The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Wow. That is a lot of cash. It was only a matter of time before the usual suspects started throwing cash around. Now all we need is for the Yankees to spend way more than the Pirates are worth on Cliff Lee. Then the Mets have to break the bank for a guy that won't pan out. After all that happens, it will be a normal offseason.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mr. Reagins,

Get Cliff Lee. Now. Crawford spurned you, so make the move out of spite if you have to.

And go ahead and bring in Soriano and Beltre while you're at it. Let your bruised ego be your guide.

Sincerely,

Angel fans.

VmWIn6B.png

Dear Mr. Reagins,

Get Cliff Lee. Now. Crawford spurned you, so make the move out of spite if you have to.

And go ahead and bring in Soriano and Beltre while you're at it. Let your bruised ego be your guide.

Sincerely,

Angel fans.

x2

I was just about to post the same thing.

I saw on ESPN yesterday that the Angels had reached out to Cliff Lee, well you know what? Go offer him a deal. I also read today that the Angels were either going to get Crawford or Beltre, not both. Well you know what? Crawford is gone. Get Beltre. And then add on to the Angels need a closer and there is really only one on the market, go get him.

Open up the wallet Arte. Give Reagins the tools.

Reagins, hand out the pen and paper.

Get this done.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This pretty much means Cliff Lee is out of the running.

This means Cliff Lee is going to New York. You know the Yankees aren't gonna sit on their FA money stash for too much longer, especially with Boston making moves.

One would assume so, given the gargantuan baseline set for big contracts this offseason and what you said. The only potential roadblock is is supposed unwillingness to play in a big city, but I think 9 figures can demolish most roadblocks.

Also, this means that Beltre, bullpen guys, etc. are also probably out of the running. I'd almost rather re-sign Beltre, get Russell Martin, and Rafael Soriano or something for the same $20MM. I think that would have been better use of the money if Lee definitely wasn't coming. Crawford needs to play right or center at Fenway for his glove to have the same kind of impact, and if that doesn't happen (oh yeah, there's also Drew, Ellsbury, and Cameron to find room for), a significant part of his value will be wasted.

The Red Sox have said "Enough of this 'Missing the Playoffs' bull :censored:, we're getting Carl Crawford."

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's 7 years, $142M. Carl Crawford is thanking God for the Nationals inflating his price even more after offering Jayson Werth Monopoly money.

So after the past few months and even 3 different articles I read today of "Crawford to the Angels is almost a certainty," this happens.

What the hell.

:censored: YOU, BOSTON!

:censored: YOU, RED SOX!

:censored: YOU, CARL CRAWFORD!

My thoughts exactly.

I would be pissed at the GM right now if you wanted him so much. How could this news just explode like this given all the reports that he would inevitably sign in LA? I have no idea either, it's just a thought. Either that, or you will be thanking him when Crawford doesn't live up to the contract at all and LA gets a couple of impact players for that money. I get the anger, but you're missing the fact that this is huge money. I'm not even totally on board yet, but then again, I didn't have media telling me for the last week that he was coming to Boston.

This has been an interesting few days for the entire league.

For the Cubs, Pena is Pena, whatever. They could have chosen someone with a bat, but at least theres signs of life from the organization other than renovating Wrigley. I'm afraid Pena is gonna continue to hit .197 and will get booed out of town, though. Just ask Milton bradley and the "racist" cubs fans.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I hope Crawford rots in Boston, his talents are wasted playing in LF at Fenway. He was always a classy guy in Tampa, but now has gone to the top of the D-Bag list for me.

The Angels were a perfect fit for him...

What could he have done differently to have remained "classy" in your eyes?

One would assume so, given the gargantuan baseline set for big contracts this offseason and what you said. The only potential roadblock is is supposed unwillingness to play in a big city, but I think 9 figures can demolish most roadblocks.

Not sure where that is coming from. From all accounts, he loved playing in Philadelphia, never wanted to leave, wanted to come back, and didn't like the less intense atmospheres of Seattle and Arlington / Dallas / Wherever it is and wanted to go back to playing under the bright lights (wherever that may be.) Philadelphia is a pretty big city... but New York is a hell of a lot bigger. I don't think that any aversion to playing in a large metro area with a big media presence would stop him from going there or anywhere else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, he's never signed in a huge market, and I thought I remembered him going straight to the woods after the World Series and Cashman visiting him in Arkansas or whatever, and the articles mentioning that he prefers the quiet life (and that being a factor in his decision). Maybe not. Like I said, more than likely he's going to NY, but I definitely remember reading that somewhere.

After digesting this Crawford signing for a bit, I'm more optimistic. Age has traditionally been kind to the Crawford type (Rickey, Raines, Damon), and I'm more of a believer now that he is an elite player. After Werth, there was no way that he wouldn't get more, and when all is said and done, $16MM over 7 years isn't that much more. Plus, John Henry has been buying a few toys (cough, Liverpool) recently and I must assume he is absolutely rolling in cash. I'm glad to see the commitment to the team, but this handicaps the Sox for 2011, as they're only about $9MM under the luxury tax as it is. In 2012 with Drew and Ortiz off the books, there will be a significant amount of breathing room. Come to think of it, Theo has added Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford for zero immediate cost to the Major League team. That's astonishing at worst, IMO. This team should be loaded next year, and if one more good bullpen guy can be had, it won't really have a big weakness.

I hope Crawford rots in Boston, his talents are wasted playing in LF at Fenway. He was always a classy guy in Tampa, but now has gone to the top of the D-Bag list for me.

What could he have done differently to have remained "classy" in your eyes?

Signed with the team that this dude likes for less money or for being loyal or some other s :censored: . Come on, BBTV, you should know that. :D

Hey Liverpool fans, apparently NESV has money to spend...on the Red Sox.

I dont understand this deal at all. I agree with what a lot of people already said it was the Phillies line up and ballpark that inflated his stats. In DC he will struggle, and the Nats will regret this deal.

Yet to you thought Uggla (age 31 at the start of the 2011 season) was worth an 4 year extension worth at least $71MM?

This has been an interesting few days for the entire league.

For the Cubs, Pena is Pena, whatever. They could have chosen someone with a bat, but at least theres signs of life from the organization other than renovating Wrigley. I'm afraid Pena is gonna continue to hit .197 and will get booed out of town, though. Just ask Milton bradley and the "racist" cubs fans.

I agree in that Pena is a "whatever" signing. He'll wear cubby blue for a year, hit under .220, earn a pretty $10 mil for meh results. But I figure this entire 2010 Cub team is going to be a big puddle of crap, regardless.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Crawford's defensive talents are wasted in the LF of Fenway.

The 8th of December 2010 will from this day forth be known as Black Wednesday in the Rays Republic.

What will it be called if it happens to be a Wednesday when the team announces it's moving?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 8th of December 2010 will from this day forth be known as Black Wednesday in the Rays Republic.

What will it be called if it happens to be a Wednesday when the team announces it's moving?

"The Day the Original 3 Rays fans said f@#$ it."

Wednesday.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived