UnclearInitial

MLB Logo&Uniform changes

Pittsburgh is wearing their black "P" alternates for Opening Day against the Cubs. To atone for this transgression, they should have to lose by 14 runs.

The Pirates' black "P" alternate is the best alternate in baseball; better than the Indians navy, better than the A's green.

The Pirates black alternate would be great if it wasn't for the dumb and pointless :censored:ing black outline in between the yellow and white on the P. Completely unnecessary and cheapens the look. If it didn't have that, it would be in the discussion, but otherwise, as loathe as I am to admit it, the answer is the A's yellow... (or maybe the Phillies creams).

The Pirates black alternate would be great if it wasn't for the dumb and pointless :censored:ing black outline in between the yellow and white on the P. Completely unnecessary and cheapens the look. If it didn't have that, it would be in the discussion, but otherwise, as loathe as I am to admit it, the answer is the A's yellow... (or maybe the Phillies creams).

That's exactly why I like it because it looks great and echoes the numbers. Agree to disagree (I hate that phrase) in this case, I suppose.

Forget the black, how about the unnecessary white outline? They all of sudden can't read the gold against the black after 60+ years? No wonder they haven't had a winning season in nearly 20 years. They spend any available payroll on a g** d*** outline.

bill-maz.jpg

These uniforms were beautiful. Uniforms in general were better when they were flannel-ish and more form fitting. Not the tight, ugly, polyester-era atrocities, but the late-60's era versions. Even clothes that weren't the typical white or gray looked great, because they looked like comfortable flannel (not that it is more comfortable, but it looks softer).

Today's uniforms are baggy and look like sails. It's such a strange time where were have tight compression undergarments, but excessively large uniforms.

The vest look works if done right (Toronto pre-graphite, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh). It looks horrible when not (Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona).

I might be the only one, but I dug the Rangers T vests from their prior set. I was hoping they'd keep it when they tweaked, but I guess it just didn't fit in with the TEXAS TEXAS of TEXAS.

Pittsburgh is wearing their black "P" alternates for Opening Day against the Cubs. To atone for this transgression, they should have to lose by 14 runs.

The Pirates' black "P" alternate is the best alternate in baseball; better than the Indians navy, better than the A's green.

I don't think they are even close to being at the top of the list. With a few exceptions for older teams with a continuous look, chest monograms suck. If a team has an established wordmark which appears on the jerseys, going with a monogram, especially on an alternate, is cheap and looks like a batting practice jersey. The only way the Pirates' alt could get worse in my mind is if they put the Pirate head on it.

I feel the same way about the A's yellow jersey. It doesn't look right when their other jerseys have wordmarks on them. That doesn't even account for the triple piping which is ridiculous for a team that doesn't have so much as a single pant stripe on any other uniform element.

It would look a lot better if they could figure out where the front numbers are supposed to go. And that alternate hat may be one of the most pointless ever.

I'll take the new black alternate over these any day.

pirates+red.jpg

the red vest uniforms don't get the hate they deserve around these parts.

I don't think they are even close to being at the top of the list. With a few exceptions for older teams with a continuous look, chest monograms suck. If a team has an established wordmark which appears on the jerseys, going with a monogram, especially on an alternate, is cheap and looks like a batting practice jersey. The only way the Pirates' alt could get worse in my mind is if they put the Pirate head on it.

I feel the same way about the A's yellow jersey. It doesn't look right when their other jerseys have wordmarks on them. That doesn't even account for the triple piping which is ridiculous for a team that doesn't have so much as a single pant stripe on any other uniform element.

Disagree completely. The Pirates' P is iconic enough to be featured on an alt jersey. Just ditch all the white outlines and raise the number up to be even with the P, or even ditch the front number altogether, and you'd have an excellent alt. And you can make the argument that the "A's" is more iconic than either of the scripts on the primary. The triple piping looks good as a jersey, but looks a little odd with the piping-less pants. Not necessarily bad, but a little strange. If they had done the thinner triple or single green piping around the sleeves and maybe the collar, ala Giants, Padres, etc., then it might not look so off with the pants.

Disagree completely. The Pirates' P is iconic enough to be featured on an alt jersey. Just ditch all the white outlines and raise the number up to be even with the P, or even ditch the front number altogether, and you'd have an excellent alt. And you can make the argument that the "A's" is more iconic than either of the scripts on the primary. The triple piping looks good as a jersey, but looks a little odd with the piping-less pants. Not necessarily bad, but a little strange. If they had done the thinner triple or single green piping around the sleeves and maybe the collar, ala Giants, Padres, etc., then it might not look so off with the pants.

To me, the A's yellow jersey looks like templated a Majestic fashion jersey from the late '90s featuring hat logos, where you could buy an orange Giants jersey with white/black/white piping, a teal Mariners jersey with white-navy-white piping, etc. As I said, I make exceptions for teams who have worn a chest logo historically (Yanks, Tigers, White Sox, Reds) but I dislike them in general. Those logos are great for hats, but the jersey should expand on the identity and show something different than the hat does.

pirates+red.jpg

Haha I was just going to post a similar comment. At least they are better than those Red alternates...what were they thinking?

To me, the A's yellow jersey looks like templated a Majestic fashion jersey from the late '90s featuring hat logos, where you could buy an orange Giants jersey with white/black/white piping, a teal Mariners jersey with white-navy-white piping, etc. As I said, I make exceptions for teams who have worn a chest logo historically (Yanks, Tigers, White Sox, Reds) but I dislike them in general. Those logos are great for hats, but the jersey should expand on the identity and show something different than the hat does.

Still disagree. I think chest logos are a classic part of baseball uniform history. That being said not everyone should use them. The D'Backs were heh with there's. Not a travesty that it's gone. I think the Cardinals could pull off a jersey with the STL logo if the Birds on the Bat weren't right there with the Tigers home unis after the Yankees pinstripes in terms of historically untouchable uniforms. I think the Royals KC could be ok maybe. And the Giants SF would look good on a black alt.

pirates+red.jpg

Haha I was just going to post a similar comment. At least they are better than those Red alternates...what were they thinking?

Maybe they had an idea to honor the H.J. Heinz Company, the famous ketchup making company whose corporate headquarters is located in Pittsburgh and currently holds naming rights to the NFL's Steelers home stadium, which is located near the Pirates home of PNC Park.

As it turned out, the "ketchup red" vested jersey was a bad idea.

The Indians have worn the cream alternates for the home opener every year they've had them. Outside of the opener and holidays, though, they only wear the creams on weekends.

Oh, as for the red hat... Yeah thats a debacle.

The Tribe wear their alternates for afternoon games, not weekends, hence why they're worn on the home opener.

Also, the players hate the red hat too.

I agree with you that it looks like a templated fashion jersey, but I think that's due to the tripple piping and can easily be fixed. The A's do have a history of chest-monogram jerseys, from back in the Phila days to even the early Rickey Henderson era. I don't think there's much you can do with the nickname "Athletics" (other than what they're doing now, which IMO is fine, but not really interesting and has been there for too long) so an homage to the past works perfectly well for them.

Edit: Re: Pirates P - I would argue that the P is iconic only within the context of the all-black cap. The black jersey with chest P looks more like a fashion jersey than even the yellow A's does. It's not horrible (well, except for the misplaced numbers) but it dilutes an otherwise awesome home and road package. I think that a simple black version of the road (or home) and / or a yellow version of the home (or road) would work really well.

Oh - and the red sleeveless alt did get hated on around these parts. I think your memory may be a little lacking here, McCarthy.

The A's do have a history of chest-monogram jerseys, from back in the Phila days to even the early Rickey Henderson era.

In fact, the A's have a history of yellow chest-monogram jerseys, which makes the current ones make even more sense.

Oakland-Athletics-27-Catfish-Hunter-Cooperstown-Throwback-Replica-Jersey-713-0.jpg

i actually can't stand the pirates alts. i think the P is way too big, the front numbers look out of place, the outlining around the P just looks odd, and the hat is pointless.

mccutchen.jpg

ugh.