AnythingChicago

The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

Grienke to the Brewers. First the Jays give them Marcum and now we miss out on Grienke. At least he didn't go to an AL team, but I was hoping we'd land him.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/brewersgreinketrade.html?24690

That article is REALLY jumping the gun.

The rumor a deal is done has been refuted by everyone.

ESPN: Grienke traded to Milwaukee

How's that for ya?

At the time, there was nobody outside of Milwaukee who were reporting the trade, and even the team's beat writer, Tom Hadicourt, who'd said he'd heard nothing final. Kevin Goldstein of BP came pretty close to saying it wasn't going to happen.

I still don't think this makes the Brewers competitors.

How are they not competitors? Sure they're not stacked like Philly, although they lost Werth's bat, take a look at this:

SP - Zack Greinke

SP - Yovani Gallardo

SP - Shaun Marcum

SP - Randy Wolf

SP - Chris Narveson

RP - Zach Braddock

RP - Kameron Loe

RP - Manny Parra

RP - Mitch Stetter

SU - LaTroy Hawkins

CP - John Axford

C - Jonathan Lucroy

1B - Prince Fielder

2B - Rickie Weeks

SS - Yuniesky Betancourt

3B - Casey McGehee

OF - Ryan Braun

OF - Corey Hart

OF - Carlos Gomez

I mean, this is a rough sketch, but more or less this is what you'll see on opening day. Frankly, I (and I think most Brewers fans) can live with this. I think this squad can compete for first in the NL Central or a wild card spot. On paper, and barring major injuries, they are hands down better than the Pirates, Cubs, and Astros. They're probably on par with St. Louis and Cincinnati overall, but have better starting pitching. That would, ideally, make the difference. When it comes down to it, they can hit with anyone, and now they can go pitch for pitch with most of the league (except the friggin' Phillies nightmare rotation).

...I will get off of my soap box now. It was a Dove soap box if anyone cares. Must find recycling container....

That bullpen is scary awful. It's like the island of misfit toys.

They have a strong 1-4 in their rotation and their defensively challenged lineup will swing at absolutely anything and will hit a lot of dingers. They could finish 1st in the NL in home runs but in the bottom half of the league in OBP and runs scored.

They're not particularly deep, and even without any regression from the younger players (which is likely) or injuries (which is even more likely), they're not a more solid all around team than the Reds or the Cards.

Could everyone hit lightning, their issues not catch up to them and compete? Sure. It's just not likely. I think they'll be 7-8 games out come the trading deadline and I expect them to shop Fielder, reshop Grienke, and then some.

That is not the MIL lineup which they are likely to have after the trade deadline. Fielder is represented by Boras, so he is going to leave. I don't think that MIL will let Fielder walk for basically nothing via free agency, will they?

That said, TEX had a 1/2 of Feldman and Harden at the start of last season, and they still won the AL West.

No rotation in which Randy Wolf is anything other than a #5 is a contending rotation.

I was actually really surprised how :censored:ty Wolf was last year, looking at it a little more closely. FIP and xFIP close to 5, his walk rate and home run rate were both up... a 1.63 K/BB rate. Yikes.

But hey, he'll be 34 next year. LOTS of 34 year old pitchers turn it around, don't they?

No rotation in which Randy Wolf is anything other than a #5 is a contending rotation.

I was actually really surprised how :censored:ty Wolf was last year, looking at it a little more closely. FIP and xFIP close to 5, his walk rate and home run rate were both up... a 1.63 K/BB rate. Yikes.

But hey, he'll be 34 next year. LOTS of 34 year old pitchers turn it around, don't they?

Sure, but this isn't 2003 anymore. Whenever I used to see that Randy Wolf was pitching against the Reds I'd do a fist-pump to myself.

I'm not afraid of the Brewers with Greinke anymore than I was of the Brewers without him.

Apparently, the Royals didn't want to deal Grienke in the AL, which is really stupid, because he's only signed for two years, and the Royals won't be competing within the next two years.

I've never understood this line of thinking when it comes to trading. A team should take the best offer they receiver, even if its in the same league or division. You've got to improve the team and its stupid to take a lesser offer. Especially when the player you trade can just sign with your competitor in free agency.

The Royals have a stacked farm system, so I don't think it will be too long before they begin competing again. I personally think they would have been better off keeping Greinke, but if he wanted out I guess they had no choice. I'm guessing the Brewers are trying to go all in as this may be their last season with Prince Fielder.

Apparently, Greinke was close to becoming a member of the Washington Nationals, but he would not waive his limited no-trade clause to accomodate the move. What's gotten into the (G)Nats? Though they didn't get him, I'm pleased to see the Lerners actually realizing that they have to spend money to win in today's Major League Baseball. Welcome to 2010, boys. We've been waiting for y'all.

Grienke to the Brewers. First the Jays give them Marcum and now we miss out on Grienke. At least he didn't go to an AL team, but I was hoping we'd land him.

How's that for ya?

At the time, there was nobody outside of Milwaukee who were reporting the trade, and even the team's beat writer, Tom Hadicourt, who'd said he'd heard nothing final. Kevin Goldstein of BP came pretty close to saying it wasn't going to happen.

Have you looked at the rest of the Division? Cincinnati played out of their minds last season, Pittsburgh is run by criminal profitmongers, the Cubs are blowing cash on :censored: ty veterans and washed up fan favorites, Houston is still digging out from their recent collapse, and the Cardinals are managed by a petty would-be Machiavelli with an ego the size of Jacksonville. (and they also blow cash on :censored: ty veterans!)

They ARE competitors for the division title.

Just some unfounded speculation - Ryne Sandberg will be the next Phillies manager. I think (and have heard speculation) that Uncle Charlie will either call it quits or return to a coaching role after a season or two, and Sandberg was hired for AAA with the understanding that he'd be given consideration should such an event occur.

How's that for ya?

Have you looked at the rest of the Division? Cincinnati played out of their minds last season, Pittsburgh is run by criminal profitmongers, the Cubs are blowing cash on :censored: ty veterans and washed up fan favorites, Houston is still digging out from their recent collapse, and the Cardinals are managed by a petty would-be Machiavelli with an ego the size of Jacksonville. (and they also blow cash on :censored: ty veterans!)

Here's the other thing...it's not like the Brewers have to pack it in for the offseason. I'm sure they'll try and sign a Free Agent reliever or two.

It's great the Brewers signed Greinke and all, but can he really pitch if the team is competitive? I mean, the guy lost a tennis match on purpose in high school because he couldn't take the pressure of being undefeated. If the Brewers are competitive, can he really pitch in a meaningful game? I mean, I'd love if the Cubs signed him, but he just doesn't seem like a guy you'd want to throw out if you needed a win to stay in a playoff race.

He isn't in high school anymore. Does the time you egged the choir teacher's car reflect on your ability to be a responsible person today? He treated a lot of his depression and anxiety issues during his leave of absence from the Royals. It is indeed a shame that the Cubs couldn't get him. He's one of my favorite players.

How's that for ya?

Here's the other thing...it's not like the Brewers have to pack it in for the offseason. I'm sure they'll try and sign a Free Agent reliever or two.

How well did the Brewers do last season, huh? 8 games under .500 and 14 games out of first. The Reds made no changes to a team that won the division by 5 games (thanks in large part to the Cardinals deciding to only beat teams above .500... unfortunately they had one of the "easiest" schedules for the the second half). The Cardinals made lateral moves at best. The Brewers... got a really good pitcher, but that's all. They'll be competitive for probably later in the season, but I still see them finishing about third. Reds are still the favorites, followed by the Cards and then the Brew Crew.

How's that for ya?

How well did the Brewers do last season, huh? 8 games under .500 and 14 games out of first. The Reds made no changes to a team that won the division by 5 games (thanks in large part to the Cardinals deciding to only beat teams above .500... unfortunately they had one of the "easiest" schedules for the the second half). The Cardinals made lateral moves at best. The Brewers... got a really good pitcher, but that's all. They'll be competitive for probably later in the season, but I still see them finishing about third. Reds are still the favorites, followed by the Cards and then the Brew Crew.

The Brewers, Reds, Astros, and Cubs are all the same team. They look good on paper and every once in a while they'll be the lucky squirrel and find their nut with a Division Championship, but 8 out 10 years you can expect them to middle of the pack teams.

No sooner after I posted my rant here, within a few weeks look at what has happened. I don't take back everything that I said, but I do apologize for going AWOL from my fandom. I don't care what all ya'll haters are saying out there. I'm happy and many other Brewers fans are happy today.