MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the Phils cap is terrible. The swirl didn't connect to the left bar (with exceptions allowed for stitching variations) and wasn't nearly that thick.

292-schueler_NEW.jpg404731.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The three "phailures" here are the cap logo (it's too thick, probably due to New Era's puffy style which wasn't used back then), the racing stripes appear too thick (minor though), and IIRC the jerseys had zippers up until '87.

Also, the names on the jerseys should have been vertically arched.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The three "phailures" here are the cap logo (it's too thick, probably due to New Era's puffy style which wasn't used back then), the racing stripes appear too thick (minor though), and IIRC the jerseys had zippers up until '87.

Also, the names on the jerseys should have been vertically arched.

They were not always vertically arched. I am not certain if they were one way for a group of years and then switched, but I have seen game photos that show both. When I was growing up though, they were vertically arched.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is the Phillies' maroon (or whatever it was called) the correct shade? It is clearly darker than their helmets and undershirts, but it looks lighter than the pictures and merchandise I have seen from that era.

I think the maroon shade changed throughout it's tenure. It was quite dark at the end ('87 - '92) but I think it was a little lighter in the earlier days. For a while, they actually mixed red with maroon (home uniform pinstripes were red while trim was maroon.)

We've been over this many times in the past, but the reality is that this is the official color of the Phillies' Maroon throughout its tenure:

PhiadelphiaPhilliesMaroon_1991_SOL_SRGB.png

It has been explained to me - by people who would know - that this was a problematic color that had a tendency to severely fade over the course of a season, due to repeated washings and the effects of the sun. This is why it looks so much lighter in photographs...I would suspect that they may have even produced throwbacks in a lighter color in order to more accurately portray the color.

Every official Style Guide had the Phillies' Maroon as shown above.

I know we've been over the red+maroon combo before, but I don't recall debating the actual shade of maroon used. I have old adjustable mesh back replica caps from when I was a kid that are around 6 years apart and clearly different shades of maroon, though we all know that accuracy and standardization wasn't then what it is now. The fading explanation makes sense. Maybe in the later days, the fabrics just didn't fade as much. I'll buy that.

A press conference has been set for this afternoon in Houston to announce that Drayton McLane has finalized an agreement to sell the club to Jim Crane. A uni change is pretty much a foregone conclusion, considering merchandise sales are way down and the team's current color scheme is that of Drayton McLane's grocery supply company.

Just some guesses here... but, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a return to blue/orange and a complete identity overhaul. The buzz around town is that he plans on making wholesale changes across the board, business side/baseball side in an attempt to immediately put his stamp on the franchise. The next couple of seasons should be interesting, which hasn't been the case for some time down here.

Great looking game. Those Phillies' blue/maroons look great, I think the team should return to the color scheme with some modern updated.

The Braves should just adopt those as their full-time home uniforms, they look great in any era.

87Redskins.png

144ef4e6538a62679a1f74baa75f1ef5-getty-109236633kc004_philadelphia.jpg960a6e289611009eee36540895b9b064-getty-109236633kc007_philadelphia.jpg

Who do I have to beat over the head with a brick to make this the permanent Sunday alts for the Braves, instead of the awful red alts? Then again, I'm just looking for some sort of excuse for the Braves not to wear those red alts again. They could wear the Negro League unis (which I didn't like, but still prefer over the red alts) for all I care. Even the road alts are better than the red ones.

A press conference has been set for this afternoon in Houston to announce that Drayton McLane has finalized an agreement to sell the club to Jim Crane. A uni change is pretty much a foregone conclusion, considering merchandise sales are way down and the team's current color scheme is that of Drayton McLane's grocery supply company.

Just some guesses here... but, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a return to blue/orange and a complete identity overhaul. The buzz around town is that he plans on making wholesale changes across the board, business side/baseball side in an attempt to immediately put his stamp on the franchise. The next couple of seasons should be interesting, which hasn't been the case for some time down here.

(dance)

This is likely one of those "means nothing" observations, but the new owner Jim Crane wore a blue tie and was very hesitant to put the Astros hat on when it was handed to him. In a day that was all about Astros promotion, Crane seemed to distance himself from the Astros current image. Drayton and the other Astros front office staffers were all in red ties and/or red clothing.

The deal is still pending approval from the MLB owners, so it could also be a case of him just not going "all-in" just yet.

Braves and Phillies in 60' -- 70's uniforms today. for Civil Rights Game

Braves in the Hank Aaron white and blues with the feather and "a"

Phillies in the light blue with the vertical maroon and white piping.

Saw the same two teams play in this combination years ago when I was a kid. Love it. Wish the Braves would make the red alternates road jerseys and wear the throwbacks every Sunday at home.

Throwback "Phailure" on the Phils' part today. At least Atlanta busted out the throwback helmets.

Wouldn't it be on the Braves part since the home team supplies the throwbacks to the road team? Or since the civil-rights thing is a MLB project, would it be on them?

I thought the home team just supplies uniforms, not equipment. We need an answer on that.

Sunday was MLB thing, Saturday was Atlanta Braves promotion.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm not saying they won't change the uniforms (they will, it's the biggest lock ever that they will be in new uniforms by 2013 at the latest), but the whole stadium is built around the train motif. How much is Crane really willing to spend (after going for $680M for the team) to completely retheme the ballpark too? I know the fans love the Navy/Orange (nostalgia is where it's at - the vast majority of the club's success was in the current set and the 90's Gold Star set). I have no insider knowledge, I would guess Crane will do one of 4 things:

1. Keep the current set, under the thinking it is a "New Classic" design (which is the nonsense reason McLane tried to sell with the uniforms).

2. Keep the current set, but recolor it (I have a DIY of the current script in the old Navy/Orange colors. It would be PERFECT).

3. Totally new design with the Navy/Orange colors.

4. Totally new design with new colors.

The current set doesn't bother me, and if the team hadn't been mismanaged so badly over the past 5 years, most fans wouldn't be wearing the butt-ugly rainbow shirts so much. Hell, they could fix the current set by actually following the original guidelines they set forth and WEAR THE DAMN GREYS ON THE ROAD!!!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm not saying they won't change the uniforms (they will, it's the biggest lock ever that they will be in new uniforms by 2013 at the latest), but the whole stadium is built around the train motif. How much is Crane really willing to spend (after going for $680M for the team) to completely retheme the ballpark too? I know the fans love the Navy/Orange (nostalgia is where it's at - the vast majority of the club's success was in the current set and the 90's Gold Star set). I have no insider knowledge, I would guess Crane will do one of 4 things:

1. Keep the current set, under the thinking it is a "New Classic" design (which is the nonsense reason McLane tried to sell with the uniforms).

2. Keep the current set, but recolor it (I have a DIY of the current script in the old Navy/Orange colors. It would be PERFECT).

3. Totally new design with the Navy/Orange colors.

4. Totally new design with new colors.

The current set doesn't bother me, and if the team hadn't been mismanaged so badly over the past 5 years, most fans wouldn't be wearing the butt-ugly rainbow shirts so much. Hell, they could fix the current set by actually following the original guidelines they set forth and WEAR THE DAMN GREYS ON THE ROAD!!!

The train theme of the stadium doesn't have to change unless they went the route of something like the navy/gold sets of the 90's. You can do a new look with navy and orange it a more "classic" design, something completely different fromt the current, and still be fine with the theme of the ballpark. And 2013 would be the earliest unless, they've already applied for notice of change before March 31(?) and submit a design before the end of May, I believe.

Archived