UnclearInitial

MLB Logo&Uniform changes

The Giants just began thier second road trip of the season tonight, and they were still wearing the World Series Champions patch on thier jerseys.

This leads me to believe that they will be wearing them the whole season, as opposed to just the opening road trip and opening homestand.

I really have to say that there isn't a sports promotion around I dislike more than the one they're doing today. Everyone wearing the same number looks incredibly bush league and kind of even makes the game difficult to watch. Add that to the fact that there are still players (Well, one player) wearing the number 42 and it makes it even worse. Just wear a patch, even put it over the heart if you really want it to stand out, and be done with it.

I don't mind it. I think it's important for younger generations to know who Jackie was, and if this sparks a question, then it's doing its job. Aesthetic-wise, I'm thrilled that -- perhaps this is because Jackie Night is considered a special MLB-sanctioned event, like I mentioned earlier -- for whatever reason, EVERY SINGLE team not named the Boston Red Sox either wore a home white or a road gray. I watched all the highlights, and I could spot the teams. The White Sox looked great in their homes, same as the Astros. If the Red Sox weren't wearing their Red Smox, it would have been 100-percent compliance. (It's always great to see the Sawx losing, too). I think it's pathetic that they obviously fought the league's urging / mandate to wear a white / gray on Jackie day. That was obviously the case last night, and the Red Sox obviously protested because 1. We're the Red Sox and 2. We have an ultra-important promotion that compels us to wear the red smocks on Friday nights. Glad to see 'em lose again ! Go Yanks !

The Sawx are rocking the 'Hanging Sox' cap for the first time in a while. I'd guess they're switching it up to end the crappy play, rather than wearing 'em in honor of Jackie Robinson. :rolleyes:

Didn't work. Time to dump that cap.

Well, I wasn't a fan of the inconsistency of the early 42 nights. Some teams with one player, some with 3, some with all... didn't work. But this, with all teams all wearing 42, works for me now. Maybe it's because it's such an anomaly in a 162-game season. Or because I get to see all the unis with no names (my preference for the Cubs at home).

It also sneaks up on me every year and surprises me, which means even for a baseball fan like me, April 15 isn't ingrained into my head as any more than the tax day just yet (even in a year when it isn't).

I really have to say that there isn't a sports promotion around I dislike more than the one they're doing today. Everyone wearing the same number looks incredibly bush league and kind of even makes the game difficult to watch. Add that to the fact that there are still players (Well, one player) wearing the number 42 and it makes it even worse. Just wear a patch, even put it over the heart if you really want it to stand out, and be done with it.

I don't mind it. I think it's important for younger generations to know who Jackie was, and if this sparks a question, then it's doing its job. Aesthetic-wise, I'm thrilled that -- perhaps this is because Jackie Night is considered a special MLB-sanctioned event, like I mentioned earlier -- for whatever reason, EVERY SINGLE team not named the Boston Red Sox either wore a home white or a road gray. I watched all the highlights, and I could spot the teams. The White Sox looked great in their homes, same as the Astros. If the Red Sox weren't wearing their Red Smox, it would have been 100-percent compliance. (It's always great to see the Sawx losing, too). I think it's pathetic that they obviously fought the league's urging / mandate to wear a white / gray on Jackie day. That was obviously the case last night, and the Red Sox obviously protested because 1. We're the Red Sox and 2. We have an ultra-important promotion that compels us to wear the red smocks on Friday nights. Glad to see 'em lose again ! Go Yanks !

I think you're reading WAY too much into the Red Sox thing. The red jersey is their regularly scheduled Friday night home jersey. If the Giants had been at home, they probably would have been in the orange. It look like MLB told teams to drop the alts unless they had it on some sort of set schedule. Ergo the White Sox wore the regular homes. And FYI, the Astros wear their regular homes for weeknight home games, so it's not like they went out of their way to ditch an alt.

Not sure if this has been already posted, but it looks like MLB shop is already selling the All Star Game team hats. Isn't this a little earlier than usual?

The Giants just began thier second road trip of the season tonight, and they were still wearing the World Series Champions patch on thier jerseys.

This leads me to believe that they will be wearing them the whole season, as opposed to just the opening road trip and opening homestand.

Uniwatch's season preview said they would be wearing them the whole season. I like the move. It's hard to win a World Series, so you might as well savour it as long as you can.

Uniwatch's season preview said they would be wearing them the whole season. I like the move. It's hard to win a World Series, so you might as well savour it as long as you can.

I guess. But on the other side, you have guys playing for the 2011 Giants who weren't/aren't World Series Champions. That and I would want to make sure the team is focused on 2011; after the home opener's awarding of rings, banner raising, etc. I'd want the team to think about this season and winning the 2011 World Series.

I would want to make sure the team is focused on 2011; after the home opener's awarding of rings, banner raising, etc. I'd want the team to think about this season and winning the 2011 World Series.

if there was the slightest bit of evidence that was happening, I would agree with you.

I think you're reading WAY too much into the Red Sox thing. The red jersey is their regularly scheduled Friday night home jersey. If the Giants had been at home, they probably would have been in the orange. It look like MLB told teams to drop the alts unless they had it on some sort of set schedule. Ergo the White Sox wore the regular homes. And FYI, the Astros wear their regular homes for weeknight home games, so it's not like they went out of their way to ditch an alt.

If that's the case, I'm wondering why the Pirates didn't wear their black jerseys. I know at the beginning of the year they stated they'll be worn for friday games, home or away. I know that they are wearing them more than that this season, but it is curious that the Red Sox were wearing their Friday alternate while the Pirates stuck with their road greys.

Speaking of the Pirates, did they change the color of the MLB logo on their jersey and hat?

I'm still waiting for the Dodgers to either change their cap batter logo to royal/red or their jersey batter logo to navy/red. They should at least match!

I would want to make sure the team is focused on 2011; after the home opener's awarding of rings, banner raising, etc. I'd want the team to think about this season and winning the 2011 World Series.

if there was the slightest bit of evidence that was happening, I would agree with you.

Doesn't matter if it actually does happen or not; if you aren't thinking about this season, it isn't good.

The Sawx are rocking the 'Hanging Sox' cap for the first time in a while. I'd guess they're switching it up to end the crappy play, rather than wearing 'em in honor of Jackie Robinson. :rolleyes:

Didn't work. Time to dump that cap.

Absolutely, but it would have been even better if they never went the "Hanging Sox" route. It's not like the B is iconic or anything like that...

I'm still waiting for the Dodgers to either change their cap batter logo to royal/red or their jersey batter logo to navy/red. They should at least match!

I was getting ready to post "it is just the lighting, the cap logo is royal blue" before I checked on hatworld.com. Right you are. The logo really is navy and red. That is really sloppy and needs to be changed. I wonder if it has always been that way since teams started using team-colored MLB logos.

I guess. But on the other side, you have guys playing for the 2011 Giants who weren't/aren't World Series Champions. That and I would want to make sure the team is focused on 2011; after the home opener's awarding of rings, banner raising, etc. I'd want the team to think about this season and winning the 2011 World Series.

The Phillies did the same thing 2 years ago (but stopped wearing the patch in August) and went back to the World Series.

It was dumb when the Phillies did it. You've got a big flag flying in your stadium, you don't need a patch on the jersey to remind everyone that you won (unless of course you're trying to sell jerseys that otherwise haven't changed in nearly 20 years but now will because there's a shiny new patch.)

The Orioles' black alt is their regularly scheduled Friday night jersey, home and away. However, they wore their road grays.

Doesn't matter if it actually does happen or not; if you aren't thinking about this season, it isn't good.

Of course it matters. You're suggesting that "wearing a patch celebrating last season" necessarily means "not thinking about this season."

But that's simply not true.

Of course it matters. You're suggesting that "wearing a patch celebrating last season" necessarily means "not thinking about this season."

But that's simply not true.

And how would you know for sure. You in the Giants' clubhouse?

Yeah, they probably are completely focused on 2011 and aren't thinking about last season during this season, but 2010 is over. There is no need for a patch.