ACC LAX

raysox

Hello.

So I'm probably going to end my baseball career, and start playing lacrosse. Hmm, I never do lacrosse concepts. Lemme backtrack, I went to North Carolina this summer, and to the NC State bookstore. They had some NC State lacrosse gear, thing is, they don't play D1, just a club team. I was watching the NC State-Boston College game this past Saturday and thought of that shirt, since I was wearing a shirt from the bookstore. What if the ACC was their own conference? I knew that only a few colleges played D1. Sure enough, when I went online when i got home i looked up the Ncaa Rankings

1. Virginia- D1 Independents

2. North Carolina- D1 Independents

3. Duke- D1 Independents

4. Maryland- D1 Independents

This is madness! So I thought that's where I'll start. 3 part series, coming up now.

The actual teams

1. Virginia

A Nike school, I thought if I tried some piping it would be pretty cool. I tried making the jerseys realistic. The darker part is suppose to resemble mesh, if you didn't get that. Honestly, I just kinda made this one.

Virginia-2.png

2. North Carolina

I didn't have much to go on here, so I searched the basketball jerseys. One pic was from Hansborrough's days there, with jerseys with the neck horns things. Well, I did that. I went simple with the tops, then put argyle going up the pants to make them more Tarheel-y.

UNC.png

3. Duke

I wanted to go to something more Adidas like. I made something that looked like a jersey in my Adidas Championship Division thread. Then, I HAD to do some tri-stripes. I matched up the numbers and script. This might actually be my favorite.

Duke-1.png

4. Maryland

I love the yellow and black thing they do. LOVE it, and I figured out an easy way to do it. I ran it up the sleeves and underarms. Then, since it was Under Armour, I had to do some piping! What seems easy, actually was me adding a lot on. It ended up with space for mesh underarms! I did have the underarm pattern go down the pants, but the thing is, it looked like a basketball uniform. I just decided to make it with piping in the end.

Maryland.png

So thats it for now. I'll have 4 schools that should maybe have one, ones thats more realistic.

Comment.

So I'm probably going to end my baseball career, and start playing lacrosse.

Your one of many. I live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland which happens to be one of, if not the, biggest lacrosse places in the world. We have these giant lacrosse stores called LaxWorld (not sure if you Floridans have them) and everyone around here plays it. I, for one, am not a fan of it; I'm more of a baseball guy. In Maryland, it determines who your friends are and what social circles you're in.

Anyway, the concepts are great. You should try Hopkins.

25yzwqg.png

What the hell are you talking about the ACC is it's own conference in lacrosse. Back in the day the ACC had more than 4 lacrosse teams. You can thank title IX for knocking it down to 4. And I grew up in Md and if what sport you play determines your friends and social status well...you need new of both.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

What the hell are you talking about the ACC is it's own conference in lacrosse. Back in the day the ACC had more than 4 lacrosse teams. You can thank title IX for knocking it down to 4. And I grew up in Md and if what sport you play determines your friends and social status well...you need new of both.

If you look at the history, it's just the 4 teams in the ACC that play lacrosse. I'm talking about a full on 12 school conference.

Here, it says Independents.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2010MLArpi1.html

I'm glad you explained the mesh. Otherwise I would have thought that the North Carolina sets had armpit stains on them.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If you look at the history, it's just the 4 teams in the ACC that play lacrosse. I'm talking about a full on 12 school conference.

Here, it says Independents.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2010MLArpi1.html

Well I don't know what that was about, some one should tell the ACC. ACC Lacrosse Championship 2010

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The ACC conference has the championship and everything, but if I'm not mistaken the tournament winner does not get an auto-bid into the NCAA Tournament because of the number of schools. Not that it matters because all four are usually in it.

Anyhoo, I like what you've got going with the designs. The Duke with adidas looks interesting considering they're a Nike school outside of lax, but let me tell you it's a hell of a lot better than what Brine currently brings to the table. One critique, though. I'd think the Maryland jersey would look better without the logo on the sleeves.

And thanks for reminding me that eventually I should go out and do some lax concepts considering I talk about college lacrosse more than anyone else here :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The teams in the ACC tournament are the 4 teams that play D1 lacrosse. 4 isn't big enough to make it a conference howeva, thus making them Independents. While we argue, I have the next batch of 4. These are teams that it would be probable to actually have a team.

Boston College

Since BC is a Under Armour school, i had to do some fun piping and make things up. I had piping going from sleeve to waist. I searched Boston College lacrosse and found the a pic of the girl's team. It had the style as the one seen below with the gold coming back. I made the helmets gold to match football.

BC.png

NC State

NC State is normally conservative in the jersey design, as seen by the simple football and basketball jerseys. They're Adidas, so tri-stripes, then thought of an Adidas kind of athletic shirt, and put a design under the arms. The front says NC State, with the S being the logo.

NCState.png

Virginia Tech

I had fun with this. I loved the Pro Combat last year with the halftone gradients. That explains why I used it here on a Nike concept. I used the number font they used on it too. Piping loops around the sleeves, and a VT replaced a script.

VirginiaTech.png

Wake Forest

I thought of the football team's "Missouri" template. So a design that goes around the back would work. I just kinda went with the flow on it. Nothing really particularly special, but I like the simplicity.

Wake-1.png

All of these are really well done, and I like most of them. I really like Carolina, Maryland, and BC, and I like how you added the Pro Combat elements in the VT set. My only criticism is that the script on the Wake Forest set is really crowded and doesn't look very good...maybe just have it say "Wake"?

Last 4!

Clemson

I wanted to come up with something that I havent seen on Clemson stuff. Since pro combat didnt do anything special last year, i did some tiger stripes. NBD. I did piping, then up the sleeves I put color, with sublimated tiger stripes. I defiantly made orange more prominent than purple, which seemed to work.

Clemson.png

Florida State

I loved the pro combat last year, and kinda went the same route, with a twist on a concept I did. I used the updated arrow and feather a lot. The feather on the sleeve cuffs is resembling the football jersey, with the large feather on the pants like the PC. THe font was the closest I could find to matching last year's PC. On a related note, it is HARD to vectorize Chief Osceola.

FSU.png

Miami

This concept is credited to a football concept of the past. I had a U design on the chest like before. It seems fitting because it resembles the logo. The theme to this was using two different colors on opposite sides. And before you ask, the number font is newton.

Miami-1.png

Georgia Tech

There wasn't really much to go on here. GT's make is Russell Athletic, so I couldn't look back at cool designs. I just kinda threw one up here. I did make the home gold, cause you know, they're the yellow jackets. I made all the logos the same scheme for once too! The fonts are my attempt to match the fonts on the GT logo.

GT.png

So thats the ACC. I plan on doing the Big East for sure, and maybe do some others such as the big ten.

COMMENT.

I like all of these (especially the FSU...love the feathers), except Miami. It's just way too crowded on the front and back, and having the front numbers so low doesn't really look good. I'm not really sure what to suggest though...maybe just have the shirt stripes go straight across to the sleeves and not turn down? And maybe you could make the inside edges of the stripes vertical and have them go all the way across until they almost touch.

As a lacrosse player myself, I love all of these.

I think the Wake Forest one is slightly dull, but that's just their dull gold. So not really your fault.

The only thing I'd really change on any of these is the front numbers on the Miami uniforms. They would probably be best served to be moved up higher. They look kind of awkward with the way the upside-down U is on the front and all that negative space in the middle of the U above the numbers.

But great little series. It would definitely be interesting to see this expand to other conferences or even to club teams around the country.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

In college I played against NC State a couple of times in lacrosse - for two years they actually had some pretty loud uniforms. The other years they were really simple like the one you have. Their helmet is exactly like the white one you showed. I like what you did better overall though. It's not so "templated".

I like all the others but Miami. I think if you flip the upside down U the right way it will look much better though! (Of course, this is coming from someone who played (and now is an alum sponsor) for a team that now wears checkered shorts, so what do I really know?)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Hmm, Wake Forest shouldn't have outlines on the name on the front, I think it's a little too crowded. Otherwise, I think you've done quite a lot with just a little in many of these uniforms! Clemson looks great with the purple paw in the wordmark; I love Virginia Tech's halftone patterns. Nice little touches here and there. Great job!

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

Archived