All Time Worst Professional Sports Team Nicknames

Ink

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed that we've gone this far without nominating a sizable chunk of indoor/arena football (Omaha Beef! Bloomington Xtreme (Motors)! Philly Soul! Nashville Kats! Sacramento Attack!) and the modern ABA (Charlotte Krunk! Strong Island Sound! Harlem Strong Dogs! Minnesota Ripknees! Hammond Rollers! Gwinett/Georgia/Directional Georgia/Jesus Christ how can a bloody typo exist so long Gwizzlies!)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm disappointed that we've gone this far without nominating a sizable chunk of indoor/arena football (Omaha Beef! Bloomington Xtreme (Motors)! Philly Soul! Nashville Kats! Sacramento Attack!) and the modern ABA (Charlotte Krunk! Strong Island Sound! Harlem Strong Dogs! Minnesota Ripknees! Hammond Rollers! Gwinett/Georgia/Directional Georgia/Jesus Christ how can a bloody typo exist so long Gwizzlies!)

Edit: Good point. I have always hated the Souls name or maybe just cause I hate Bon Jovi. Also just realized for the Memphis Grizzlies I'm pretty sure Grizzlies is not a word. Isn't just Grizzly, anyone know?

3535rx3.jpg

Dislikes: Washington Redskins. take away history, super bowls, mark rypien and tradition, the name Redskins especially in this day and age of political correctness, isn't the best of names. What makes their name tolerable is the visual identity, tradition and history.

There's history attached to a lot of racial slurs, that doesn't mean their presence should be tolerated in polite... or any other type of company.

i really don't want to see them trade all that in for a super hip name and identity that will be dated in 5 years.

Because clearly that's the ONLY route they could go... :rolleyes:

Dislikes: Washington Redskins. take away history, super bowls, mark rypien and tradition, the name Redskins especially in this day and age of political correctness, isn't the best of names. What makes their name tolerable is the visual identity, tradition and history.

There's history attached to a lot of racial slurs, that doesn't mean their presence should be tolerated in polite... or any other type of company.

i really don't want to see them trade all that in for a super hip name and identity that will be dated in 5 years.

Because clearly that's the ONLY route they could go... :rolleyes:

that does make sense and I accept that. I think probably a change like Washington Braves with the Spear throwbacks they had a few years ago could work.i do agree it does need to be changed.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I think awhile back someone here posted a link to the USPTO site where Daniel Snyder had "Washington Warriors" trademarked. As long as they're gonna use a nickname that's already used in pro sports, it's probably best that they don't go with one that's attached to a division rival of another DC-area team. Although anything that would necessitate a return to the spear throwbacks is fine with me.

MLB

1.) Philadelphia Phillies - I am a lifelong Phillies fan and always will be, but while the name is unique it is repetitive and silly. I wish Blue Jays would have caught on back in the '40's, but sadly it did not. Credit to the team though for making the script and uniforms so damn good that it nullifies the goofiness of the nickname.

2.) Tampa Bay Rays - For the reasons mentioned prior. That said, I would like it much better if the team's name was the Tampa Rays. It just flows better, but that will never happen.

3.) Arizona Diamondbacks - So long and clunky that they never have made it really work on the jersey, which lead to the stupid "D-Backs" uniforms.

NBA

1.) Denver Nuggets - Just not intimidating at all.

2.) Charlotte Bobcats - So narcisstic. If the owner's name was Stan Johnson, the team would not have been named the Bobcats.

3.) Washington Wizards- Well discussed as well. Other than the alliteration, it feels forced.

NFL

1.) Washington Redskins - All the reasons have been well discussed. Racist nickname, but a classy logo. Just so odd.

2.) Tennessee Titans - Nitpicky here, but it just seems contrived.

3.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Again, nitpicky, but it feels very '90's.

NHL

1.) Phoenix Coyotes - It just doesn't roll off the tongue.

2.) Minnesota Wild - Again, well discussed.

3.) Tampa Bay Lightning - The name makes complete sense geographically and actually sounds good, but it really limits the team's logo possibilities.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I think awhile back someone here posted a link to the USPTO site where Daniel Snyder had "Washington Warriors" trademarked. As long as they're gonna use a nickname that's already used in pro sports, it's probably best that they don't go with one that's attached to a division rival of another DC-area team. Although anything that would necessitate a return to the spear throwbacks is fine with me.

Well the thing is that the identity package of the Redskins, name aside, is actually well done. The logo's a respectful depiction of a Native American. It's the name that's the problem (in a way they're the opposite of the Cleveland Indians). So while the spear would be nice, it's not necessary if they do go the Warriors route. Which is probably the best solution to the naming problem.

Though I wonder how the Edmonton Eskimos always seem to slip under the radar in these discussions.

Though I wonder how the Edmonton Eskimos always seem to slip under the radar in these discussions.

Perhaps it's because they're in the CFL and they look like a poor-man's version of the Green Bay Packers... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Philadelphia Phillies...it is like saying "New York Yorkers" or "Boston Bostonian"...STUPID

Florida Panthers...man...with so many Florida icons they name a team "Panthers" gosh...

Cleveland Browns...only name a team "Browns" because your Last Name is Brown? :therock:

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo3_1280.jpg

Since when does a sports logo have to feature a fierce or intimidating logo? Just because their called the Penguins doesn't mean its a terrible name. I'm not being biased but it fits Pittsburgh very well and hockey is played on a cold surface so (cold=penguins) Mellon Arena = the Igloo.

Also everyone thinks the team nickname should resemble the city or state, that's a load of crap.

Philadelphia Phillies...it is like saying "New York Yorkers" or "Boston Bostonian"...STUPID

Florida Panthers...man...with so many Florida icons they name a team "Panthers" gosh...

Cleveland Browns...only name a team "Browns" because your Last Name is Brown? :therock:

Re: Florida Panthers: The Florida Panther is merely the state animal. The only unfortunate thing about the name is that the species is endangered (much like the hockey team BA-ZING!)

Re: Cleveland Browns: You don't quite get how much high school and college football is and was serious business in Ohio. Brown was revered as a legend in Ohio football when he took the coaching job at the AAFC's Cleveland franchise and the name was popularly adopted (over his objections, no less).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since when does a sports logo have to feature a fierce or intimidating logo? Just because their called the Penguins doesn't mean its a terrible name. I'm not being biased but it fits Pittsburgh very well and hockey is played on a cold surface so (cold=penguins) Mellon Arena = the Igloo.

Also everyone thinks the team nickname should resemble the city or state, that's a load of crap.

Since when do Penguins live in Igloos?

3535rx3.jpg

I've never liked the fact Utah carried the name Jazz with them when the franchise left New Orleans. They should've renamed the team.

The Minnesota Wild is another one that bugs me. Wild what? Its more of an adjective than a noun. LOL

Favorite? The Toledo Mud Hens. :grin:

I said cold weather represents the Penguins, and Mellon Arean = The Igloo. And what do you want Pittsburgh to be called?

I said cold weather represents the Penguins, and Mellon Arean = The Igloo. And what do you want Pittsburgh to be called?

That's not the point, you are associating Penguins with Igloos. Penguins live in along the coast of Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula where there are no people, Igloos are made by Inuit people who live in the Canadian region. So Penguins = South Pole, Igloos = North Pole. Both having noting to do with each other.

3535rx3.jpg

Archived