MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed that the Astros were wearing their brick hats with grey jerseys on the road Tuesday. I don't believe I've ever seen that. Is that something they've done before?

ic4Ce8.jpg

No but it looks pretty decent. They should wear those caps with the brick jerseys, at least at home. I've only ever seen them wear em with the all white home alts.

Brand new never before worn combination. I like it. The brick hat would look good with the brick alts as well.

I saw this on MLB Network and wondered who was playing against the braves. This is actually a nice combo.

This was against the Braves? What are they doing wearing not only the brick hats, but the gray roadies against someone other than Arizona? New owner having some influence already?

I can't explain the hats, but maybe the Braves were wearing their red alternates, thus forcing the Astros to wear their grays? Just a guess.

According to their Director of Social Media Alyson Footer, they decided to go with that hat/jersey combo on a whim because they'd never worn the combo before.

As for the greys, they've actually been wearing the greys more this season now that they've gone 100% COOLBASE on their uniform sets. It appears that the trend is greys for road day games, but that isn't 100% confirmed. It's more observational from watching most of their games. Well, and whenever the bricks clash (ATL red, CIN red, SFO orange, ARI red).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That's a fine idea and all but they'd basically look like the White Sox with a touch of red.

Not if it's done right. I wish I had the skill to do concepts. I can see the uniform in my head but I simply don't have the ability to create it.

BB52Big.jpg

That's a fine idea and all but they'd basically look like the White Sox with a touch of red.

Not if it's done right. I wish I had the skill to do concepts. I can see the uniform in my head but I simply don't have the ability to create it.

I agree in a vaccuum, but look at it in reality. The White Sox are established as black, white and a hint of gray/silver. The Rockies and Marlins have spent the past decade abandoning their colors and playing dress up like the White Sox. Also, the Astros have a history of wearing different color schemes, including navy and orange unis which were (love them or hate them) some of the most iconic in baseball history. I think navy and orange is a clear choice.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree in a vaccuum, but look at it in reality. The White Sox are established as black, white and a hint of gray/silver. The Rockies and Marlins have spent the past decade abandoning their colors and playing dress up like the White Sox. Also, the Astros have a history of wearing different color schemes, including navy and orange unis which were (love them or hate them) some of the most iconic in baseball history. I think navy and orange is a clear choice.

The uniform I'm envisioning looks nothing at all like the White Sox. Besides, if we're limiting color schemes to one team then we need to determine who wore red and blue first and tell all the other MLB teams using that scheme that it's time to change. There are only so many "usable" colors for sports uniforms. We can't get hung up on trying to make sure there are no repeats.

BB52Big.jpg

If anything it should be the White Sox who add red to their black and white scheme. Everytime I see a concept or an old picture of their current uniform but with red trim I say "doggonnit that's a darn fine uniform right there."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rocket and shuttle imagery for the Astros might be a bit much to ask with the Rockets just a few blocks down the road. The two teams have a partnership for television rights, but the new owner will clearly want to distinguish his club from others in town.

There's also the PC stuff with the recent shuttle snub. People in Houston (especially Clear Lake) aren't too thrilled with missing out.

Rocket and shuttle imagery for the Astros might be a bit much to ask with the Rockets just a few blocks down the road. The two teams have a partnership for television rights, but the new owner will clearly want to distinguish his club from others in town.

I completely disagree. I think that if anything, having hometown teams with similar imagery actually makes sense. It helps tie/bond hometown teams together, like sharing color schemes. Atlanta and Baltimore do it well, off the top of my head.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Is the Phillies' maroon (or whatever it was called) the correct shade? It is clearly darker than their helmets and undershirts, but it looks lighter than the pictures and merchandise I have seen from that era.

I think the maroon shade changed throughout it's tenure. It was quite dark at the end ('87 - '92) but I think it was a little lighter in the earlier days. For a while, they actually mixed red with maroon (home uniform pinstripes were red while trim was maroon.)

We've been over this many times in the past, but the reality is that this is the official color of the Phillies' Maroon throughout its tenure:

PhiadelphiaPhilliesMaroon_1991_SOL_SRGB.png

It has been explained to me - by people who would know - that this was a problematic color that had a tendency to severely fade over the course of a season, due to repeated washings and the effects of the sun. This is why it looks so much lighter in photographs...I would suspect that they may have even produced throwbacks in a lighter color in order to more accurately portray the color.

Every official Style Guide had the Phillies' Maroon as shown above.

Wow! I would have bet my life for all these years that the Phillies went from red to maroon at some point! Even Sports Products, the Cleveland-based company that used to make the souvenir helmets, had them going from red to maroon. They produced the helmets in bright red throughout most of the 1970s before switching to an obvious maroon. (I "think" the year was 1979.) This comes as a surprise much like the realization that the Astros didn't wear red caps 1971-75 or so.

With my jaw still dropped open, I checked out Dressed to the Nines, and lo and behold, all the colors look the same throughout that logo era. And taking a second look at some of the old Topps cards, it looks just as much maroon as is does red.

I think I let the souvenir helmet change lull me into believing that a change was made.

They need to go back to these. Maybe modernize them a little, but I think these were their best uniforms ever.

Giusti3.jpg

I'm almost with you, but my all-time favorite baseball uniform is the orange version. There has been so much navy in MLB, the orange was a refreshing change. This uniform did it well, without being over the top like the rainbow guts. I'm not sure that exact version of the shooting star still works, but a VERY slight modernization of these would make me ecstatic!

1971uni.gif

Wow! I would have bet my life for all these years that the Phillies went from red to maroon at some point! Even Sports Products, the Cleveland-based company that used to make the souvenir helmets, had them going from red to maroon. They produced the helmets in bright red throughout most of the 1970s before switching to an obvious maroon. (I "think" the year was 1979.) This comes as a surprise much like the realization that the Astros didn't wear red caps 1971-75 or so.

With my jaw still dropped open, I checked out Dressed to the Nines, and lo and behold, all the colors look the same throughout that logo era. And taking a second look at some of the old Topps cards, it looks just as much maroon as is does red.

It's a very confusing era. I have (or had) replica caps and helmets from when I was a kid that are bright cherry red. I also have replica caps that are dark-as-sh1t maroon that are probably from within a year or two of each other. We all know that the style guides aren't always 100% reliable, but I can't find any visual evidence that they actually wore red caps or helmets during this era (though a young Darren Daulton did wear a red helmet with the swirl-P under his catchers mask in '85 or '86.)

The weird thing was always the home uniform and how the pinstripes were red despite everything else being maroon. I know we've been over this before (but my memory blows) but I think it wasn't until '87 or '88 (whenever they added the swirl to the P on the jersey) that the stripes changed to maroon (though I'm waiting for CWx to tell me that they never changed... and I'd have no way to argue that.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I completely disagree. I think that if anything, having hometown teams with similar imagery actually makes sense. It helps tie/bond hometown teams together, like sharing color schemes. Atlanta and Baltimore do it well, off the top of my head.

What I posted wasn't necessarily my opinion, but rather my best guess as to what the Astros will decide to do, or not do in this case. Creating synergy between franchises can only be accomplished if all parties have an interest to do so. I've worked closely with both clubs, and while they do share a television rights' partnership (which will soon be a self-owned RSN), their relationship isn't strong enough for the Astros to adopt an image that is "Rocket-centric". For starters, since their partnership was formed, the Astros (especially former owner Drayton) have viewed the Rockets as their "little brother". This probably stems from the Astros franchise recently selling for $680M, while the Rockets are valued at ~$440M.

My point is that while it's fun to discuss and create rocket/starship concepts for the Astros, the reasons I listed above help explain why the Astros would probably never go in that direction.

OldRoman, my friend, I find it interesting that people have talked about the 'Stros going navy and orange (which is a fine combo) because it would be different than the Mets (royal and orange) and establish a unique ID.

However, did we all forget about this team ???

magglio_ordonez.jpg

The Tiggers are interesting because they almost have 2 IDs, but they are clearly navy and orange...Just saying.

You know, with HDTV being as good as it is, and even standard-def looking a little better, nobody really needs white outlines on grey uniforms anymore. It's especially superfluous and chunky on the Tigers' roads there. (Yankees too.) I'd like the orange D hat gone as well, but that's unrelated.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

OldRoman, my friend, I find it interesting that people have talked about the 'Stros going navy and orange (which is a fine combo) because it would be different than the Mets (royal and orange) and establish a unique ID.

However, did we all forget about this team ???

magglio_ordonez.jpg

The Tiggers are interesting because they almost have 2 IDs, but they are clearly navy and orange...Just saying.

I realize that, but there are a few qualifiers. The Tigers are in a different league, so at the very least someone sitting in the stands in Arizona wouldn't say "navy and orange, are we playing the Tigers?" I think there can be one team in each league with a certain fairly distinctive color scheme (such as Baltimore and SF with black and orange) without it being too much. However, for a team with a very unique color scheme, such as the Rockies and formerly the Marlins, I don't think it would be right for an AL team to have those colors.

But the most important difference between the Tigers and my vision for the Astros is that I would want the Astros to be orange with navy highlights, not navy with orange. This has been discussed before, as the Giants are black/orange while the Orioles are orange/black.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not only that, but the Tigers are really only blue and orange on the road. I think that when the average person thinks of the Tigers, they're thinking navy and white.

Archived