The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

I hope Crawford rots in Boston, his talents are wasted playing in LF at Fenway. He was always a classy guy in Tampa, but now has gone to the top of the D-Bag list for me.

The Angels were a perfect fit for him...

What could he have done differently to have remained "classy" in your eyes?

Signed with the team that this dude likes for less money or for being loyal or some other s :censored: . Come on, BBTV, you should know that. :D

I wouldn't even go that far, I knew the Rays front office couldn't afford anything close to what he'd get. I looked at the Angels being his best option to utilize the player he is. To play LF in Fenway, all he's going to do is turn around and take bounces off the Monster, rather than cover the field.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if it wasn't official before, it is now. The Red Sox are the Yankees 2.0.

I hate this division. Just when it seems the Jays are making progress, Gonzalez, Crawford and Probably Lee move to the AL East. Ugh.

And yes, these grapes do taste very sour.

Crawford's defensive talents are wasted in the LF of Fenway.

The 8th of December 2010 will from this day forth be known as Black Wednesday in the Rays Republic.

You really expected him to re-sign with you guys...?

hardly. I mean no I didn't but I did expect him to end up in a place with an actual LF.

The 8th of December 2010 will from this day forth be known as Black Wednesday in the Rays Republic.

What will it be called if it happens to be a Wednesday when the team announces it's moving?

Black Wednesday, Part 2

I hope Crawford rots in Boston, his talents are wasted playing in LF at Fenway. He was always a classy guy in Tampa, but now has gone to the top of the D-Bag list for me.

Signed with the team that this dude likes for less money or for being loyal or some other s :censored: . Come on, BBTV, you should know that. :D

I wouldn't even go that far, I knew the Rays front office couldn't afford anything close to what he'd get. I looked at the Angels being his best option to utilize the player he is. To play LF in Fenway, all he's going to do is turn around and take bounces off the Monster, rather than cover the field.

Do you know what the Angels offered? Maybe he likes the East coast, or maybe his family didn't want to live in those other cities, or maybe the Red Sox made him an offer he couldn't refuse (which seems like the most likely scenario.) Not sure how that makes someone a dbag or how they can be classy one day, then be unclassy for choosing to work somewhere else. Unless we're talking dbag in the sports only sense, in which case everyone on any team that I don't root for is a total dbag, unless they happen to get traded to my team, in which case they're classy and whoever we traded is a dbag. I get that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies very close to signing Dennys Reyes. So they'd have a Dennys and a Danyz.

Also, the lead story on Sports Night tonight was that they're actually discussing what kind of package they could put together for Zach Greinke. I don't see how they could possibly have the prospects left to get this done, but stranger things have happened. A year ago they said that they weren't going to get Halladay, next thing you know their top pitching prospect and a few others were on their way to Toronto.

http://www.csnphilly...9352&feedID=704

RAJ has been quoted saying that they're "thinking big". May be totally unrelated, or just a smoke screen, but apparently they have actually spoken to the Royals. They also pulled Domonic Brown back from winter ball, supposedly because he was worn out... but could it be that they need to ensure his health while they work on a package that he's a part of? That would really leave them devoid of prospects, and with no heir apparent to Ibanez in left for when he eventually either dies or is not resigned.

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies very close to signing Dennys Reyes. So they'd have a Dennys and a Danyz.

Also, the lead story on Sports Night tonight was that they're actually discussing what kind of package they could put together for Zach Greinke. I don't see how they could possibly have the prospects left to get this done, but stranger things have happened. A year ago they said that they weren't going to get Halladay, next thing you know their top pitching prospect and a few others were on their way to Toronto.

RAJ has been quoted saying that they're "thinking big". May be totally unrelated, or just a smoke screen, but apparently they have actually spoken to the Royals. They also pulled Domonic Brown back from winter ball, supposedly because he was worn out... but could it be that they need to ensure his health while they work on a package that he's a part of? That would really leave them devoid of prospects, and with no heir apparent to Ibanez in left for when he eventually either dies or is not resigned.

I mean, obviously I don't really know the situation in Philadelphia, but is pitching really that big of a need for them? It seems that an outfield spot would be a better option for them (or maybe a bullpen guy, I know how much you love Lidge), already having Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels in the rotation. But then again I don't really know the Phillies too well.

You have a Republic? Is this like Sealand or something?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good 2B are harder to find than Outfielders

Uggla isn't a good 2B. He is an attrocious 2B who hits a lot of homers. The Braves could have signed Adam Dunn for less and stuck him at 2B, but that wouldn't make him a good second baseman. In fact, I don't know if Dunn would be much worse at 2B than Uggla.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Orioles trade two minor league relievers to Twins for JJ Hardy and Brendan Harris

Another solid trade. The minor league relievers were Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey. Jacobson had a solid year in Frederick, but to be honest I never really heard of him before that. Hoey was once considered to have a future in the bullpen, but could never put it together in the majors. Basically neither were a part of the Orioles future. JJ Hardy was the SS I wanted that we were targeting. Bartlett didn't interested me, especially considering what the Rays were asking for him (Luke Scott last trade deadline and Nolan Reimold a few days ago). Izturis was an excellent defender, but perhaps the worst hitter in the majors. Hardy's bat will be a HUGE improvement to the lineup. Overall MacPhail has done a great job this offseason. He's really responded to the weaknesses and so far filled 2 of the 3 black holes (3B, SS, 1B). Now he just got to try and get Derrek Lee or Adam LaRoche, either will similarly be a HUGE improvement to last year's 1B production.

One would assume so, given the gargantuan baseline set for big contracts this offseason and what you said. The only potential roadblock is is supposed unwillingness to play in a big city, but I think 9 figures can demolish most roadblocks.

Not sure where that is coming from. From all accounts, he loved playing in Philadelphia, never wanted to leave, wanted to come back, and didn't like the less intense atmospheres of Seattle and Arlington / Dallas / Wherever it is and wanted to go back to playing under the bright lights (wherever that may be.) Philadelphia is a pretty big city... but New York is a hell of a lot bigger. I don't think that any aversion to playing in a large metro area with a big media presence would stop him from going there or anywhere else.

Lee has said he loved playing in Arlington and wanted to return. It's the closest to his home in Benton, Ark. Now, I still believe that 6th year that the Yanks will probably add now along with the 9 digits after will be rather convincing, but here's hoping that he realizes he's gonna get paid either way and makes the "right" decision.

And I heard on ESPN last night when it looked like he was going to LA that Crawford wanted to play in a warm weather city, which makes him going to Boston all that much more surprising. Everybody going to NY or Boston all the time now is really taking the fun out of the free agency season.

I mean, obviously I don't really know the situation in Philadelphia, but is pitching really that big of a need for them? It seems that an outfield spot would be a better option for them (or maybe a bullpen guy, I know how much you love Lidge), already having Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels in the rotation. But then again I don't really know the Phillies too well.

Good starting pitching can mask a weak bullpen. It doesn't appear that they're going to be able to improve the pen too much, so maybe bumping fat Joe Blanton down to #5 and bringing in a solid pitcher at #4 would have the same effect. Not sure what happens in the playoffs, when one of them has to be a bullpen pitcher for at least the first round... but that's a good problem to have. Also, there are a lot of concerns about Oswalt's back and how he will be able to hold up, so this may be a pre-emptive move (IF it actually happens, which it most likely won't and can't.)

You are correct that a solid right-handed bat is the higher priority - but who's out there? Unless this is a smoke screen while they're working on some other trade, I don't know what they can really do.

One would assume so, given the gargantuan baseline set for big contracts this offseason and what you said. The only potential roadblock is is supposed unwillingness to play in a big city, but I think 9 figures can demolish most roadblocks.

Not sure where that is coming from. From all accounts, he loved playing in Philadelphia, never wanted to leave, wanted to come back, and didn't like the less intense atmospheres of Seattle and Arlington / Dallas / Wherever it is and wanted to go back to playing under the bright lights (wherever that may be.) Philadelphia is a pretty big city... but New York is a hell of a lot bigger. I don't think that any aversion to playing in a large metro area with a big media presence would stop him from going there or anywhere else.

Lee has said he loved playing in Arlington and wanted to return. It's the closest to his home in Benton, Ark. Now, I still believe that 6th year that the Yanks will probably add now along with the 9 digits after will be rather convincing, but here's hoping that he realizes he's gonna get paid either way and makes the "right" decision.

And I heard on ESPN last night when it looked like he was going to LA that Crawford wanted to play in a warm weather city, which makes him going to Boston all that much more surprising. Everybody going to NY or Boston all the time now is really taking the fun out of the free agency season.

Just going by what he said to his former Phillie teammates who he still keeps in touch with (most noteably a current Washington National). It's been reported that he's sent text messages about how weak the atmosphere was in Texas and how he hoped he could come back. Of course the public statements will be different. Of course I haven't actually seen the messages or heard the phone conversations, so I'm just going by what reporters have said. I'm friends with one of the beat writers who has said that players have told him that they talk or text with Lee regularly and that's what he said.

With that logic where's the land that is the Red Sox nation. -.-' Use some damn commonsense! Jeez. It's a nickname for the fanbase, it's not a new concept.

Orioles trade two minor league relievers to Twins for JJ Hardy and Brendan Harris

Another solid trade. The minor league relievers were Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey. Jacobson had a solid year in Frederick, but to be honest I never really heard of him before that. Hoey was once considered to have a future in the bullpen, but could never put it together in the majors. Basically neither were a part of the Orioles future. JJ Hardy was the SS I wanted that we were targeting. Bartlett didn't interested me, especially considering what the Rays were asking for him (Luke Scott last trade deadline and Nolan Reimold a few days ago). Izturis was an excellent defender, but perhaps the worst hitter in the majors. Hardy's bat will be a HUGE improvement to the lineup. Overall MacPhail has done a great job this offseason. He's really responded to the weaknesses and so far filled 2 of the 3 black holes (3B, SS, 1B). Now he just got to try and get Derrek Lee or Adam LaRoche, either will similarly be a HUGE improvement to last year's 1B production.

Can we just forget about all of the other divisions and focus on the AL East?

25yzwqg.png

With that logic where's the land that is the Red Sox nation.

You're missing the point. Millions of fans can reasonably be referred to in the context of sports as a "nation." The 13 people that actually care about the Rays is hardly a "republic." :P

BB52Big.jpg

You're missing the point. Millions of fans can reasonably be referred to in the context of sports as a "nation." The 13 people that actually care about the Rays is hardly a "republic." :P

Well maybe you can have Rays Treehouse

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Holy :censored:, Tank is on a roll?!

:lol:

A treehouse might be too big. How about your parents' basement?

Archived