Sharing Stadiums

Brick

When the Mets and Jets shared Shea Stadium, each team had its own locker room. After the Jets left, their old room was used for press conferences, and it was used by the Angels when their game vs. the Yankees got moved to Shea due to the crumbling of Yankee Stadium (which proved Shea was better than Yankee Stadium).

well, yeah, but yankee stadium was built in the 1920s not the 1960s

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could confirm this, but I've read in a lot of different places that the only things the the renovated post-1976(?) Yankee Stadium had in common with the 1923 Yankee Stadium was the exterior and location.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Mets and Jets shared Shea Stadium, each team had its own locker room. After the Jets left, their old room was used for press conferences, and it was used by the Angels when their game vs. the Yankees got moved to Shea due to the crumbling of Yankee Stadium (which proved Shea was better than Yankee Stadium).

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could confirm this, but I've read in a lot of different places that the only things the the renovated post-1976(?) Yankee Stadium had in common with the 1923 Yankee Stadium was the exterior and location.

Not really. They redid the exterior, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not really. They redid the exterior, too.

So was the reinvented Yankee stadium (1976) like the reinvented Soldier Field (2003) a completely different stadium with the old name

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

So was the reinvented Yankee stadium (1976) like the reinvented Soldier Field (2003) a completely different stadium with the old name

When the Expos, moved to Washington, I always considered RFK to be the 3rd oldest stadium in MLB - not Yankee Stadium, and opened to baseball one day before Dodger Stadium.

I can find some pictures I took of the oval Nationals locker room. Thanks for all the responses. No one's given an clear answer on how it was before the current setup where every home team, even the colleges, have their own locker room.

I know for a fact that the old Meadowlands Stadium had locker rooms for the Giants, Jets, visitors, and Red Bulls.

The Superdome has a separate locker room for the Saints as well as at least two additional locker rooms, mainly for Tulane and the visiting college team. I'm not sure if there is an additional locker room for NFL visiting teams.

In Oakland, the Coliseum and Oracle Arena (Home of the Warriors) are connected, and inside the middle building is the Raiders' locker room. Raiders' fans are familiar with the walk to the field which is roughly 3 large flights of stairs to the field. On the 2nd level is the Athletics locker room which the Raiders cut through to get to the field. Also on the 2nd level is the visiting team locker room which is shared by both baseball and football, which seemed very crowded for football.

"Roll Along"

Reliant Stadium in Houston has several locker rooms. One for the Texans that is clearly the nicest in the building, plus two for college teams, one for the Texans cheerleaders, and one to be used by cowboys/rodeo personnel during the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo held at Reliant.

Most new arenas have all kinds of locker rooms. One for each of the home teams, a few for visiting teams and some dressing rooms for concerts and stuff like that.

Especially basketball/hockey arenas. They are now built with at least 4 team-size locker rooms (in addition to the home locker rooms) so they can bid to host NCAA and Conference Basketball Tournaments. Even smaller arenas like Gwinnett Center outside of Atlanta and Alltel Arena in Little Rock have 6 locker rooms each so they can bid on these events.

This sparks an idea, how about a thread with inside looks at teams' locker rooms? Would be something cool to explore...

It would be interesting, but you sure as hell better get permission from the teams before posting them. Some teams have really-strict policies about photos of their home locker rooms getting posted online.

The Utah Jazz had an open house right after they built their locker room but now it's closed to the general public and you need a special card to get in.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sun Devil Stadium was interesting setup. At the open end of the horsehoe is a very large and state of the art facility for the Arizona Sun Devils. At the closed end is a very long walk under the stadium and down a gated ramp to the Cardinals old locker room and visiting locker room. The facility just about sits outside the stadium itself. Not sure how the setup worked during the Fiesta Bowls. The only other stadium I have been in the NFL was Candelstick. The visiting locker room sat under the bleachers of the old right field baseball setup. It was a small cramped locker room, but it did have a very cool feature. Every team that played there left both sides of their helmet decals on a wall. I was there in 2004 and it was cool to see decals from the early 90s and possible 80s, wish I took a picture. Not 100% about the home setup. They came out of the first base dugout so maybe someone has more information about it.

"Roll Along"

This sparks an idea, how about a thread with inside looks at teams' locker rooms? Would be something cool to explore...

It would be interesting, but you sure as hell better get permission from the teams before posting them. Some teams have really-strict policies about photos of their home locker rooms getting posted online.

I took a tour of Allianz Arena this summer and we weren't even allowed to take pictures in Bayern Munich's locker room. FSV 1860's locker room however, we were free to take all that we wanted, and it wasn't roped off like Bayern's.

Most new arenas have all kinds of locker rooms. One for each of the home teams, a few for visiting teams and some dressing rooms for concerts and stuff like that.

Especially basketball/hockey arenas. They are now built with at least 4 team-size locker rooms (in addition to the home locker rooms) so they can bid to host NCAA and Conference Basketball Tournaments. Even smaller arenas like Gwinnett Center outside of Atlanta and Alltel Arena in Little Rock have 6 locker rooms each so they can bid on these events.

Louisville's new arena, KFC Yum! Center has the following:

Home team men?s locker room (University of Louisville)

Home team women?s locker room (University of Louisville)

Visiting basketball locker room

Five auxiliary locker rooms

One men?s and one women?s officials locker rooms

One men?s and one women?s employee locker rooms

Five star dressing rooms

One ?green? room

Also note that the NBA does have specifications which the NHL locker room wont have, like the height of the shower fixtures.

This makes me think about the upcoming college football game at Wrigley Field. I've been in the Wrigley locker rooms, and they are teeny tiny. Small even for baseball. How are they going to accommodate nearly three times again as much personnel? There's only so much room there, even with all the upgrades in the past few years.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

This makes me think about the upcoming college football game at Wrigley Field. I've been in the Wrigley locker rooms, and they are teeny tiny. Small even for baseball. How are they going to accommodate nearly three times again as much personnel? There's only so much room there, even with all the upgrades in the past few years.

The Bears played at Wrigley Field for many years. They can make this college game work.

Over at baseball-fever.com, there is a long, long thread about pictures inside locker rooms.

Archived