The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's wait until the season starts before we all wet ourselves over the Phillies and their greatness.

Yea everyone did the exact same thing last season too. That turned out pretty good for the ones of us not fans of/bandwagoning Philly.

While they appear to be the beasts of the NL East at the moment, as previously mentioned, they'll have to make some moves offensively. No Werth, Rollins is gonna have to start hitting consistently again, Utley needs to stay healthy and more. So far, their pitchong has gone up, but hitting has gone down.

I wanted to see him return to Texas (and I still don't buy that this means he didn't like it there, just that he really wanted to return to Philly more), but to see him turn down more years (which he seemed to demand) and a lot more money, especially from NYY, to return to a place he loved really gives me a lot of respect for the guy... even if it was the Phillies.

I think with the Phillies rotation and line up, even without Werth they could make a serious run at 120.

How soon we forget teams like this year's Miami Heat and New York Jets -- "paper chapions", if you will.

I'm not saying the Phillies aren't going to win their fair share of games next season, but let's not be so fast to "crown their ass".

6uXNWAo.png

I think with the Phillies rotation and line up, even without Werth they could make a serious run at 120.

120 wins? That's :censored:-ing hilarious. No, now that I think about it, that's just :censored:-ing stupid. Lest we forget, Atlanta had a "dream rotation" once upon a time. They won exactly one World Series.

Baseball is a funny game. Ask the 2001 Mariners.

BB52Big.jpg

It looks like Blanton and possibly Ibanez and Kendrick will be dealt to clear some $$. Blanton was already linked to the Tigers for a potential destination...

Kendrick doesn't make any money, and probably isn't very attractive to many teams. Keep him in AAA or see if he can hack it in the 'pen. Joe Blanton is a fat out-of-shape piece of feces who I hope snaps his femur every time he takes the mound. It was foolish to tender him last season (that move essentially forced their hand with Lee) so I'd get rid of him for anything possible, even if it means eating half of the money. Lord knows Blanton looks like he ate all the money.

Ibanez hasn't been the same since mid '09, and is blocking Domonic Brown as the left handed outfielder in the lineup. I think he's due 10 or 11 M this year - see if someone will take him and throw in 6 M. Use the extra 5 to get someone to either play right, or platoon with Francisco. Or platoon Brown with Francisco and get someone for Left. Whatever - it doesn't matter. Hell - put Oswalt in left.

This is the exact reason why I love Philadelphia sports fans. They entertain the hell out of me, and in a good way!

The Phillies sign Lee and currently have the best pitching staff in the NL, and how does BBTV react? He hopes the 5th starter breaks a leg and makes fat jokes. Where else in the country do you get this?

Don't ever change, BBTV....you crack me the hell up!

And besides the Phillies are always victim to about 2 spurts of bad streaks during the season. 120 is out of the question in my opinion.

But Cujo, you got some skills there haha. Way better than what ESPN and those card companies are going to do...

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

So the Phillies have one Hell of a starting rotation, but how's the rest of the staff? Who's the closer? Offensively, there are three players the Phils can count on, Utley, Rollins, and Howard. The rest of the team is a bunch of civs. I'm not saying that civs can't win you a World Series, just look at the '88 Dodgers, but let's all be realistic and look at how thin their offense really is. If they can win 60 1-0 games, then they have a great shot at the World Series. I just don't know if the pitching staff past the top 4 starters is that good... or good at all. It really looks like 4 starters and nothing. I would give them a better chance if they went to a four man rotation, but you have the fifth starter. Let's also realize that we are assuming that all four starters stay healthy. They look good in December, but you don't win a World Series in December.

Rather than just quotes, like, 8 of the last 13 posts, I'll add this:

I'm sure the initial reaction is to say: ZOMG Phillies will be beasts from now on. I actually think it's the opposite. I think the Phillies' clock just started ticking.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's going to suck for me to be a Mets fan, a little more than it does. While I agree that you can't simply crown the Phillies as champs before you play a game, 1)There's always going to be talk like that before the season, it's sports and 2) You can definitely say they're going to win a hefty amount of games.

Let's not forget that while you NEED offense over the course of the season, great pitching changes exactly how much offense you need. The Phillies posted a +132 run-differential, tops in the NL and third in the majors. They scored 772 runs - will that drop without Werth? Likely. But the Phillies ranked 4th in the NL in Runs Against - a standing which I have a hard time believing won't be first, second or third this year. Point is, they only need to make the playoffs, and then I'd want no part of them, diminished offense or not.

Look no further than the 2009 Giants. They scored 80 runs fewer than Philly, but gave up 60 fewer also. That only led them to a division title and a WS championship, but whatever. All I'm saying is that I can't look at the Philly offense and seriously say that will undermine them.

So why do I open it so negatively? I give the FO credit for opening up the wallet, and Cliff Lee credit for taking a lot less money to play somewhere he legitmately wants to. But there's a time limit here. It's the last year for Jimmy Rollins, for Cole Hamels, for Raul Ibanez, for Ryan Madson, for Roy Oswalt(disregarding a 2012 club option), for Brad Lidge(same). With their payroll now rising to $146 million, the time is 2011. I know on paper, they have Halladay and Lee together through 2013, at least. I get it. But everyone needs to come together and deliver a World Series this year, because:

1. If all of those guys bounce back or improve on 2010's performances(but no World Series), bringing all of them back would be expensive and unlikely.

2. If they don't bounce back, you'd part ways with some for good: Rollins, Madson, etc.

The point is, either it will get expensive to bring them back OR the Phillies will choose not to bring them back. Either way, you'll be replacing them with younger, cheaper talent. Which is great, except you start the process of rebuilding the clubhouse vibe. Look no further than the Yankees: As guys from the dynasty teams retired or left, all the money in the world couldn't bring back the chemistry until Cashman finally struck the right chord with Texeria, C.C., Swisher and A.J.

Win the World Series this year, and those guys, should they still be producing, may come back at a reduced rate to keep it going, or it will attract other guys with team-first attitudes that want to win. Lose it, and those guys may seek greener(money-wise) pastures. I truly believe that while the Phils will ALWAYS be good with their FO as it is now, this year just became a huge pressure-cooker for them. Win the Series, and ZOMG they will be beasts for a good while. Lose it, and I'm sorry, they continue on their path to being the 2001-2008 Yankees.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

So the Phillies have one Hell of a starting rotation, but how's the rest of the staff? Who's the closer? Offensively, there are three players the Phils can count on, Utley, Rollins, and Howard. The rest of the team is a bunch of civs. I'm not saying that civs can't win you a World Series, just look at the '88 Dodgers, but let's all be realistic and look at how thin their offense really is. If they can win 60 1-0 games, then they have a great shot at the World Series. I just don't know if the pitching staff past the top 4 starters is that good... or good at all. It really looks like 4 starters and nothing. I would give them a better chance if they went to a four man rotation, but you have the fifth starter. Let's also realize that we are assuming that all four starters stay healthy. They look good in December, but you don't win a World Series in December.

The Phillies were second in the NL in runs scored last year and had lenghty DL stints from 6 out of their 8 starters. To say the offense is a weakness is insane.

The bullpen is a weakspot, but Brad Lidge was 17 for 18 in save opportunities with a 0.73 ERA in the last 2 months of the season. In that same amount of time set up man Ryan Madson posted a 1.07 ERA in 35 games pitched. When on the back end of the Phillies bullpen is tops in the majors.

21dh5qp.png

The Phillies were second in the NL in runs scored last year and had lenghty DL stints from 6 out of their 8 starters. To say the offense is a weakness is insane.

THANK YOU. I was worried I had to call off the dogs a little after the past several days, and so I was too scared to ask how a lineup with Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, and Jimmy Rollins was the modern-day equivalent of the single-steal-sacrifice early '60s Dodgers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

THANK YOU. I was worried I had to call off the dogs a little after the past several days, and so I was too scared to ask how a lineup with Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, and Jimmy Rollins was the modern-day equivalent of the single-steal-sacrifice early '60s Dodgers.

Yeah, losing Werth will hurt. But even Ruiz, their eight hole hitter typically, was contributing on a regular basis last year. They still can make opposing pitchers very worried.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

If the Phillies do not win the 2011 World Series they will be the biggest chokers ever. This team is scary good.

The 2001 Mariners say hi.

I say hi back, because it will be up to that level.

Keep in mind the 2001 Mariners lost to team that was going to it's 4th Straight World Series, and 5th in 6 years.c

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived