Northern League: 1993-2010

Sodboy13

Oh, this is terrific. The new manager of the Fielders is former Toronto Blue Jays manager Tim Johnson. That Tim Johnson. A team that has lied and lied about everything since its inception is now managed by Tim Freaking Johnson. Baaaaahahahaha.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Considering that five years ago, Smilin' Sam Katz was telling Winnipeg newspapers that the Goldeyes "will go to the AA over his dead body," I can only assume that Sam is planning a Budd Dwyer-like resignation from politics sometime around May.

A Budd Dwyer reference?

Well played, sir. Well played.

I thought the correct way to compliment any Budd Dwyer reference was "Hey man, nice shot."

+5 internets

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Oh, this is terrific. The new manager of the Fielders is former Toronto Blue Jays manager Tim Johnson. That Tim Johnson. A team that has lied and lied about everything since its inception is now managed by Tim Freaking Johnson. Baaaaahahahaha.

If they play in 2011, I can't wait for Armed Forces Appreciation Night.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Considering that five years ago, Smilin' Sam Katz was telling Winnipeg newspapers that the Goldeyes "will go to the AA over his dead body," I can only assume that Sam is planning a Budd Dwyer-like resignation from politics sometime around May.

A Budd Dwyer reference?

Well played, sir. Well played.

I thought the correct way to compliment any Budd Dwyer reference was "Hey man, nice shot."

+5 internets

Not to threadjack, but a true story: I was umpiring men's fast-pitch softball games in the spring following Dwyer's press conference, and to determine the home team for one of the games we had to toss a coin at home plate. Forgetting my ASA coin I asked if anyone had a quarter I could use. One of the players came up to me and handed me one, but which had obviously been drilled out in the center, "Here, blue - a Budd Dwyer commemorative," he said. I just about pissed myself laughing.

nav-logo.png

So I'm seeing that the Goldeyes are clearing out their home on-field caps for $15, a considerable drop from their usual price. Anyone know if there's a change coming from that stupid-ass "g" cap they've been using for the last five or six years?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Probably has more to do with the Northern League emblem on the back of the caps.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Lee.. I dont think the G logo will be gone.. but who knows?? Maybe something new will come along..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Sounds like the Northern League, United League, and Golden Baseball League have all merged into a completely untenable thing called the "North American Baseball League."

Sounds like the Northern League, United League, and Golden Baseball League have all merged into a completely untenable thing called the "North American Baseball League."

4 from the Northern, 4 from the United, and 6 from the Golden was the plan. Then someone in authority Joliet realized what playing 3 teams for pretty much the entire season, with some side trips to Maui and Tijuana, in a loose affiliation destined for collapse, would do for a team already a million in the hole. And that person said, "Um, hi, there's a nice little bus league right here, why don't you try that?"

I would guess this would mean that the Golden and United will still merge their red ink together, while any of the other leftovers from the Northern will join the Frontier, assuming they can find something besides lint in their pockets.

Man, the GBL just won't die, will it? It always seems a bit fishy to me when a league will potentially burn bridges (Yuma, Orange County, St. George, Chico, etc.) to retain a credible appearance. Of course, with Joliet backing out, that might not happen.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Wasn't the Frontier League supposed to add a team in Woodstock? The K-9s? What ever happened to that? (EDIT: pushed back to 2012, guess they can't build a park either)

This is stupid. You can't run an unaffiliated minor league that calls for road trips from Chicago to Victoria. Put Rockford, Joliet, and Schaumburg (under new ownership) in the Frontier League, and move the guts of the Fielders franchise to Omaha or Grand Forks or some other place so we can never speak of this Hooterville embarrassment again.

Wasn't the Frontier League supposed to add a team in Woodstock? The K-9s? What ever happened to that? (EDIT: pushed back to 2012, guess they can't build a park either)

This is stupid. You can't run an unaffiliated minor league that calls for road trips from Chicago to Victoria. Put Rockford, Joliet, and Schaumburg (under new ownership) in the Frontier League, and move the guts of the Fielders franchise to Omaha or Grand Forks or some other place so we can never speak of this Hooterville embarrassment again.

Well, if it's Victoria (BC) of the GBL, they are gone, so that won't be a problem.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Victoria's gone, but Calgary, Edmonton, Maui, and Tijuana are still there. It's a league full of Abbottsfords.

Realistically, what they probably would have done is just have interleague play with the 4 Texas teams from the UBL. A team would have come north, done four 3-game series through the area back-to-back once during the season, and vice-versa. The GBL teams wouldn't be a consideration until the championship round. So there's 24 games of the NoL's proposed 76-game schedule, leaving 52 games to be played along the tollways.

But, barring a reversal by Joliet officials, even that silly scenario is an impossibility.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20101110/news/711119869/

Schaumburg filed suit against the Flyers baseball team today, charging the club is more than $900,000 behind in overdue payments for rent on Alexian Field.The suit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court by the village and the Schaumburg Park District, charged that ?repeated demands have been made upon the defendant to make the payments due.?

According to the suit, the village was due $200,000 a year or 10 percent of gross revenues for ?facility use? on the field. As of August, it claimed to be owed more than $920,000.

gulp

Archived