The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

So, as the playoffs are winding down and the remaining 26 teams are starting to think about next year, I thought I would start the MLB offseason thread for this year. I'll start with the first bits of news:

-Ted Lilly has signed a 3 year deal with the Dodgers (much to my demise; I was kind of hoping he would come back to Chitown...)

-Mariners announce they were hire Eric Wedge as their 2011 manager.

So, if you have news, predictions, thoughts, or whatever post them here.

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby Valentine is being considered for the Jays managerial position. Mariners are out on him now that Wedge is there and the Marlins will probably be in on him as well.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ok, I'll post my free-agency predictions:

Adam Dunn - Houston Astros. Texas Rangers. 4 years, $92 million.

Hitters park. Young team. Lots of playing time. Lots of homers.

Brandon Webb - Los Angeles Angels. 2 years, $14 million.

The Angels will be looking for another pitcher, and Webb suits them well.

Cliff Lee - Texas Rangers. 6 years, $139 million.

After a deep playoff run (and possibly a WS) with Texas, Lee will return as a Ranger, where he should have a great, young team around him.

Derek Jeter - Detroit Tigers (or New York Yankees.) 2 years, $19 million.

Something tells me Jeter is going to get a name on the back of his jersey. After a terrible year with New York, the Yankees will be looking for a franchise SS, and Jeter no longer fits that description.

EDIT: Or maybe Tank is right and they won't let him go. I'm torn.

Carl Crawford - New York Yankees. 4 years, $61 million.

The Rays glory years appear over, as Crawford, Pena, and others seem to be on the move.

Jayson Werth - Boston Red Sox. 5 years, $83 million.

Red Sox need an OF and a bat, and Werth is a free agent.

Victor Martinez - Boston Red Sox. 4 years, $53 million.

Resigns with Boston.

Josh Beckett - Houston Astros. 1 year, $7 million.

Astros will need to bring someone in to lure in Dunn.

Carlos Pena - Texas Rangers. Houston Astros. 2 years, $11 million.

I think they'll give him a chance.

Mariano Rivera - New York Yankees. 1 year, $4 million.

Rivera will announce reitirement after 2011 season.

Manny Ramirez - Japan. 2 years, $13 million.

Nobody in this country will sign him.

Joe Blanton - Florida Marlins. 2 years, $17 million.

Pitchers park = low ERA.

Javier Vazquez - Milwaukee Brewers. 2 years, $15 million.

NL pitcher.

Derrek Lee - Washington Nationals. 1 years, $6 million.

Young infielders need an experienced and very good defensive 1st baseman.

Paul Konerko - Chicago White Sox. 3 years, $50 million.

Coming off a big year, Konerko will win a bonus with the White Sox.

25yzwqg.png

There is no way the Yankees will let Jeter walk, he is too ingrained in that uniform. He is this generation's Mickey Mantle and Don Mattingly in one. He will be a Yankee forever, he will be a coach one day, and he will later be a manager. He will be the one player Yankee fans come to see in Old Timer's Day for 50 years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There is no way the Yankees will let Jeter walk, he is too ingrained in that uniform. He is this generation's Mickey Mantle and Don Mattingly in one. He will be a Yankee forever, he will be a coach one day, and he will later be a manager. He will be the one player Yankee fans come to see in Old Timer's Day for 50 years.

I know, I just wanted to see the reaction to that. He'll sign with NY for the same price.

25yzwqg.png

From what I've read, Torii Hunter's been recruiting Carl Crawford to come to Anaheim since the All-Star Break. Personally, I'd love to see Crawford as an Angel. It'd be nice if they signed Crawford, then traded Torii Hunter for prospects. I can live with another year of Bobby Abreu/Juan Rivera if it means a year to get Mike Trout ready. I don't think the Angels are really in the market for another starter right now. Unfortunately, there's still a year of Kazmir in Anaheim. With Weaver, Haren, Piniero, Santana and Kazmir, the rotation is pretty well set right now. Plus, Trevor Bell and Matt Palmer will probably compete for a spot in the rotation.

I really don't see the Halos making too much of splash in the FA market, other than bringing in someone like Crawford or Werth, either of whom I'd be completely happy with.

There is no way the Yankees will let Jeter walk, he is too ingrained in that uniform.

Jeter's 36 years old and had a .693 OPS, last I checked. He ain't getting any better or younger and is not worth the extra money he will certainly demand. I'd be surprised but not shocked if he goes to another team in order to basically sell tickets.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

LOLOLOL x infinity.

Who in their right mind would give Carlos Pena 5 years, $75M?

He hit .196 last year.

He's someone the Rangers traditionally might kick the wheels on, but because he's a buy-low candidate. I'd be shocked if he got more than one year, and more than a couple of million.

Also, there's no reason a rebuilding team like the Astros would sign Adam Dunn when they made sure to acquire Brett Wallace after they dealt Berkman.

So, as the playoffs are winding down and the remaining 26 teams are starting to think about next year, I thought I would start the MLB offseason thread for this year. I'll start with the first bits of news:

-Ted Lilly has signed a 3 year deal with the Dodgers (much to my demise; I was kind of hoping he would come back to Chitown...)

Lilly's signing resulted in your death?

BB52Big.jpg

Josh Beckett - Hosuton Astros. 1 year, $7 million

Josh Beckett isn't a free agent and I doubt the Red Sox are going to buy out his new contract.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

And now you know why I don't teach English...I don't know what I was thinking.

LOLOLOL x infinity.

Who in their right mind would give Carlos Pena 5 years, $75M?

He hit .196 last year.

He's someone the Rangers traditionally might kick the wheels on, but because he's a buy-low candidate. I'd be shocked if he got more than one year, and more than a couple of million.

Also, there's no reason a rebuilding team like the Astros would sign Adam Dunn when they made sure to acquire Brett Wallace after they dealt Berkman.

Man, I'm having a bad day. I don't know why but I forgot what kind of season he just had, so I changed my predictions so that Pena went to the Astros for a much lower price, and Dunn went to the Rangers. Yes, they are rebuilding, but Ed Wade (the GM) has made some pretty weird moves before, remember the Hawkins trade?

25yzwqg.png

Josh Beckett - Hosuton Astros. 1 year, $7 million

Josh Beckett isn't a free agent and I doubt the Red Sox are going to buy out his new contract.

Of course, they signed him a new contract in April. That's what you get when you use a year old FOXSports article as your source...

25yzwqg.png

He probably meant "dismay". Anyway...

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So...let's try to forget my terrible predictions, misuse of the word demise, failure to remember Pena's awful 2010 season, outdated sources, and all, and move on with the thread. And, please, post your own offseason predictions if you wish.

In offseason News: Tony LaRussa will manage another year with St. Louis, this being his 16th year as a manager.

25yzwqg.png

The Cubs take the interim tag off Mike Quade, name him manager.

Mike Quade? Are you for real?? With all the fine candidates out there, the Cubs and their payroll go with him?? Ugh. They could've at least gone with Iowa manager, and Cubs legend, Ryne Sandberg. Watch him have success with a team like the Brewers, while the Cubs are re-hiring by 2012.

Yep. I'm pretty disgusted with this hire. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

6uXNWAo.png

In offseason News: Tony LaRussa will manage another year with St. Louis, this being his 16th year as a manager.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Buck Showalter is trying to fill out his coaching staff for next year. Don Wakamatsu and Brian Butterfield appear to be at the top of his list. He's just waiting to let them try for the open managerial positions. Terry Crowley also appears to be returning, which seems to anger alot of O's fans (I could care less, I don't think hitting coaches make that big a difference).

I'd like to see a big offseason from the Orioles. Not necessarily by signing guys, but with key trades. Here are some key notes going into the offseason:

-1B, 3B, and SS could all be upgraded. Showalter seems to love Cesar Izturis, so he may be resigned. Another move that won't make many O's fans happy. I don't really care too much, as long as we upgrade first and third and at least explore other options. At the very least, Izturis brings excellent defense which is especially important with a young staff. I'd like to see the O's go after Derek Lee too. I think he will be a decent stop gap, with the potential to bounce back.

-Felix Pie or Adam Jones could be traded. The Orioles are pretty deep in the outfield, so that would be a good place to trade for an upgrade in the infield. Felix Pie seems to be the more likely candidate to be traded. Personally I think I'd rather trade Adam Jones as he will probably get more and Felix Pie is a better defender at CF.

-A veteran pitcher may also be acquired. Kevin Millwood didn't put up impressive numbers, but he ate innings and helped save the bullpen. He probably won't be back, but it might be nice to find another one year stop gap. I'd like to see some stability in the rotation, so that Zach Britton gets plenty of time in AAA and isn't rushed.

The Cubs take the interim tag off Mike Quade, name him manager.

Mike Quade? Are you for real?? With all the fine candidates out there, the Cubs and their payroll go with him?? Ugh. They could've at least gone with Iowa manager, and Cubs legend, Ryne Sandberg. Watch him have success with a team like the Brewers, while the Cubs are re-hiring by 2012.

Yep. I'm pretty disgusted with this hire. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wow. I'm...surprised but not surprised at the same time. As a die hard Cubs fan, I was kind of hoping for Sandberg to manage but, hey, he brought us to a winning record in August and September against pennent race teams such as the Padres and Giants. So we'll see how it goes in April and May and if he totally fails then we can call up Sandberg.

25yzwqg.png

Archived