All Time Worst Professional Sports Team Nicknames

Ink

Thanks for the gang bang bashing guys nice to know I'm loved.

<snicker>

You all for got to give me a remark about the Purple Cows, so I'm sure sooner or later someone will. Thanks for letting me realize I just wasted like 30 min of my life thinking of team names I hate all for nothing *SIGH* :( Just to be clear out of every professional team you all like everyone's nickname?

You're catching a bunch of crap because you'd know that pretty much every nickname on your list makes perfect sense if you'd have bothered to do some research. Just to give an example, the Tigers got their name because they wore black socks with orange stripes... guess what animal that made reporters think of?

That comment was suppose to be a joke, I guess you didn't get it. And everyone already explain all my flaws in my list...way to show up late to the party. :D

3535rx3.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo Bills - I just don't see what their name has to do with anything. It's a play on words.

What's a "Bill?" is it the bill from the school house rock song? or are they all showmen from the late 19th century performing a traveling recreation of the wild west? And how does that translate into a buffalo logo with a red streak coming from the horn?

Carolina/Florida Panthers - "Panthers" to me signifies "We couldn't think of anything else, and we have all this stock clipart lying around, so...." I understand that there actually IS a Florida Panther, but I mean, this is major franchise in a Big 4 league, and Panthers is the best you can come up with? Same deal for Carolina. There's no Panthers there, but at least think of SOMETHING a bit more original.

Nashville Predators/Memphis Grizzlies - The Preds have grown on me, in terms of their identity, since after all they did find a sabre-toothed cat skeleton or something there, but I mean the name "Nashville Predators" just sounds kinda retarded. It's more original then something bland like Panthers or Wildcats or whatever, but still. And obviously Memphis is suffering from the same thing that the Utah Jazz are, transferred identity failure from a franchise move. But honestly, c'mon. When you think of Memphis, the first thing that doesn't come to mind is grizzly bears. Nor Predators with Nashville. Couldn't all the many thousands and even millions of dollars that went into branding these teams do just a tad bit more? The color schemes are solid though!

Houston Texans - I hate to bag on the Texans, since they are a likeable franchise and have done some cool stuff with their brand since their inception, however the name is still a pretty ?meh? nickname. They?re somewhat referencing an old AFL franchise name, yeah, but still this is another case of branding gone bland. Bust out the red white and blue color scheme, throw a star on there, integrate a bull or something and call it a day

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Buffalo Bills - I just don't see what their name has to do with anything. It's a play on words.

And that's the beauty of it. There's no rule that says a team's name has to have something to do with...well....anything.

True, which is in a fashion charming and unique. Kudos, buffalo. Now change your terrible uniforms.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And that's the beauty of it. There's no rule that says a team's name has to have something to do with...well....anything.

True, which is in a fashion charming and unique. Kudos, buffalo. Now change your terrible uniforms.

On that we agree.

BB52Big.jpg

I understand that team names don't have to do with anything but I my opinion they should, going off on the Bills, yeah it's a play on words but Buffalo Bill Cody had nothing to do with the eastern part of America he lived in the wild west. That being said there are way too many teams in Buffalo New York that their nicknames deal with bison or buffaloes, get more creative.

3535rx3.jpg

In no particular order

- Houston Texans

- Tampa Bay Rays: Devil Rays was better.

- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: No need to beat this dead horse. Anaheim Angels was a perfect sounding name.

- Minnesota Wild

- Nashville Predators

- Charlotte Bobcats

- Miami Heat

- Orlando Magic

- Washington Wizards

- New Jersey Nets

- Utah Jazz

On the other hand, the best:

- Houston Rockets

- Detroit Pistons

- Toronto Blue Jays

- Florida Marlins

- Dallas Cowboys

- Seattle Seahawks

- Chicago Blackhawks

- Edmonton Oilers

I understand that team names don't have to do with anything but I my opinion they should, going off on the Bills, yeah it's a play on words but Buffalo Bill Cody had nothing to do with the eastern part of America he lived in the wild west. That being said there are way too many teams in Buffalo New York that their nicknames deal with bison or buffaloes, get more creative.

I can't decide if you're Tanner returning yet again or if you're one of the other trolls but there's no doubt in my mind that "ink" is a duplicate account.

And what part of "There's no rule that says a team's name has to have something to do with...well....anything." don't you get?

BB52Big.jpg

I can't decide if you're Tanner returning yet again or if you're one of the other trolls but there's no doubt in my mind that "ink" is a duplicate account.

And what part of "There's no rule that says a team's name has to have something to do with...well....anything." don't you get?

I don't understand what you are saying I never said a team name HAS to do with something, I just think it is better that a nickname means something other then what color a team sock was wearing or something along the lines of that. You are over thinking it I think

3535rx3.jpg

I don't understand what you are saying I never said a team name HAS to do with something, I just think it is better that a nickname means something other then what color a team sock was wearing or something along the lines of that. You are over thinking it I think

Fair enough Tanner.

BB52Big.jpg

Fair enough Tanner.

In all seriousness who the hell is Tanner?

3535rx3.jpg

<snicker>

You all for got to give me a remark about the Purple Cows, so I'm sure sooner or later someone will. Thanks for letting me realize I just wasted like 30 min of my life thinking of team names I hate all for nothing *SIGH* :( Just to be clear out of every professional team you all like everyone's nickname?

You're catching a bunch of crap because you'd know that pretty much every nickname on your list makes perfect sense if you'd have bothered to do some research. Just to give an example, the Tigers got their name because they wore black socks with orange stripes... guess what animal that made reporters think of?

Not to join the 'lets correct each other' parade, but I grew up under the impression the tigers were named after some local militia or something of that sort. Which isn't to say I didn't just grow up under the wrong impression, but thats what I'd always thought.

And in the spirit of this thread, I refuse to go look it up myself :P

<snicker>

Not to join the 'lets correct each other' parade, but I grew up under the impression the tigers were named after some local militia or something of that sort. Which isn't to say I didn't just grow up under the wrong impression, but thats what I'd always thought.

And in the spirit of this thread, I refuse to go look it up myself :P

According to Wikipedia you both are right My link. And we all know how reliable Wikipedia is! :P

3535rx3.jpg

this is an interesting thread.

going by the 4 major leagues.

MLB

dislikes: Tampa Rays. Only because i preferred Devil Rays.

Outside that, i really don't have much issue with any of the names.

NHL

Dislikes: Canucks and Wild. Only because the names doesn't lend itself to a clear visual identity. The canucks have had a stick and rink, skate and a whale as their identity. The wild on the other hand has a bear head with lake and mountains. though somewhat better as a visual identity however i'm not sure if it makes for a clear identity as to what a 'wild' is.

NBA

Dislikes: Washington Wizards. ONly because it replaced an name that i really liked, the bullets. I ever since the name change i really never could find myself to take a team called the 'Wizards' serious. I still prefer the bullets.

NFL

Dislikes: Washington Redskins. take away history, super bowls, mark rypien and tradition, the name Redskins especially in this day and age of political correctness, isn't the best of names. What makes their name tolerable is the visual identity, tradition and history. i really don't want to see them trade all that in for a super hip name and identity that will be dated in 5 years.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Reading a few people's gripes about the Tampa Bay Lightning being a singular name I got to thinking: When was the last time you took a look at an electrical storm and said "Wow, look at all the lightnings!"? Just thought I'd share that.

Anyway, there is only one team nickname that actually bother me.

The Celtics. Mostly because of how it's said. "Sell-tics." Anywhere else I've seen Celtics it is pronounced "Kel-tics." With all the Irish themed logos running around that organization, you'd think someone would either correct that or explain why it's pronounced that way. I've never looked it up though, maybe they have.

EDIT: Hey Ink, UC Santa Cruz's mascot would get trampled by the Purple Cow without the cow ever noticing. Go Fighting Banana Slugs!

Reading a few people's gripes about the Tampa Bay Lightning being a singular name I got to thinking: When was the last time you took a look at an electrical storm and said "Wow, look at all the lightnings!"? Just thought I'd share that.

Anyway, there is only one team nickname that actually bother me.

The Celtics. Mostly because of how it's said. "Sell-tics." Anywhere else I've seen Celtics it is pronounced "Kel-tics." With all the Irish themed logos running around that organization, you'd think someone would either correct that or explain why it's pronounced that way. I've never looked it up though, maybe they have.

EDIT: Hey Ink, UC Santa Cruz's mascot would get trampled by the Purple Cow without the cow ever noticing. Go Fighting Banana Slugs!

slug.png?t=1286999351

3535rx3.jpg

Archived