The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Don't be shocked if the Yankees call 1-800-45Pedro.

Umm, no. The Yankees don't chase after 40+ year old has-beens.

gal_comeback-clemens.jpg

Roger Clemens is in George's box, and Roger Clemens is coming back! Oh my goodness gracious!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be shocked if the Yankees call 1-800-45Pedro.

Umm, no. The Yankees don't chase after 40+ year old has-beens.

gal_comeback-clemens.jpg

Roger Clemens is in George's box, and Roger Clemens is coming back! Oh my goodness gracious!

To be fair, he was a 40 year old, 'roided up still-was.

IUe6Hvh.png

Maybe the team that wins the NL Central will win 1 playoff game this year.

I think most Brewers fans would be happy with an NLCS berth. Anything after that is gravy.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

NLCS birth

berth. You don't exit the womb for postseason play.

True story. That's what I get for posting at 4:28 am.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Grienke to the Brewers. First the Jays give them Marcum and now we miss out on Grienke. At least he didn't go to an AL team, but I was hoping we'd land him.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/brewersgreinketrade.html?24690

That article is REALLY jumping the gun.

The rumor a deal is done has been refuted by everyone.

ESPN: Grienke traded to Milwaukee

How's that for ya?

At the time, there was nobody outside of Milwaukee who were reporting the trade, and even the team's beat writer, Tom Hadicourt, who'd said he'd heard nothing final. Kevin Goldstein of BP came pretty close to saying it wasn't going to happen.

I still don't think this makes the Brewers competitors.

Have you looked at the rest of the Division? Cincinnati played out of their minds last season, Pittsburgh is run by criminal profitmongers, the Cubs are blowing cash on :censored: ty veterans and washed up fan favorites, Houston is still digging out from their recent collapse, and the Cardinals are managed by a petty would-be Machiavelli with an ego the size of Jacksonville. (and they also blow cash on :censored: ty veterans!)

They ARE competitors for the division title.

Here's the other thing...it's not like the Brewers have to pack it in for the offseason. I'm sure they'll try and sign a Free Agent reliever or two.

How well did the Brewers do last season, huh? 8 games under .500 and 14 games out of first. The Reds made no changes to a team that won the division by 5 games (thanks in large part to the Cardinals deciding to only beat teams above .500... unfortunately they had one of the "easiest" schedules for the the second half). The Cardinals made lateral moves at best. The Brewers... got a really good pitcher, but that's all. They'll be competitive for probably later in the season, but I still see them finishing about third. Reds are still the favorites, followed by the Cards and then the Brew Crew.

So you're telling me that Zach Greinke and Shaun Marcum won't get you 14 more wins than Dave Bush and Manny Parra? Last year, Grienke had 10 wins on a :censored:ty KC team and Marcum had 13 on a comparable team talent-wise. Bush had all of 8, and Parra had 3 (Capuano had 4 FWIW). There's 8 of those 14 wins right there for ya, and I'd say any team that would finish 6 games out would be considered a contender. Plus, if the Brewers lineup can produce this year (and their young guys like McGehee can get even better), they're definitely contenders. In my eyes, they might be the favorites in the division, especially if they can make one more move to strengthen their bullpen.

6fQjS3M.png

So you're telling me that Zach Greinke and Shaun Marcum won't get you 14 more wins than Dave Bush and Manny Parra? Last year, Grienke had 10 wins on a :censored:ty KC team and Marcum had 13 on a comparable team talent-wise. Bush had all of 8, and Parra had 3 (Capuano had 4 FWIW). There's 8 of those 14 wins right there for ya, and I'd say any team that would finish 6 games out would be considered a contender. Plus, if the Brewers lineup can produce this year (and their young guys like McGehee can get even better), they're definitely contenders. In my eyes, they might be the favorites in the division, especially if they can make one more move to strengthen their bullpen.

WOW.

Seriously... I can't even debate this. Because of the wins a pitcher got playing for another team in the American League, regardless of their actual performance on the year, it immediately transfers over to another team.

Ho-lee :censored:. That's some logic there.

WOW.

Seriously... I can't even debate this. Because of the wins a pitcher got playing for another team in the American League, regardless of their actual performance on the year, it immediately transfers over to another team.

Ho-lee :censored:. That's some logic there.

Tank has raised him well.

His logic is bad, but Greinke and Marcum do indeed make the Brewers a hell of a lot better than they were before. This is the first time they've had three legitimate arms in the rotation since the tail end of 2008, and even then, Gallardo wasn't back to 100%.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

His logic is bad, but Greinke and Marcum do indeed make the Brewers a hell of a lot better than they were before. This is the first time they've had three legitimate arms in the rotation since the tail end of 2008, and even then, Gallardo wasn't back to 100%.

Yeah, but how many times have we seen a team with "legitimate" arms, only to watch 2 of them go down for the year in spring training? The real question is, not how well Greinke will do, but who are they going to trade him to at the July 31st deadline? I don't see either Greinke or Fielder with the Brew Crew after July 31, 2011.

Yeah, but how many times have we seen a team with "legitimate" arms, only to watch 2 of them go down for the year in spring training?

So your argument against the Brewers is that some players might get injured? That's an argument against every team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Indians are really making a statement this offseason. Re-signing Austin Kearns for 1 year, $1.3 million. Now they are looking to bring back Bartolo Collon? I'm sure the Tigers, Twins, and Sox are desperate to make some equally as meaningful moves to lessen the blow of what the Tribe is putting together..

Son of a bitch... if you want to bring back players... bring back Manny and Omar... you'll at least get some more fans in the stands. You might actually his 10,000 per game. Thanks Dolan's.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Brewers beat the "Big Boys" awwwww boo freaking hoo! FINALLY my favorite team has one of the BEST rotations the NL! If not the whole league!!! With Rickie, Braun, Fielder, and McGehee popping the runs and those guys shutting it down this feels awesome for me!!! Can't wait till pitchers and catchers report!

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived