NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In HD, the Redskins mis-matched home uniforms look even worse.

Several of the players looked like their socks were actually a different shade of burgundy, then the jersey color. Almost looked "red".

The socks are a joke. Look stupid, no matter how many of you "traditionalists" like them. Especially stupid, when the color of them don't even match the jersey or helmet color.

And the Browns "classic" (as in classic LOSER look) whites, are as drab as their entire franchise is. If there was ever a team that needed some color in their uniforms (besides the Chiefs), its Cleveland. As someone already stated, if you add orange pants to their road whites, its a completely different deal. Orange helmet, white jersey's, orange pants (with the same pant stripes as the helmet stripes), solid brown socks and black shoes. "Classic", old-school but new school as well. Orange pants are used by exactly ZERO teams in the NFL. The Browns used to wear them. They need to again (as do the Broncos).

I really like what the Rams are doing this year. They were stale last year (and their team only won 1 game). I would have worn gold pants today, because the Chargers were also going to be in navy pants. But I like the all navy look, as a 1 or 2 game a year changeup. Just too bad they broke them out for a game against a fellow navy team. Houston will do the exact same thing a few weeks from now, against San Diego. Same deal with them. That's a great changeup look for the Texans. But, when combined with the Chargers navy ensemble, it won't look as cool.

A few other teams (who have multiple jersey/pant options) should copy what the Rams are doing (I am looking at you Tennessee and Atlanta).

I too wish the Browns would go back to the orange pants. They flirted with that look for a brief period in 02 or 03 and then quickly moved away from it. It wasn't pretty at all, but it was a unique look. What I really wish they would do is return to the skinny stripe on the white pants and move the number back to the sleeves. Don't tell me that's impossible, the Bears make it work. Also, striped socks at home with the brown jerseys. I wouldn't mind a return to the white facemask either.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In HD, the Redskins mis-matched home uniforms look even worse.

Several of the players looked like their socks were actually a different shade of burgundy, then the jersey color. Almost looked "red".

The socks are a joke. Look stupid, no matter how many of you "traditionalists" like them. Especially stupid, when the color of them don't even match the jersey or helmet color.

That's because they ARE a different shade of Red.

I've addressed this before, but here goes again...first, the solid/spot color comparison:

WashingtonRedskinsBurgundy_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> WashingtonRedskinsTBRed_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

...and, the fabric/textile comparison:

WashingtonRedskinsBurgundy_9999_TEX_SRGB.png <---> WashingtonRedskinsTBRed_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

One of the many things that drives me crazy when they wear those Gold pants.

What's with all these teams ditching colored pants on the road this year?

Baltimore, NY Jets, Chiefs, Seahawks, and Browns (anyone I forget?) have all gone with the all white look on the road.

I personally can't stand the all-white look, just looks so dull.

I may be wrong, but haven't the Seahawks been wearing all white on the road for a while now? Also, weren't the green pants with the Jets just an occasional thing? Again, I may be wrong but I don't think all white is a look exclusive to 2010 for any of these teams except the Browns. I'm almost positive all the others wore all white at one point or another last season.

BB52Big.jpg

Here's this week's episode of "Make Dennis Bergan's head explode." Without further adieu here are this week's best and worst looking games. With pictures of the top five best.

Best looking game this week. (and there were quite a few to choose from) This one was a really tough call.

1. Seahawks - Bears: I really like Seattle's road look. Combine it with the Bears home uniform it was enough to get the top slot this week. Too bad Seattle looks so awful at home because their road uniforms are killer. It's also a great match up of classic and modern.

Seahawks_Bears_Football.sff_72761_game.jpg

2. Colts - Redskins: The Redskins sporting the gold pants and the classic look of the Colts. This is what an NFL game should look like. All that kept this game from getting the top spot was that I like Seattle's road uniforms just a tad better than Indy's.

APTOPIX_Colts_Redskins_Football.sff_73043_game.jpg

3. Raiders - 49ers: You know it's a good week when this uniform match up comes in third.

Raiders_49ers_Football.sff_72895_game.jpg

4. Chiefs - Texans: Like I said, there were a lot of great games to choose from. Any one of this week's top five would win most other weeks. This one gets extra points for being the best helmet match up of the week.

Chiefs_Texans_Football.sff_72758_game.jpg

5. Dolphins - Packers: Another great helmet match up. Another game that would finish better than 5th in the best looking list most weeks.

Dolphins_Packers_Football.sff_72782_game.jpg

Honorable mention: Saints - Bucs, Lions - Giants.

Worst looking game this week: Thankfully, due to the number of great match ups, there weren't many to choose from for the worst list this week. But the worst looking game was certainly deserving of the top spot this week. Mercifully, Buffalo has a bye this week.

1. Chargers - Rams: Amazing how a simple pair of blue pants can ruin a great uniform. Well done Rams.

Chargers_Rams_Football.sff_72836_game.jpg

Other notes: I'm sure Dennis Bergan is wondering why Browns - Steelers didn't make the best list. Especially since he was so sure it would take the top spot. My honest opinion of the Steelers throwbacks is this; I guess they're not awful. The helmet is kind of cool but the overall set just doesn't do much for me. That said, it's nice to know you're paying such close attention.

Be sure to tune in again next week for another exciting episode...

Here's one back.

Worst

1. Lions/Giants

2. Saints/Buccaneers

3. Colts/Redskins

4. Browns/Steelers

Best

1. Raven/Patriots

2. Jets/Broncos

3. Falcons/Eagles

4. Raiders/49ers

5. Chargers/Rams

6. Seahawks/Bears

The Dolphins and Packers would've looked better if Miami didn't wear aqua pants. http://www.wireimage.com/ItemListings.aspx?igi=240137&cl=1&ci=2

I like the Texans uniform... but the Chiefs? They're so boring. Especially their all white.

I thought the Redskins burgundy and gold was nice at first but after a while... they aren't that great. And it depends who the opponent is.

Same with the Cowboys. Their whites are a mixed bag. I rate the Cowboys white jerseys depending on who they play. They played the Vikings. I have it as an in between the worst and the best.

Chargers/Rams would've looked better if St. Louis wore a different colored pants. Almost everything is blue for the game which does lessen the looks. However, it is far from the worst.

I have the Saints/Buccaneers and Steelers as the worst because yellow and brown were in those games which are just meh.

Baltimore, NY Jets, Chiefs, Seahawks, and Browns (anyone I forget?) have all gone with the all white look on the road.

I may be wrong, but haven't the Seahawks been wearing all white on the road for a while now? Also, weren't the green pants with the Jets just an occasional thing? Again, I may be wrong but I don't think all white is a look exclusive to 2010 for any of these teams except the Browns. I'm almost positive all the others wore all white at one point or another last season.

Seattle wore white jerseys with blue pants for some of their road games last year.

Here's one back.

Worst

1. Lions/Giants

2. Saints/Buccaneers

3. Colts/Redskins

4. Browns/Steelers

Best

1. Raven/Patriots

2. Jets/Broncos

3. Falcons/Eagles

4. Raiders/49ers

5. Chargers/Rams

6. Seahawks/Bears

The Dolphins and Packers would've looked better if Miami didn't wear aqua pants. http://www.wireimage.com/ItemListings.aspx?igi=240137&cl=1&ci=2

I like the Texans uniform... but the Chiefs? They're so boring. Especially their all white.

I thought the Redskins burgundy and gold was nice at first but after a while... they aren't that great. And it depends who the opponent is.

Same with the Cowboys. Their whites are a mixed bag. I rate the Cowboys white jerseys depending on who they play. They played the Vikings. I have it as an in between the worst and the best.

Chargers/Rams would've looked better if St. Louis wore a different colored pants. Almost everything is blue for the game which does lessen the looks. However, it is far from the worst.

I have the Saints/Buccaneers and Steelers as the worst because yellow and brown were in those games which are just meh.

So you're basing yours on how well both uniforms go with each other. I thought about that but it really limits things. So I decided to simply go with the best/worst two uniforms in each game without regard to whether they clash or not.

We only agree on two games but those two games are really good ones. At least your list doesn't read like the "anti-infrared41" top 5. Nice to see that taste is driving your decisions and not some "modern vs. classic" BS.

BB52Big.jpg

The titans had it right with their home uniform the first time. Its nice to see it again. The jags on the other hand have one of tje worst looks in the league. The helmet is still one of my favorites in the NFL as I think that the teal flake they added doesn't really show up enough to make a drastic difference. The jerseys and pants however are awful and the road uniforms are the worst out of the two looks

Edit: misread that. The titans are in their old road uniform at jax. Still the titans got the road uniform right the first time. I despise light blue when used as the dominant color. Its probably due to its rise as the trendy color in sports in the last decade.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Titans have brought back the white on navy look! wahooo! there is one good step in the right direction...

Now if only we can get them to wear this combo during an actual game

vlcsnap-2010-10-11-13h14m06s97.png

I really dig the powder on Navy look, as the shoulder yoke ties it together, but it'd be nice to see powder on white from time to time.

The white on Navy brings back memories of those playoff teams from the early 2000s.

I never understood the hate for the Falcons look. I certainly don't think it's one of the better looks in the NFL, but I never really saw anything eggregiously wrong with it. Sure, the helmet logo is a little goofy, but not laughable, and the fonts aren't horrible either (the pants stripes are a little questionable, but when worn with the right socks really look fine IMO.) HOWEVER, seeing them on the field against the Eagles yesterday (who also have what many would consider a contemporary look) the Falcons really looked like a minor-league team. I'm not sure if it was the juxtaposition of traditional straight pants stripes next to the Falcons curvy pattern, or the differences in the fonts, or what it was, but the Eagles really looked like a traditional team when on the same field as the Falcons. Funny - I've seen this match up three times live now, and this is the first time I've felt this way. It was also the first time the Eagles were in white - not sure why that should matter, but maybe it does. Point of the story is that the Falcons could use a tweak or two. It's possible to be contemporary and classic at the same time. Case in point - the Eagles pants stripes are not in a traditional pattern - two thick asymmetrical stripes with a very thin line in between - however they are traditional and classic in that they are just straight up-and-down, with no curves or super thin piping parts. I don't think that it's necessary for a uniform to have to last 50 years or more (i.e. it's OK for a uniform to be identified with an era IMO) but I now think that their uniform could go a very long time without requiring a change to stay in fashion with whatever trends are going on at that time. I'm on record as saying that this isn't the direction I would go with their uniforms, but as far as having a modern design and still fitting in with what a top-level team should look like, I really think the 2003 redesign nailed it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, the Jets have absolutely worn all-white on the road more often than not. It may have been different during the Pennington era but white jersey/green pants on the road is their rarest look. You're more likely to see them in mono-green at home.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Titans have brought back the white on navy look! wahooo! there is one good step in the right direction...

Now if only we can get them to wear this combo during an actual game

vlcsnap-2010-10-11-13h14m06s97.png

This is the look they need to go to full time...

ugeorge.gif

BB52Big.jpg

I never understood the hate for the Falcons look. I certainly don't think it's one of the better looks in the NFL, but I never really saw anything eggregiously wrong with it. Sure, the helmet logo is a little goofy, but not laughable, and the fonts aren't horrible either (the pants stripes are a little questionable, but when worn with the right socks really look fine IMO.) HOWEVER, seeing them on the field against the Eagles yesterday (who also have what many would consider a contemporary look) the Falcons really looked like a minor-league team. I'm not sure if it was the juxtaposition of traditional straight pants stripes next to the Falcons curvy pattern, or the differences in the fonts, or what it was, but the Eagles really looked like a traditional team when on the same field as the Falcons. Funny - I've seen this match up three times live now, and this is the first time I've felt this way. It was also the first time the Eagles were in white - not sure why that should matter, but maybe it does. Point of the story is that the Falcons could use a tweak or two. It's possible to be contemporary and classic at the same time. Case in point - the Eagles pants stripes are not in a traditional pattern - two thick asymmetrical stripes with a very thin line in between - however they are traditional and classic in that they are just straight up-and-down, with no curves or super thin piping parts. I don't think that it's necessary for a uniform to have to last 50 years or more (i.e. it's OK for a uniform to be identified with an era IMO) but I now think that their uniform could go a very long time without requiring a change to stay in fashion with whatever trends are going on at that time. I'm on record as saying that this isn't the direction I would go with their uniforms, but as far as having a modern design and still fitting in with what a top-level team should look like, I really think the 2003 redesign nailed it.

As a constant lurker on site, and an occasional poster, I think this might be the first time you and I are in exact agreement on a football uniform. I'll second your initial point: I don't consider the Falcons uniform the "high-mark" of design, but I've never believed it was an awful uniform. At least this set shifted red back into some position of more than "trim" color after the previous sets.

I still remember seeing preseason highlights from the year Atlanta "went black" under Glanville and thinking "When did the Falcons become the Raiders?"

Archived