MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

They replaced the wave logo with the interlocking SD as their primary last year.

Really? I had no idea, and the main CCSL site was not updated to reflect that.

News to me

Yup. Don't know if there's an official announcement I can link to, but the SD is all over the web site while the wave is tough to find. The wave isn't gone for good, just relegated to secondary status.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/

Also, among other SD logo tidbits, Padres employees are required to wear the logo, usually as a pin, while at work. Check it out in this shot.

Just because it's used more often doesn't make it the official primary logo.

Case in point - the Phillies hardly ever use their liberty bell logo on anything official. Everything is this wordmark with a swirling baseball logo. I was certain that it was the new primary logo, but found out that they still use the bell logo on all of the style guides and logo sheets as the primary. That's why it's only really seen when tv broadcasts use primary (as opposed to cap) logos when they feature players or teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres SD is NOT the primary logo as spelled out by Properties. that said...on their sheets it does say that the club "prefers" you use the SD as the team's mark.

Weird...but true.

Thanks for clearing that up -- several NBA teams do the same: Raptors, Suns, Jazz to name a few

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They replaced the wave logo with the interlocking SD as their primary last year.

Really? I had no idea, and the main CCSL site was not updated to reflect that.

News to me

Yup. Don't know if there's an official announcement I can link to, but the SD is all over the web site while the wave is tough to find. The wave isn't gone for good, just relegated to secondary status.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/

Also, among other SD logo tidbits, Padres employees are required to wear the logo, usually as a pin, while at work. Check it out in this shot.

Just because it's used more often doesn't make it the official primary logo.

Case in point - the Phillies hardly ever use their liberty bell logo on anything official. Everything is this wordmark with a swirling baseball logo. I was certain that it was the new primary logo, but found out that they still use the bell logo on all of the style guides and logo sheets as the primary. That's why it's only really seen when tv broadcasts use primary (as opposed to cap) logos when they feature players or teams.

And the same is certainly true of the Yankees and Dodgers... You almost never see the official, primary logos of either franchise. Almost every media outlet and fashion jersey uses the cap logos.

Here are my "predictions" (if you can call them that) to what MLB uniform changes this year:

Boston Red Sox: Ditch the "hanging sox" cap.

Toronto Blue Jays: Complete overhaul. Most likely returning to something like this (with a lot of modernizations and such).

Baltimore Orioles: Add a orange alternate similar to the BP jerseys they wore on T-shirt giveaway nights.

Detroit Tigers: Add a navy alt with this logo (maybe).

Chicago White Sox: Change their black alt to full-time home uniform. (JK). :P

Oakland Athletics: Drop the black alt and adopt a yellow alt, such as a modernized version of this (No, it's not gold. this is gold, and this is yellow.

Texas Rangers: This probably won't happen but I would like them to restore the team name to the white home and red alt (hey, maybe if they win the World Series they will).

Seattle Mariners: I think there is a chance that they will readopt a teal alternate.

New York Mets: Nothing, unfortunately. They won't change their unis 2 years in a row, even though they failed last year. I would like to see them change to something along the lines of this.

Philadelhia Phillies: Change the road scipt to say Philadelphia? Or maybe add a red home alt. No.

Milwaukee Brewers: I'm pretty sure they're gonna put the city names on the gray roads.

Pittsburgh Pirates: Another doubtful one because it's been around so long, but it would be nice to see this as the official primary opposed to this.

San Diego Padres: Colour change. I think they are going to stick with the current format (minus the sand road primary) but change the colours to brown and yellow (no, not gold :rolleyes: ).

That's it, anything I missed?

25yzwqg.png

Here are my "predictions" (if you can call them that) to what MLB uniform changes this year:

The whole thread apparently... go back and re-read, you'll get an idea of what most of these changes actually are

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The whole thread apparently... go back and re-read, you'll get an idea of what most of these changes actually are

I'm sorry, I should have said what I want to happen, not really what I predict to happen. I guess some of those (A's, Brewers maybe, Red Sox maybe) might happen, but those were actually mostly what I wanted to happen. (Jays, Pads, Phils).

25yzwqg.png

The Padres & Jays both need to ditch their current sets altogether, I hope their changes next season are bigger than they are letting on.

And I have a hunch the Indians may be returning to something like this.

Wrong.

Ah man. I feel like the Indians need a redesign, and the "retro" alts they wear now are just ugly imo. I hope they're not making those the primaries. There's something about those late 80s threads I really like, don't know what it is.

I'm guessing that the Indians will remove the white outlining around their wordmark on both their home and away jersey and add an alternate jersey with a cursive "I" and the cursive "C" logo will replace Chief Wahoo on all hats. Just a guess. Anyone know if the Cardinals and Phillies are "really" adding a red alternate jersey for next season? Yankees adding an alternate as well? :unsure:

I'm guessing that the Indians will remove the white outlining around their wordmark on both their home and away jersey and add an alternate jersey with a cursive "I" and the cursive "C" logo will replace Chief Wahoo on all hats. Just a guess. Anyone know if the Cardinals and Phillies are "really" adding a red alternate jersey for next season? Yankees adding an alternate as well? :unsure:

If you dig back through the thread you'll find this piece of info...

Chief Wahoo isn't going away, but the script I hat is. Look for some positive changes to the uniform set.

...which led me to believe the redesign might look like the late 80s set. But apparently I'm "wrong" too. Anyone got any better predictions?

And the same is certainly true of the Yankees and Dodgers... You almost never see the official, primary logos of either franchise. Almost every media outlet and fashion jersey uses the cap logos.

I can't speak for the Dodgers, but that's not actually true about the Yankees. They use the top-hat logo a lot around town. On ads, on billboards, on merchandise, as the background of every significant press conference. They even wear it on the sleeves of every logo.

Sure, the print logo also sees a lot of use when they need a simpler image, but that's kind of the point of a print logo, isn't it? Doesn't mean the team has stopped using the primary.

I'm guessing that the Indians will remove the white outlining around their wordmark on both their home and away jersey and add an alternate jersey with a cursive "I" and the cursive "C" logo will replace Chief Wahoo on all hats. Just a guess.

Wrong (even more so than the last guy).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This doesn't get to do with anything new happening, but I must ask it.

Why does the giants have a white dot on their helmets while the button on their hats are orange?

the white dot is a factory standard for the rawlings helmets. you can see this if you order one from a retail outlet like baseball express. the white dot is put there as a placeholder. so if the team doesn't order helmet button decals to match their cap, the white will be what shows.

sig2024.png

By way of the Tacoma News Tribune on Twitter:

"The green jerseys will be alternate tops for Mondays and Fridays at home. The navy tops will be the road alternate jerseys. #Mariners"

:jawdrop:

No way! They brought the teal back?! :boogie: I honestly thought they'd never do this... O_o Any word on the teal caps coming back?

Now, if the M's could get rid of the current navy alt and bring back the one they had in 2000 (the one that had SEATTLE on it and silver piping down the chest), their uniform set would be perfect. ^_^

That is a great start from the Mariners. Now, please revert everything to 1996. Bring back the teal brimmed cap at home FULL TIME with matching batting helmets, use the teal alt jersey sparingly for both home and road games, and maybe even bring back the alternate teal cap with the navy brim. There is no reason for the navy jersey to even exist.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived