Ole Miss selects Rebel Black Bear as new mascot

pianoknight

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its too bad they are saying goodbye to Colonel Reb. He was a "rebel", and a fun mascot who gave identity to the program. He isn't a political statement from the 1860s. He is a mascot, plain and simple.

As an East Tennessean, I think its a stretch for Mississippi to use a black bear as a mascot...they are nowhere near the Appalachians, where black bears thrive (I've had two encounters myself on trails and have heard at least 10 other stories from friends). Nonetheless, I guess the two other idiotic choices weren't better, so I suppose this'll do. I'm still lovin me some goateed Rebel, but I suppose I like the Confederacy more than most...

How can you not like this guy!? I'd like to see him and Oklahoma State's Pistol Pete have a showdown at high noon.

030916colreb.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

How can you not like this guy!? I'd like to see him and Oklahoma State's Pistol Pete have a showdown at high noon.

030916colreb.jpg

This guy was FAR superior.

Rebel Bear? Horrible. Even a Rebel Catfish would have worked better.

87Redskins.png

Good argument trying to say there are no bears in Mississippi...you do realize you people wanted Admiral Ackbar? are there a lot of those walking around in Mississippi that I'm unaware of? are there a lot of star wars or star trek nerds in Mississippi? Ackbar would have been dumbest mascot ever. Why not make an Avatar alien thing a mascot? Why not use a twilight werewolf as the mascot for NC State?

How can you not like this guy!?  I'd like to see him and Oklahoma State's Pistol Pete have a showdown at high noon.

030916colreb.jpg

This guy was FAR superior.

The real question is who wins in a fight:

OSU's Pistol Pete or Wyoming's old Pistol Pete (the new guy looks like a muppet):

11036876_BG1.jpgwymsct.jpg

All I know is that when I was a kid, Wyoming's Pistol Pete was scarier than clowns.

New Wyoming Pistol Pete looks like Will Forte:

Mountain+West+Conference+Tournament+Day+3+bjlSvZ3lPIhl.jpgespy3.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Good argument trying to say there are no bears in Mississippi...you do realize you people wanted Admiral Ackbar? are there a lot of those walking around in Mississippi that I'm unaware of? are there a lot of star wars or star trek nerds in Mississippi? Ackbar would have been dumbest mascot ever. Why not make an Avatar alien thing a mascot? Why not use a twilight werewolf as the mascot for NC State?

At least Admiral Ackbar would have been fun, creative, and still a Rebel. The "Rebel Black Bear" is none of these.

Agreed. The bear seems incredibly forced.

I think if they truly wanted to distance themselves from the Confederate South, they'd stop calling themselves 'Ole Miss' and simply go by 'Mississippi'. Not only would the the southern slang out of the school's name, it plain sounds better.

6uXNWAo.png

I think if they truly wanted to distance themselves from the Confederate South, they'd stop calling themselves 'Ole Miss' and simply go by 'Mississippi'. Not only would the the southern slang out of the school's name, it plain sounds better.

No, I like Ole Miss. You are still welcome to say Mississippi of your own free will.

This part of a disappointing trend in homogenizing college mascots in to nebulous, inoffensive, indistinct nothings.

FsQiF2W.png

The new bear is OK and was the best choice, given what they had. While I despise the intense following many have for Star Wars in general, I'll have to concede and admit that the Ackbar idea was at least different.

At least Ole Miss let their students, fans, etc. decide what the new mascot would be, unlike a certain southern Utah college did about a year ago. A lot of grief (and some dignity) could've been saved had they just did some concept renderings like Ole Miss, still letting the students vote.

My thoughts (and image) on the then-athletic director Dexter Irvin pushing the "bull mascot" idea through:

3267883772_d009f78c4b.jpg

Not to mention the hideousness of the Bull-in-a-Blender.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

That Montana mascot is :censored:ing awful.

Yeah, the only mascot to ever win the Capital One Challenge twice is terrible. lol

And it's pretty obvious that Ole Piss based theirs off Montana's. The headband, the jersey, the shorts...

337_photo.jpg91065148.png

I'm in no condition to post...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

44432582326267196666.png

Yeah, the only mascot to ever win the Capital One Challenge twice is terrible. lol

And it's pretty obvious that Ole Piss based theirs off Montana's. The headband, the jersey, the shorts...

Right, because Montana is the only school that puts a basketball uniform on their mascot. :rolleyes:

Also, what exactly is the Capital One Challenge? I'm assuming some kind of mascot award? Just curious what it entails.

IMO, the mascot looks really 2nd rate.

I think the Montana cheerleading coach went to a local high school and asked if they had an old mascot they weren't using. The school was hesitant to even mention the scraggly, saggy bear suit but with great Montana spirit, they offered it to the local university. The University, however disappointed they may have been, had to accept. Nobody would've expected the unlikely hero to not once but twice be awarded the nation's most prestigious mascot award, the Capital One Challenge.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

Yeah I've never seen a mascot wear a headband, jersey, and shorts. Complete rip off. Just deal with the fact that all bears look the same. Ole Miss has better things to do than rip off Montana. No offense, but the Capital One Challenge means nothing and I can say that Zippy won and no one cares. I guess most schools go out and try to accomplish things in athletics but you can be proud you won the mascot challenge twice and call out every school who uses a bear mascot. Go after the Chicago Bears next bud

Can't believe your boy wasn't even mentioned here, isn't b/r just as prestigious as the Capital One Mascot Challenge?

And how many National Championships has Akron won? Oh, wait, none.

And charliehustle, Montana didn't buy their mascot uniform from another school. Family friends of mine won the contest to name and pick the suit in which he wears. Know what you're talking about before spouting off you fool.

I'm in no condition to post...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

44432582326267196666.png

Archived