All Time Worst Professional Sports Team Nicknames

Ink

I think awhile back someone here posted a link to the USPTO site where Daniel Snyder had "Washington Warriors" trademarked. As long as they're gonna use a nickname that's already used in pro sports, it's probably best that they don't go with one that's attached to a division rival of another DC-area team. Although anything that would necessitate a return to the spear throwbacks is fine with me.

He trademarked that name for a future AFL team in the Washinton, DC area. Problem is the guy was such as ass that none of the area arenas (Verizon Ctr, Comcast Ctr, DC Armory, Patriot Center) wanted anything to do with him, so the team never came about. Believe it or not the uniform mock ups at that time became the 70th Anniv. alts.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when does a sports logo have to feature a fierce or intimidating logo? Just because their called the Penguins doesn't mean its a terrible name. I'm not being biased but it fits Pittsburgh very well and hockey is played on a cold surface so (cold=penguins) Mellon Arena = the Igloo.

Also everyone thinks the team nickname should resemble the city or state, that's a load of crap.

Since when do Penguins live in Igloos?

I said cold weather represents the Penguins, and Mellon Arean = The Igloo. And what do you want Pittsburgh to be called?

That's not the point, you are associating Penguins with Igloos. Penguins live in along the coast of Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula where there are no people, Igloos are made by Inuit people who live in the Canadian region. So Penguins = South Pole, Igloos = North Pole. Both having noting to do with each other.

Maybe Pittsburgh Penguins just sounds nice? What part about "teams can be named after animals that aren't local" do you have a hard time grasping?

Since when does a sports logo have to feature a fierce or intimidating logo? Just because their called the Penguins doesn't mean its a terrible name. I'm not being biased but it fits Pittsburgh very well and hockey is played on a cold surface so (cold=penguins) Mellon Arena = the Igloo.

Also everyone thinks the team nickname should resemble the city or state, that's a load of crap.

I said cold weather represents the Penguins, and Mellon Arean = The Igloo. And what do you want Pittsburgh to be called?

That's not the point, you are associating Penguins with Igloos. Penguins live in along the coast of Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula where there are no people, Igloos are made by Inuit people who live in the Canadian region. So Penguins = South Pole, Igloos = North Pole. Both having noting to do with each other.

Maybe Pittsburgh Penguins just sounds nice? What part about "teams can be named after animals that aren't local" do you have a hard time grasping?

I don't have a problem with that at all. People said they are the Penguins since they play on cold ice and their area is like an Igloo. I have a problem that Igloos and Penguins have nothing in common. Pittsburgh Penguins does sound nice since it's kind of alliteration with the letter P it flows.

3535rx3.jpg

I think awhile back someone here posted a link to the USPTO site where Daniel Snyder had "Washington Warriors" trademarked. As long as they're gonna use a nickname that's already used in pro sports, it's probably best that they don't go with one that's attached to a division rival of another DC-area team. Although anything that would necessitate a return to the spear throwbacks is fine with me.

He trademarked that name for a future AFL team in the Washinton, DC area. Problem is the guy was such as ass that none of the area arenas (Verizon Ctr, Comcast Ctr, DC Armory, Patriot Center) wanted anything to do with him, so the team never came about. Believe it or not the uniform mock ups at that time became the 70th Anniv. alts.

The story I always heard wasn't that he couldn't get an arena deal, he just wanted to squat on the rights to the market so nobody else could start up a team and theoretically compete for Washingtonian football dollars. When the AFL cut its deal with the NFL, it became cheap for him to do so.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't have a problem with that at all. People said they are the Penguins since they play on cold ice and their area is like an Igloo. I have a problem that Igloos and Penguins have nothing in common. Pittsburgh Penguins does sound nice since it's kind of alliteration with the letter P it flows.

Besides both existing primarily in places that can be creatively described as :censored: ing cold. Which is rather important in a sport that is played on ice.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Though I wonder how the Edmonton Eskimos always seem to slip under the radar in these discussions.

Perhaps it's because they're in the CFL and they look like a poor-man's version of the Green Bay Packers... :P

You can argue that the Esks best Quarterback (Warren Moon) is better then any Packers QB. Before anyone gets into a tiff about how Brett Farve or Bart Starr was better, I am just saying its arguable.

Besides both existing primarily in places that can be creatively described as :censored: ing cold. Which is rather important in a sport that is played on ice.

So the Galápagos Islands is considered a cold place? Hmmm it is right on the Equator and we all know it's cold there. Australia must be a cold place too then. I bet the Aussies love to build Igloos!

3535rx3.jpg

So the Galápagos Islands is considered a cold place? Hmmm it is right on the Equator and we all know it's cold there. Australia must be a cold place too then. I bet the Aussies love to build Igloos!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelie_Penguin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelie_Penguin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galapagos_Penguin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Penguin

3535rx3.jpg

Has the New York/New Jersey MetroStars name been mentioned?

No, but it should. For all the hate the name Red Bull New York (or New York Red Bulls) gets, it's important to remember that the last name, Metrostars, was also a corporate tie-in.

First it's on your worst name list, now it's a good name? Which is it?

Ok. When most people think of penguins they think of the Antarctic, ie COLD, variety.

I know I'm just trying to be a dick about it :lol:

Welcome (back) to the boards. I'm sure your return will be as brief as your first stay.

Today, we are all otaku.

Never thought about it before, but yeah - Browns is a horrible name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First it's on your worst name list, now it's a good name? Which is it?

Both, I don't think penguins is a good fit for a hockey name since hockey is a gutty sport and Penguins is not intimidating for a brutal sport it's is weak. I get that it is because hockey is a cold weather sport and penguins are "cold" weather animals except they are also found in the warmest of climates in the Galapagos Island. The only reason I like it would be it fitting well with the city Pittsburgh in that it flows easily with both beginning with P.

3535rx3.jpg

Ok. When most people think of penguins they think of the Antarctic, ie COLD, variety.

I know I'm just trying to be a dick about it :lol:

Welcome (back) to the boards. I'm sure your return will be as brief as your first stay.

What?

3535rx3.jpg

Archived