MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

And those 9/11 caps are perfect. I think that's a much better choice than the stars and stripes set they wear on July 4th.

Agreed. I think the July 4th caps are very goofy-looking and clash with almost everything. The simple "flag on the cap" looks so much more respectful... and respectable.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And those 9/11 caps are perfect. I think that's a much better choice than the stars and stripes set they wear on July 4th.

Agreed. I think the July 4th caps are very goofy-looking and clash with almost everything. The simple "flag on the cap" looks so much more respectful... and respectable.

I actually liked the Indians' S&S cap they wore this year. Really dug the blue and white; but they wore it with the wrong unis and the blue was wrong.

Regardless I would own one of those caps if they carried anything higher than a 7 1/2 at the team shop by my house.

But yes the days are worlds apart in their tone. You don't celebrate 9/11, you acknowledge it. I think the caps perfectly capture that.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

I actually liked the Indians' S&S cap they wore this year. Really dug the blue and white; but they wore it with the wrong unis and the blue was wrong.

Yeah, if you root for a red-white-blue team, then it probably wasn't so bad.

But seeing the Orioles wearing a cap with a red or blue bill... it just looks like :censored:.

After watching the Angels in their '90s throwbacks last night, I can't help but think how much better they would look in navy.

It's true. But until Arte Moreno leaves, we'll never see the Angels look like they should. *shrug*

After watching the Angels in their '90s throwbacks last night, I can't help but think how much better they would look in navy.

Red is the perfect colour for the Angels. Not only is their current red-based set associated with a World Series win, but being a red team creates a neat red vs blue team dynamic with the Dodgers.

Red is the perfect colour for the Angels. Not only is their current red-based set associated with a World Series win, but being a red team creates a neat red vs blue team dynamic with the Dodgers.

I do think the blue crowned sets (especially the 80s set with the thick halo) look way better. But I do agree with your statement too. It'd be weird if the Angels changed back now, and it would ruin that dynamic.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't see at all how red is the "perfect" color for the Angels. And if teams always kept the same color schemes just because they won a championship in them, we would see very little progression in color schemes in sports.

Teams don't have to wear "opposite" colors just because they share a city. Just look at Chicago and New York. If there's a rivalry, it will exist, regardless of color schemes. Boston and New York sometimes almost look like clones, but they comprise arguably the biggest rivalry in MLB history.

I actually think the Angels would look good and appropriate in the Rays colors. I think it fits their identity much better than the overwhelming red they use. It might take time to adjust to that, but that's true of almost any color scheme change.

I don't see at all how red is the "perfect" color for the Angels. And if teams always kept the same color schemes just because they won a championship in them, we would see very little progression in color schemes in sports.

It's about legacy. You see pictures/replays of your team winning a championship in one uniform, but playing in an other, and it causes a bit of disconnect.

Teams don't have to wear "opposite" colors just because they share a city. Just look at Chicago and New York. If there's a rivalry, it will exist, regardless of color schemes. Boston and New York sometimes almost look like clones, but they comprise arguably the biggest rivalry in MLB history.

Of course teams don't have to wear "opposite" colours if they share a city. What the Angels stumbled upon, however, was a fantastic branding opportunity. The Dodgers are a MLB institution. Sure, they didn't start out in LA, but the Dodgers as a baseball brand is still very, very strong. By wearing red the Angels are able to give themselves a brand totally distinct from the Dodgers. They're able to be the "red team." That might sound silly, but it does help distinguish them from the blue-clad Dodgers.

I actually think the Angels would look good and appropriate in the Rays colors. I think it fits their identity much better than the overwhelming red they use. It might take time to adjust to that, but that's true of almost any color scheme change.

The-Archangel-Michael.jpg

Renaissance%20Angel%20copy.jpg

angel-fragment-of-the-baronci-altarpiece.jpg

Red is a perfectly appropriate color for angels.

It's about legacy. You see pictures/replays of your team winning a championship in one uniform, but playing in an other, and it causes a bit of disconnect.

So are you saying that once a team wins a championship in a uniform, that they should never change jerseys, or even colors, again? Do you realize how silly that sounds, and how awful sports leagues would look if that rule was actually followed?

That's a pretty silly way to defend red being a "perfect" Angels color. You could probably find a picture of almost any team name in a certain color, and conclude that therefore it's a "perfect" color for that sports team.

Those are pretty bad examples, too. The third one barely has any red, and I guarantee those angels are not the first images of angels that come to mind for at least 99% of the population. I've never even seen those pictures before. Not many people think of "red" when they think of "angels."

So are you saying that once a team wins a championship in a uniform, that they should never change jerseys, or even colors, again? Do you realize how silly that sounds, and how awful sports leagues would look if that rule was actually followed?

Should the Montreal Canadiens still wear their 1915-16 uniforms? Should the San Francisco Giants still wear their 1905 uniforms? Of course not. There comes a point, however, when a franchise is defined by a single look in the minds of most people, the way that team "should" look. More often then not the team's won quite a few championships in them. It's when success (ie winning of championships) coincides with widespread use of photography and media coverage. When this happens a team should stick with their iconic look, the look that most people think of when they think of the franchise.

Now does that qualify for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and their primarily red uniforms? Who knows? To be perfectly honest I don't think the Angels are a team that has made that much of an impact on the collective public imagination. Still, they have a recent World Series win to their credit wearing red, and when you combine that with the marketing opportunity wearing red affords them in a market shared with a legacy franchise that wears primarily blue, I think red is easily the best option for the team.

That's a pretty silly way to defend red being a "perfect" Angels color. You could probably find a picture of almost any team name in a certain color, and conclude that therefore it's a "perfect" color for that sports team.

Those are pretty bad examples, too. The third one barely has any red, and I guarantee those angels are not the first images of angels that come to mind for at least 99% of the population. I've never even seen those pictures before. Not many people think of "red" when they think of "angels."

So because you've never seen them makes them bad examples? Would it kill you to go to an art museum once in your life? :upside: (the upside down emoticon indicates a joke, so don't freak out).

Anyhow here's the problem with your suggestion that the Angels wear double blue and athletic gold; it's taking the nickname to literally. Do the Philadelphia Eagles wear black and white? Do the Chicago Bears wear wear brown or black? No. Double blue and athletic gold is a colour scheme without any precedent in Angels history. It's not the perfect colour for the team because the team never wore it. Even the primarily red uniforms, with its navy trim, is rooted in the team's visual history. The team has been around for 50 years. You can't introduce a completely new colour scheme in after 50 years of wearing variations of the same scheme.

Another plus to the red, is that it was mostly a return to an updated look that they had long used, after the disaster that was the Disney periwinkle era. The logo and lettering/numerals are an updated and improved version of what they have previously used, more of a great combination, actually, of the 70's-80's and the last California Angels set before Disney. Only this time they reversed their primary and secondary colors and it has created a wonderful identity, the red/blue situation being an incidental bonus. And as to the WS viewpoint, it really does become an aspect with a successful look. If they had won it during the periwinkle phase, then no, it would still need to be changed. But they won it with a classy look that has now become synonymous with their newfound success over the last decade.

The MLB will not wear those stars and stripes caps on 9/11. Instead they will wear these flag patches.

262994_10150342981260767_61361310766_10270468_5496245_n.jpg

Anything to do with this?

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

I guess that the Stars and Stripes were considered messing with the flag. Though they're not military personnel, firefighters, etc...it's to honour them in a patriotic way, so I guess that's why they "allow" a patch.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Another plus to the red, is that it was mostly a return to an updated look that they had long used, after the disaster that was the Disney periwinkle era. The logo and lettering/numerals are an updated and improved version of what they have previously used, more of a great combination, actually, of the 70's-80's and the last California Angels set before Disney. Only this time they reversed their primary and secondary colors and it has created a wonderful identity, the red/blue situation being an incidental bonus. And as to the WS viewpoint, it really does become an aspect with a successful look. If they had won it during the periwinkle phase, then no, it would still need to be changed. But they won it with a classy look that has now become synonymous with their newfound success over the last decade.

They wouldn't have to make a major overhaul. All they'd have to do is change the hats to navy with red bills, change the undershirts and socks to navy, and switch to the triple-colored (navy-red-navy) piping; and add a navy alternate jersey. They could still keep the same logo, lettering, number font, etc. It would basically be just a modernized version of their traditional uniforms.

I disagree. Logos that are the same color as the backing hats never look good, and that's my biggest issue with the Angels hat (that and suspiciously looking like a uniform a division rival discarded the year before).

As much as I hate the :censored:ing Angels, THIS was a beautiful hat.

ANA-FBP.gif

Agreed (with a :censored: Rangers' fan :D ). That's one of my favorite caps, although I generally wear it for my softball games.

When people think Angels, most think White robes/Wings and a Yellow/Gold halo. I don't think a white teams leads to much considering every team has a white uniform. I'd stick with the red, as there's less red in baseball than blue, along with the fact that the Dodgers already have blue on lock in LA.

Manchester-City-icon.png

There's a great passage in Infinite Jest where one of the main characters is a punter for the Arizona Cardinals and has to come on the field with his team while flapping big bird wings together. I always think of that when people get hung up on literal interpretations of nicknames.

The Angels' set isn't perfect. I like the red hats, but the red A gets lost on the red background, and making the A on the hat white or yellow would compromise the integrity of the actual Big A, which itself has only ever been red. The typeface is starting to get a little sterile to me and I'm seeing a charm to the 1993-1996 scripts that I didn't appreciate. Nevertheless, it's still the best the team has ever looked, after generally looking like Boston hand-me-downs, Disney monstrosities, or forgettable vanilla.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived