2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it just goes to show how "systems" bring out the best in certain players. Hedo stunk the joint up in Toronto and malcontented his way out of there...then he couldn't start for a mediocre Phoenix team, but he'll come back to Orlando and (if he can find his swagger again) ball out once again. I'm curious to see how Jason Richardson is going to perform. To me, he's the best player in the deal. I don't think the Magic were going to be able to compete with Boston and Miami how they were previously constituted and I'm not sure they'll be able to after these moves, but at least they shouldn't have such massive trouble putting up points for long stretches. Besides, Stan Van Gundy will have fun yelling at new players until he grinds the hell out of them. That's kind of his thing and he's really, really good at it.

I know Washington wanted to get rid of Agent 9(mm) in the worst of ways, but all you get back is Rashard godforsaken Lewis? This ain't NFL countdown and I'm not Cris Carter, but "come on, man!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think it just goes to show how "systems" bring out the best in certain players. Hedo stunk the joint up in Toronto and malcontented his way out of there...then he couldn't start for a mediocre Phoenix team, but he'll come back to Orlando and (if he can find his swagger again) ball out once again. I'm curious to see how Jason Richardson is going to perform. To me, he's the best player in the deal. I don't think the Magic were going to be able to compete with Boston and Miami how they were previously constituted and I'm not sure they'll be able to after these moves, but at least they shouldn't have such massive trouble putting up points for long stretches. Besides, Stan Van Gundy will have fun yelling at new players until he grinds the hell out of them. That's kind of his thing and he's really, really good at it.

I know Washington wanted to get rid of Agent 9(mm) in the worst of ways, but all you get back is Rashard godforsaken Lewis? This ain't NFL countdown and I'm not Cris Carter, but "come on, man!"

They basically dumped Gilbert's contract for Lewis'. Now they have he and Josh Howard so are the same player. Flip is bound to be on NBATV seven months from now.

That would have been a somewhat smart move if Rashard Lewis' contract wasnt the second worst contract in the NBA. Congrats, you dumped a bad contract. Here's another one.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

That would have been a somewhat smart move if Rashard Lewis' contract wasnt the second worst contract in the NBA. Congrats, you dumped a bad contract. Here's another one.

Lewis' contract ends a year before Gilbert's, so they saved a year monetarily and keep Gilbert from infecting Wall. Howard is on a one year contract, so he should be gone too.

Lewis' contract ends a year before Gilbert's, so they saved a year monetarily and keep Gilbert from infecting Wall. Howard is on a one year contract, so he should be gone too.

Gilbert Arenas is bat :censored: crazy, but I don't see how he would have "infected" John Wall.

Rashard Lewis' contract might be shorter, but the Wizards just put themselves on the hook for $6.5 million MORE over a shorter period of time. They dumped a bad contract for an all-time horrendous contract. Will Lewis even start?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does anyone else think this is eerily similar to how the Cavs used to make wild trades to placate LeBron? I'm starting to wonder if Howard is getting fed up in Orlando.

It's either that or they're going all out to make sure they can beat Miami in the postseason.

Does anyone else think this is eerily similar to how the Cavs used to make wild trades to placate LeBron? I'm starting to wonder if Howard is getting fed up in Orlando.

He going to take his talents to South...

... Dakota

I saw, I came, I left.

He going to take his talents to South...

... Dakota

Good. Our base rec league team could use a big man.

IUe6Hvh.png

Who got the better of the deal: Orlando or Phoenix?

Based on what I see, the Magic gets my voite.

Short-term, it's gotta be Orlando. They get the best player in the deal in Jason Richardson, and a player that actually thrived under Stan Van Gundy (probably the only player ever to do that) in Hedo Turkoglu. They basically give up a declining overrated "star" player that and a guy who's athletic that can't shoot. Big whoop, right?

However, it's not like the Suns were going to do anything this season anyway. Once you take into account the contracts, which of course is Phoenix's impetus for doing this or any deal, it was a relative no-brainer for what's become such a cheap frugal franchise in Robert Sarver's tenure. Of all the players they gave up, they'll certainly miss Richardson (who was ballin' in a contract year), but they have other guys that can score. Let Nash shoot more anyway.

I know the Arenas move isn't part of the Phoenix deal, but when you put them all together, the Magic took on two horrible contracts in Arenas and Turkoglu. Richarson is going to walk this offseason and he's better than both of them. These are two huge "reach" moves that could easily blow up in their faces and effectively cripple that franchise financially for the next 3 years or so...or at least until Isiaih Thomas gets another GM job and takes on BOTH of those guys. However, if they maintained the status quo, they were easily going to get beaten down in the playoffs by the clearly superior Eastern powers and everyone would have wondered why they didn't do anything to shake up this continually underachieving squad.

I think you won't know who really got the best of this trade for another couple of years, but I think it's a clear "win-now" move for the Magic...and if that's how we're judging it, they got the better of it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but assuming Joe Smith plays at least one game with his new team (Lakers), he will tie the NBA record for playing on the most amount of teams (12). He's only 35 ("only" as in this may not be his last season), so I'd say he has a decent shot at setting a new record.

It's also kind of funny that someone with a name like Joe Smith would end up playing for so many different teams. As if his name makes it hard enough for him to get noticed or stand out, he just gets traded around like a generic person and just kind of blends in wherever he goes. Like his name.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Re: Arenas trade, it was sort of something that had to be done. It was basically trading one overpaid has-been for another, but the thing is that Gilbert just didn't fit in with the organization anymore. The Arenas/Butler/Jamison era is now officially over, and I feel like the team is more free now to move on and develop a new identity (regardless of how bad it's going to be) with Gil gone. No one wants overpaid damaged goods, especially when it's legal/reputation/physical all wrapped into one. So it was kind of a perfect storm to be able to get rid of Gilbert whatwith the Magic GM knowing (and trusting) him on a personal level and the Magic panicking due to their recent skid, and with Arenas being from Florida if you count that kind of stuff. And in the long run I think this deal will save the Wizards some $$$. We are not going to be competitive anytime soon but this was more of a psychological/mental move by the Wizards to move on from Gilbert. I hope he does well in Orlando, he deserves to be on a good team and win something.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So my Clips have won three in a row. Granted, two of those wins were against the woeful Pistons and T-Wolves, but still. I'm very impressed with how much better the Clippers have been playing lately. Playoffs are basically impossible at this point, but if we keep up this level of play, we could have a decent record.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived