The GAP's new logo

BadSeed84

Downgrade? Really? Okay, first of all you have to have a good logo for it to be a downgrade. GAP's original logo was far from a good logo. Iconic? What, because it's been around for 20 years or so? This is like saying the Clippers logo and the Clippers are iconic and that the new Clippers logo, uniforms, and team are a downgrade from the previous one. Um, sorry. But when you start with crap, and change to crap, it's still crap. That is exactly what the GAP logos are.

I partially agree with you. Yes, the Gap's original logo was terrible. I have never been a fan. However, to say that their new logo is on the same level is laughable. If anything, the Gap has found a logo more horrendous to become identified with. There are differing levels of crap, and the new design is still far worse than the original.

And like it or not, their original logo was iconic. No one ever said attractiveness was a requirement of reaching that status.

SIGNATURE.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of logos that aren't that great reach icon status. Think about it; McDonald's...not a fantastic logo by any means, but if they changed it, people would scream bloody murder.

I'm right on board with everybody, this is a terrible downgrade. If they are reaching out to the design community to "supply" them with a new one, they damn well better pay up. I can only imagine how much they paid for the piece of garbage they came up with. Any news on if it was an in house job, or if this was a firm designed logo?

An unofficial redesign "contest". Some interesting works.

The new logo was done by Laird & Partners,who say they are@

a leading New York-based creative agency specializing in fashion, lifestyle, and luxury branding and advertising

Can't believe they have now turned it into a crowdsourcing contest.

logo.png

They're not wrong.

Nobody's going to stop buying their clothes over this. All it did is show how many people actually care about The Gap and put its name in the spotlight.

I'm not saying that should be the goal, but it's not like Gap is particularly wrong in saying what they are.

This is only going to bring more press The Gap's way, which will probably mean an increase in their sales.

This will go over as well as the Tropicana carton redesign. They'll scrap it soon. They just have to, right?

This is why focus groups suck...

The Tropicana redesign was great. Terrible decision to revert back on their part. People complained they couldn't find it in the aisle anymore. So they switched it back to a white carton with a big orange on it. Oh. Because most all of the other brands don't use exactly that. Stupid.

Their old logo was perfect. Yes, it was simple, uninspiring, etc. But it was also clean, classy, and looked great on shopping bags. Just the big classic letters 'GAP' on a navy bag. It was elegant in a way, and this is a fashion store that sells pretty simple clothing so IMO it was a good thing to have a logo that didn't make the clothing inside look as if it was accidentally simple.

I think of the Armani Exchange logo in the same light. Simple? Yes. But a perfect logo/design for what it is. Clean branding.

AFedotowsky071510_02-full.jpg

The first logo was a fun, informal branding for the '70's/early 80's, while the middle one was more of a classic, conservative branding, which worked well.

The new logo?? I can't see that going up in front of their stores unless they've branched out into financial services. Proof that the Peter Principal has some merit.

5070169804_3d90961ccb_o.jpg

The new logo wouldn't be so bad if they put a colored background like the old logo.

As for my opinion about the GAP new logo I remember seeing the GAP logo on the wall at Jack Murphy Stadium, Candlestick Park and Joe Robbie Stadium back in 93 and I didn't know what was the GAP at the time until I saw their famous comercials oh and the GAP troll from MADtv. LOL

Archived