Opening Day, the Postseason, if a major record is potentially being broken (the fact that Bonds hit some major HRs, regardless of how we now view them, in that black uniform, is a shame to me), etc. It's what should represent the team on special occassions.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did that jersey make the cut, but the vest look is history? Don't get it. The Pirates, to me, are the best of the vest !!!

Major leaguers should not wear vests, just as NBA players should not wear t-shirts beneath their jerseys.

I think the Blue Jays, before they were the blackbirds singing in the dead of night, had a nice away vest.

And their bird could sing!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I may be in the minority here but isn't it possible that some teams are better represented in their alt jerseys, like the Rockies in purple or the Reds in Red. I agree that the primary should be the primary look for a team but not all teams. In my opinion teams like the reds and rockies should only wear their alt jerseys on important days and leave the primary for everyday games. Like i said though this is not always the case and i certainly don't want to see the red sox in a red jersey or the braves in a navy jersey on opening day, but some teams just don't know where they fit into this spectrum.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

lolwut.gif

I wasn't calling you a name or anything, I just thought it was odd that you said alternate uniforms were made to spite the regular uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less.

1. Ok. Well, when you hardly wear your PRIMARY away uniform, I start thinking that you have it just because MLB says you need one (Houston, Toronto, Chi Sox).

If teams really don't want to use a gray away (which I'd prefer), don't force them. Just come to an agreement and tell teams that it's ok to wear your alt. as a road uniform.

But in reality, teams just go buck-wild and wear anything...anywhere...any time. It's illogical after a while. The Chi Sox almost wear black everywhere. It doesn't seem to matter where.

2. If you force teams to use white / off white / cream as a home uniform or home alt. (I don't feel home teams in baseball look good in dark colors), then you never run into those odd days when Houston is FORCED wears a gray alt (because they allow an Atl or Ariz to wear red at home). If you wear a PRIMARY uniform (away or home) only 10 or so times, you really are having that uniform in your set because of

a. MLB rule book

b. MLB-sanctioned events like AS games or games played in foreign sites

c. To not clash with teams wearing similar colors.

So, if you don't care for your primary away or , as you and others say, you feel your alt. is a BETTER UNIFORM, make it your primary away and don't force someone to have a jersey just because of league rules.

How did that jersey make the cut, but the vest look is history? Don't get it. The Pirates, to me, are the best of the vest !!!

Major leaguers should not wear vests, just as NBA players should not wear t-shirts beneath their jerseys.

I think the Blue Jays, before they were the blackbirds singing in the dead of night, had a nice away vest.

So, you're dealing in pure absolutes...You don't feel Pirates fans have a connection to that type of look since this famous HR to beat my Yankees was belted wearing the following:

bill-maz.jpg

So, you're dealing in pure absolutes...You don't feel Pirates fans have a connection to that type of look since this famous HR to beat my Yankees was belted wearing the following:

bill-maz.jpg

Difference is vests back then looked good. Now they're so frickin huge. Some do look good on an occasional basis. But unless they go back to the original cut of the classics, then yes, they are inferior to a sleeved jersey. Besides, the Pirates do look good with sleeves, though I do concede that if any team should wear vest primaries it would be them based on their history with them.

After expressing their commitment to wearing the road grays more, the White Sox are in their black alts for the second straight game, probably because they won in them yesterday, so nothing's actually changed from last year.

Not only is that red Indians cap atrocious, the Tribe also didn't bother to shell out for a matching helmet. And the red "C" on the back of the mound just looks silly. The Indians may have outdone the Marlins in terms of taking a whiz all over a great mid-nineties identity.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I disagree. Many teams look/looked bad in vests (Rockies, Marlins, D-Backs). However, some teams looked great in vests (White Sox, Reds, Pirates). As McCall mentioned, the cut of the vests makes a huge difference. I don't know exactly when Majestic changed the cut. I have a White Sox vest from either 2000 or 2001 and it has more of a tank-top cut around the arms. The Sox switched to faux vests with black sleeves from 2002-2004. When they went back to actual vests in 2005, Majestic now put its logo on the right shoulder and the cut was that of a normal jersey with the sleeves removed. Bring back the proper cut of vest and certain teams will look good in them. I understand that getting rid of the vests helped to standardize the Pirates' unis since players refused to wear anything but compression shirts underneath the vests, but ideally I think the Pirates would look best with vets and black undershirts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

After expressing their commitment to wearing the road grays more, the White Sox are in their black alts for the second straight game, probably because they won in them yesterday, so nothing's actually changed from last year.

Yeah, I smelled bull :censored: on that claim from the beginning. The marketing guy said "the starting pitcher chooses the day's uni and there is nothing we can do about it" and in the next sentence said "but we have made efforts to change things and plan on wearing gray more." If you let the players choose, what the hell can you do to make sure they wear gray more? Promise a pizza party at the end of the year if they meet the gray quota?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I just like sleeves to be in the base color, I guess. It looks fine for Triple-A on down to me, but I think everyone in the big leagues should wear full jerseys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was watching highlights, and I have to say that I loved the Indians look with the red hat. I do. I think there's a nice classy old-time look to it and it elevates the Indians look with the blue version of the cap to something nice and classy. That's just me. If you have an opinion, that's yours and I respect it.

In last night's Astros/Phils game, 1B coach Bobby Meachem was wearing the "Astros" practice jersey that has dark numbers on the back while the rest of the team was wearing the usual "Houston" alternate that has tan numbers on the back

Archived