UnclearInitial

MLB Logo&Uniform changes

I think there are a good number of teams that would look better with colored road jerseys. The matching colored pants can stay in the past, but colored road jerseys are fine by me. Just pair them with white pants (gray looks worse in almost every case) and most teams would look better on the road. It's not 1900, teams have modern washing technology and don't need to wear gray on the road. Teams with traditional looks (Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.) should all stick with gray, but I'd like to see more color.

It's also not high school baseball.

As to any suggestions as to tinting the grey jerseys, keep in mind that it took years for Majestic to even be able to get ANY grey jersey made in COOLBASE. They couldn't get the color to come out correctly. That's why everyone currently wearing COOLBASE grey is wearing the same shade: they stopped trying to match the shades of each individual team's grey once they got one shade. With MLB slowly moving away from doubleknit, and Majestic showing no real urgent need to tweak the color, I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll revisit the idea of alternate grey shades anytime soon, even if it might look nice.

You gray-lovers do realize that non-gray road uniforms were common in the 1900s and 1910s, right? So they'd fulfill your "old-timey" quotient. :P

Also, since Majestic can't produce different tints of gray anymore and the shade they're using is horrendous, there's no reason for teams to still wear gray anymore on the road, other than more of the same blind clinging to nostalgia from the MLB.

You gray-lovers do realize that non-gray road uniforms were common in the 1900s and 1910s, right? So they'd fulfill your "old-timey" quotient. :P

The one's your suggesting look like colored uniforms that were thought to be "too much" back during the days of the rainbow guts.

Also, since Majestic can't produce different tints of gray anymore and the shade they're using is horrendous, there's no reason for teams to still wear gray anymore on the road, other than more of the same blind clinging to nostalgia from the MLB.

Still a better reason than to go back to something that made them look like some terrible fictional team from a bad 70's movie.

So because some teams didn't pull it off well in the '70s, it's an impossibility for a team to make a non-gray road uniform look good now?

I believe those Phillies jerseys also feature a zipper front, which was eventually switched out for the standard button down in the late 80s along with the powder blue road being ditched for gray.

This is correct. I love it - Phillies get some Rule 5 guy (who's been kicking ass lately) and ICS becomes a treasure chest of Phillies knowledge.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit!

I think there are a good number of teams that would look better with colored road jerseys. The matching colored pants can stay in the past, but colored road jerseys are fine by me. Just pair them with white pants (gray looks worse in almost every case) and most teams would look better on the road. It's not 1900, teams have modern washing technology and don't need to wear gray on the road. Teams with traditional looks (Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.) should all stick with gray, but I'd like to see more color.

It's also not high school baseball.

Tell me about it. I think the '80s trend of colored road jerseys with white pants is a terrible cop-out and far worse than powder blue road unis. That was a trend that couldn't die quickly enough.

I believe those Phillies jerseys also feature a zipper front, which was eventually switched out for the standard button down in the late 80s along with the powder blue road being ditched for gray.

This is correct. I love it - Phillies get some Rule 5 guy (who's been kicking ass lately) and ICS becomes a treasure chest of Phillies knowledge.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit!

I just got Clay Davis'ed

I remember the first time I saw those gray and maroon Phillies road uniforms. Will Clark hit a grand slam in that game :P

Of course, that was the same season that Kevin Mitchell ruined the attempt some Cubs fans made to break their curse. He allegedly ate the sacrificial billy goat before those poor Cubs fans can carry out their ritual.

So because some teams didn't pull it off well in the '70s, it's an impossibility for a team to make a non-gray road uniform look good now?

The definition of insanity is to make the same mistake more then once and to expect a different result.

I thought the goal of a uniform was just to look good. If a powder blue uniform looks good (like the Royals' old roads) then it's hardly "insanity," right?

I thought the goal of a uniform was just to look good. If a powder blue uniform looks good (like the Royals' old roads) then it's hardly "insanity," right?

You assume that the all powder blues looking good is a fact. It isn't, it's your opinion. One I happen to disagree with. The powder blue pants look like pajamas to me.

You assume that the all powder blues looking good is a fact. It isn't, it's your opinion. One I happen to disagree with. The powder blue pants look like pajamas to me.

Amen! ;)

Fine - wear them with white pants, then. If you like the Royals' current powder blue alternates, why would it matter if they changed scripts to the "Kansas City" script and wore them full-time on the road?

They're not all the same. Up until (I think) '87, the pinstripes were actually red, despite the racing stripes and P being maroon. Also, the chest logo changed from the sans swirl P to the swirl P (like the cap logo) either the same year, or right around the same year (they couldn't wear it on their jerseys up until then because it was deemed to resemble a baseball.)

Also the numbers on the front of the home jersey got thicker

%2521BvMgCUQ%2521mk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521hMEv1%252B0Fe45BMDj0PpM7g%257E%257E_12.jpg514doYl6nrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Speaking of switches from powder blue to gray, here's something we only saw for 2 months....Mike Schmidt in gray

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.1989.jpg

As for why the Phils are wearing the '84 jerseys tomorrow night even though there's no significance, I think they did it just to match the '84s ('83s?) San Diego is wearing. Poor Padres....brown unis with a 110-115 heat index... ^_^

They're not all the same. Up until (I think) '87, the pinstripes were actually red, despite the racing stripes and P being maroon. Also, the chest logo changed from the sans swirl P to the swirl P (like the cap logo) either the same year, or right around the same year (they couldn't wear it on their jerseys up until then because it was deemed to resemble a baseball.)

Also the numbers on the front of the home jersey got thicker

%2521BvMgCUQ%2521mk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521hMEv1%252B0Fe45BMDj0PpM7g%257E%257E_12.jpg514doYl6nrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Speaking of switches from powder blue to gray, here's something we only saw for 2 months....Mike Schmidt in gray

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.1989.jpg

yea im going to feel bad for them while im watching the game at home with my AC on, hope its not that hot when im at the game next sat vs Pitt

As for why the Phils are wearing the '84 jerseys tomorrow night even though there's no significance, I think they did it just to match the '84s ('83s?) San Diego is wearing. Poor Padres....brown unis with a 110-115 heat index... ^_^

That Phillies gray jersey is among my faves. I love maroon and gray/silver look together. Only real memory of that jersey is Tommy Greene's no hitter in Montreal.

Fine - wear them with white pants, then. If you like the Royals' current powder blue alternates, why would it matter if they changed scripts to the "Kansas City" script and wore them full-time on the road?

Because has we pointed out previously on this very page, colored jerseys over white pants for a road uniform is extremely amateurish. It's what we did in high school. We wore white vest uniforms with maroon sleeves at home and then a maroon mesh pullover on the road over the white pants. It is NOT a look for a major league team.

See, I think the idea of pigeonholing a certain aesthetic as the only one that "looks major league" is dumb. Modern and classic uniforms have coexisted for decades in football, basketball, and hockey. I don't see how baseball is any different. After all, the goal of a uniform is just to look good, not to conform to a certain trend, isn't it?

See, I think the idea of pigeonholing a certain aesthetic as the only one that "looks major league" is dumb. Modern and classic uniforms have coexisted for decades in football, basketball, and hockey. I don't see how baseball is any different.

It's not pidgeonholding. It's been tried and failed. And it's different from the other sports because a full jersey and full length pants (no team is gonna have everyone hike up their pantlegs every game) in monochrome color looks horrible on grown men. That's why the monochrome look with matching color socks looks awful in football. Basketball uses shorts and tank tops. It's not long pants and short sleeves to long sleeves. Hockey uses full sweaters, but basically shorts. It's not the same thing as baseball.

After all, the goal of a uniform is just to look good, not to conform to a certain trend, isn't it?

We have all pretty much agreed that they simply don't look good. You can think they look good all you want. That's your opinion. But you can't prove us wrong in our opinion that we think it looks bad.