NFL 2nd Season Sideline Caps

Bmac

Surprised the brim isn't flat, would complete the look they were going for. (Hell isnt the 1st sideline hat this year the ones with flat or curved brim gimmick?)

Also new era has how many tacky mlb fashion hats, and yet they are gonna be so much better than reebok at the hats?

I wont ever pay 35 bucks for a nfl hat.

Why are they called "2nd Season" sideline caps? Do they switch the official sideline cap after a few weeks or something?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why are they called "2nd Season" sideline caps? Do they switch the official sideline cap after a few weeks or something?

Yep. For the past few years, Reebok has trotted out different styles of mandated sideline apparel for the second half of the season, because apparently the looks they come up with are so timeless and classic, they get stale and dated after eight weeks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Also new era has how many tacky mlb fashion hats, and yet they are gonna be so much better than reebok at the hats?

I wont ever pay 35 bucks for a nfl hat.

They've never made anything too ugly for on-field wear (besides the loop on the back of the current BP caps). I have faith that their sideline stuff for the NFL will be much less ugly.

For example, look at the "tacky MLB fashion hats" you speak of: almost all of them are plain-colored with the team logo, whether or not they're in team colors. The ones that do have some sort of design on them typically aren't covered in wild piping, wordmarks all over the sides, etc.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

2nd season hats have been around since the multiple supplier days,i could be off on the year but I remember Starter was the first on field supplier that did a second half sideline hat back in 1997.Other suppliers followed suit and Reebok followed tradition since taking over back in 2002,last few seasons they not only have released a second half hat but also translate the same design into a winter hat just like they do visors in the same design as the first half hat.This season is unusual cause apparently Reebok has released two 2nd season hats,the one discussed here and a gray camo style design and of course not only in cap form but winter hat form.Reason I know this is due to seeing both designs at lids when i was last there.Hope my post wasn't too long,but i needed to share what I knew on the subject and I hope it helped. :grin:

Yet another god awful hat. 2012 can't come soon enough, let's do away with this reebok garbage.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yep. For the past few years, Reebok has trotted out different styles of mandated sideline apparel for the second half of the season, because apparently the looks they come up with are so timeless and classic, they get stale and dated after eight weeks.

[img-spaceballs]

Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!

1zgyd8w.jpg

2nd season hats have been around since the multiple supplier days,i could be off on the year but I remember Starter was the first on field supplier that did a second half sideline hat back in 1997.Other suppliers followed suit and Reebok followed tradition since taking over back in 2002,last few seasons they not only have released a second half hat but also translate the same design into a winter hat just like they do visors in the same design as the first half hat.This season is unusual cause apparently Reebok has released two 2nd season hats,the one discussed here and a gray camo style design and of course not only in cap form but winter hat form.Reason I know this is due to seeing both designs at lids when i was last there.Hope my post wasn't too long,but i needed to share what I knew on the subject and I hope it helped. :grin:

This is true. The idea behind the Second Season concept is that you can't wear the same sideline gear in September that you can in December, because it's much colder. So, they issue a second set of sideline garments geared for the colder months. That, and they want to sell more things.

They don't sell plain hats with the team logo because the NFL feels like people won't pay for a hat that has no 'work' put in to it; no 'design' put into it. So they put together the design brief for sideline apparel with that in mind, and we end up with hats like this. That's just how the NFL sees it. Not right or wrong, just maybe different than your or my philosophy is all. I mean, they still sell the plain caps, just not for the sideline program.

I really wouldn't expect too much to change with new suppliers. 2012 is probably not going to be some hallelujah moment for NFL uniforms and sideline apparel. A lot of the visual culture you see on NFL sidelines is driven by the league, not the licensees. Another drawback to having a separate headwear licensee is that the sideline apparel and hats will no longer coordinate, unless Nike's and New Era's design teams plan on working together in development.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They don't sell plain hats with the team logo because the NFL feels like people won't pay for a hat that has no 'work' put in to it; no 'design' put into it.

The MLB has done brisk business for decades with that kind of cap.

But MLB has also green-lighted the sales of caps that are in different colors than the team's actual colors (including the holiday caps), different designs, etc. And I'm sure they have even brisker business now doing compared to the days when it was just 30 designs for 30 Model 5950 caps.

And to be fair, the NFL does sell a plain logo cap for every team. I've bought a couple. They just don't "update" those every year because there's no need.

I'm not saying it's a good thing because I'm in the camp that thinks every cap ought to look plain or at least have some logical reason for it (putting a logo on the side of the hat that's the same as the one on the front is dumb, but whatever...). But my camp is the minority these days and I'm also an older consumer. The new designs are marketed to target the younger consumers, the 18-to-35 crowd that has more disposable income and is more inclined to dispose of it.

They don't sell plain hats with the team logo because the NFL feels like people won't pay for a hat that has no 'work' put in to it; no 'design' put into it.

The MLB has done brisk business for decades with that kind of cap.

But MLB has also green-lighted the sales of caps that are in different colors than the team's actual colors (including the holiday caps), different designs, etc. And I'm sure they have even brisker business now doing compared to the days when it was just 30 designs for 30 Model 5950 caps.

And to be fair, the NFL does sell a plain logo cap for every team. I've bought a couple. They just don't "update" those every year because there's no need.

I'm not saying it's a good thing because I'm in the camp that thinks every cap ought to look plain or at least have some logical reason for it (putting a logo on the side of the hat that's the same as the one on the front is dumb, but whatever...). But my camp is the minority these days and I'm also an older consumer. The new designs are marketed to target the younger consumers, the 18-to-35 crowd that has more disposable income and is more inclined to dispose of it.

Add to it the fact that MLB's brand is the baseball cap. The NFL's strongest branding element is the helmet, but you can't put on your favorite team's helmet to go out to the bar, and a hat with an NFL team logo is just merch, there's no on-field authenticity to it like there is an MLB cap. Thus, MLB caps will inherently be more popular and saleable than NFL or NBA team logo caps, even without the ability to sell them in every color of the rainbow.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived