UnclearInitial

MLB Logo&Uniform changes

See, I think the idea of pigeonholing a certain aesthetic as the only one that "looks major league" is dumb. Modern and classic uniforms have coexisted for decades in football, basketball, and hockey. I don't see how baseball is any different. After all, the goal of a uniform is just to look good, not to conform to a certain trend, isn't it?

There's nothing wrong a modern look in baseball, but like McCall I don't see a powder blue top/white pants look as modern, simply high schoolish.

Like it or not, each sport's uniform aesthetic has evolved a certain way that dictates how the majority of people see a certain look. Baseball, whether you like it or not, has evolved to the point where grey road uniforms are to be expected in the majors. Wearing white pants with coloured jerseys on the road is something that people associate with high school baseball because that's how the look of the uniform has evolved at that level.

Yes, the goal is to look good, but part of looking good is looking like you belong. A team in the majors shouldn't wear coloured tops with white pants on the road because it looks amateurish. It's why some people have a problem with the Dallas Stars' current sweaters with the arched names and front numbers. That's the kind of look a hockey team wears at the college level, not the type of look that a team wears at the NHL level. Same thing here with baseball.

The aesthetics of the game have evolved to the point where there are certain standards that people expect out of a major league team in regards to their uniforms. Now within that context teams are free to throwback, move forward, experiment, or play it safe, whatever looks good for the team in question (modern vs traditional is often a question that depends in the specific team), but there are certain things that just scream "major league uniform" that they all have to follow. A coloured jersey/white pants road set just doesn't look like it belongs in the Majors.

Now a powder blue jersey/grey pants combo on the road is something I could get behind, and the powder blue/white pants look is solid for a home alternate look, if that counts for anything.

Also, someone get UnderArmour that MLB contract. Those faux wool greys are beautiful.

Also, someone get UnderArmour that MLB contract. Those faux wool greys are beautiful.

pg2_05142010_576.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

pg2_e_mizzou12_400.jpg

Oh man. Pure sweetness.

Powder blue jersey with gray pants would be horrible. They are too close to one another and would clash. Some of the old '70s / '80s powder blues seemed really blue, but others (Royals for example) seemed not so bold (I say "seemed", because I'm just going by memory and I have no idea if different blues were actually used.) I see nothing wrong with the Royals matching their blue tops with blue pants.

Ideally I would agree with you. All red, orange, green, and yellow uniforms looks putrid, because it was just so much colour. Powder blue (or at least the shade the Royals use) seems muted enough to stand in for grey, but whenever I see it in action I can't help but think they look like pyjamas.

I can see where the '80s powder blues might have looked like pajamas (or hospital scrubs, for that matter) but the shade they use now is less intense.

bo%20jackson.jpg

vs.

8-2520duckworth.jpg

Hmmm. It could work, but I'd have to see a real world mock-up. It does seem like a more promising shade then the previous shade though.

37Be0.png

Ideally, it would have the Kansas City script instead of the Royals script, but I didn't feel like changing it in the mockup.

Yes, Kansas City's powder blue roads look nice, but there's no reason why they can't just stick with a powder blue alternate top and pair it with home white or road grey pants.

First of all, powder blue and grey would look really awful. Secondly, here's why they shouldn't continue to relegate powder blue to alternate status - this would look very classy as their full-time road uniform:

Fr3Qd.png

That looks awful.

Can you make the pants white? I'd like to see how that would look.

This is the most unoriginal concept yet, but I love this so much......why not???? Even if it was just an alternate road uniform, imagine if they actually got into the playoffs?? They'd surely be wearing these on the road the whole time.

kcblue2.png

Change "Royals" to "Kansas City" on those powder blues and it would look awesome.

Unlike the road uniforms earlier this year, the Phils shelled out for matching batting helmets for tonight's game. The maroon looks darker than I remember...

video

Pants legs up, gentlemen. Come on now.

A few players did, including Ryan Madson (which you can't see above) and Cameron Maybin going with stirrups

2d806fabe56b4f0f3c89f3240dc1c10f-getty-119607327.jpg

This has probably already been said, but are the Padres wearing the throwbacks for all games now? I feel like whenever I see them now they're in the brown unis. Also I like the look of white pants on the road with a color top. If the jersey is colored, I think it generally looks better with white pants.

Wish the stros would return to the whole set from the last years in the dome! I love the old ones but the gold and navy blur was a great move which sent them to another unmistakable identity that they had with their older set. The current ones wantto be vintage but they had great old unis no need to try to redo the old, move forward!

Wish the stros would return to the whole set from the last years in the dome!

move forward!

Wish the stros would return to the whole set from the last years in the dome!

move forward!

Must be Australian. Everything is in reverse down under.