The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

6 Years/ $96 mil for a 32-yr old with a career .328 OBP, has hit 30+ HRs only once in his career (before steroids were banned), over .800 OPS (the standard for a productive hitter) 4 times in a 12-year career. That's an awful lot to pay to upgrade your 3B defense.

They're gonna regret this in a few short years.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar are your new Hall of Famers.

About damn time for Blyleven. I was beginning to think that he was only going to get in on his last chance next year, but he got it this year. Good for him.

Good to see Barry Larkin get a good percentage of the vote. Having him spent his entire career in Cincinnati, I always view him as probably better than he actually was. Then I read all these articles about he was actually a top SS in some categories, but they are always written by local writers or Tim Kurkjian. It's good to see that he really is getting votes for the Hall. I might be making plans to go to the ceremony should get inducted next year.

What hat does Alomar wear?

I think he should wear a Jays hat.

Jays would be good, but who could forget his long and illustrious stay with the Arizona Diamondbacks?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Jays would be good, but who could forget his long and illustrious stay with the Arizona Diamondbacks?

At least they didn't sign him to a contract where he would go into the Hall as a Diamondback quite like the Devil Rays did with Wade Boggs

I don't want to talk about it...

All the Angels have done this offseason is get two "nice" arms for the bullpen, and then lose out on their top two offseason targets for no real good reason besides being beat out. It's not like they were swayed by family or something weird. Just flat out beat in free agency. That is ultimately frustating

They really need a leadoff guy now. Apparently they are interested in Damon or Podsednik to platoon in left with Rivera and provide offense in the leadoff spot. I really don't really want either because the Angels don't really need another outfielder (Rivera in left, rookie stud Bourjos in center, Hunter in right, Abreu DHing), but those are the best two leadoff guys on the market. I don't want to have a rotation of Izturis, Aybar, Kendrick and Abreu in the one spot. It just won't work right. And if I have to choose between Damon and Podsednik, I'd take Pods. Damon provides more runs, but is way more expensive. Pods has the speed the Halos covet and is way cheaper.

Lastly, the Angels better not lose out on Rafael Soriano either. They need a closer, and Fernando Rodney isn't him.

My patience is growing thin with Reagins and Moreno.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

alomar-590x293.jpg

Like there was any doubt.

I would love to [go in as a Blue Jay]. It?s not up to me, but I would love to go in with a Toronto Blue Jays hat. I won two World Series here. I had great years with the Toronto Blue Jays. When I was first traded here, I felt embraced by the fans, by the organization. What better gift can I give back to them than to wear the hat of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Hall of Fame.

Congrats, Robby.

I don't want to talk about it...

All the Angels have done this offseason is get two "nice" arms for the bullpen, and then lose out on their top two offseason targets for no real good reason besides being beat out. It's not like they were swayed by family or something weird. Just flat out beat in free agency. That is ultimately frustating

They really need a leadoff guy now. Apparently they are interested in Damon or Podsednik to platoon in left with Rivera and provide offense in the leadoff spot. I really don't really want either because the Angels don't really need another outfielder (Rivera in left, rookie stud Bourjos in center, Hunter in right, Abreu DHing), but those are the best two leadoff guys on the market. I don't want to have a rotation of Izturis, Aybar, Kendrick and Abreu in the one spot. It just won't work right. And if I have to choose between Damon and Podsednik, I'd take Pods. Damon provides more runs, but is way more expensive. Pods has the speed the Halos covet and is way cheaper.

Lastly, the Angels better not lose out on Rafael Soriano either. They need a closer, and Fernando Rodney isn't him.

My patience is growing thin with Reagins and Moreno.

A few thoughts....

1. Texas signing Beltre might actually work in the Angels' favor (obviously, that's what I'm hoping for). This pretty much guarantees Vlad won't be back. So, instead of a guy who you flat-out can't pitch around, you have a career .275 hitter who's really had two "great" seasons, both coming in contract years. While a guy who hits .roughly .275 and 25 HRs per year is a pretty good addition, do you want to pay a guy like that $90 million? :censored: no. I'm pretty glad that Arte passed here.

2. The Angels have EIGHT core players up for arbitration, with Weaver, Kendrick and Morales more than likely doubling their salaries.

3. While I'd love to have Soriano, I doubt it'll be long until Jepsen or Walden becomes the closer. Rodney won't last in that role.

4. The addition of Downs and Takahashi are going to be pretty important, I think. While offense is still an issue, a good bullpen can obviously balance that. Plus, having a lefty (now 2) is definitely a plus. Missing Darren Oliver was pretty apparent last season.

5. I'm not holding my breath on Peter Bourjos. I'm obviously hoping he thrives, but it really seems like he's just keeping CF warm for Mike Trout, who may even debut this year.

6. :censored: Carl Crawford :D (actually, I still like Carl, although I'm sure that'll change once he actually steps on the field as a Red Sox player)

4. The addition of Downs and Takahashi are going to be pretty important, I think. While offense is still an issue, a good bullpen can obviously balance that. Plus, having a lefty (now 2) is definitely a plus. Missing Darren Oliver was pretty apparent last season.

Angels fans will love Scott Downs. One of the most underrated relievers in the game. Always felt confident when he trotted out to the mound for the Jays. I really think he could end up leading the Angels in saves this year (A Soriano signing notwithstanding). Really solid leader in the clubhouse too.

Blyleven got so much better since last year, nice to see him finally honored.

Funny how that works isn't it? Blyleven wasn't a hall of famer for the first 13 years of his eligibility. Now, that very same career that wasn't good for the first 13 years warrants HOF induction in year 14. If it took you 14 tries to get in, you weren't a hall of famer in the first place.

BB52Big.jpg

So to casual baseball fans, it's the dude who got suspended for 5 games for dropping the F-bomb on live TV a couple of times, and the dude who got suspended for 5 games for spitting in an umps face.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So to casual baseball fans, it's the dude who got suspended for 5 games for dropping the F-bomb on live TV a couple of times, and the dude who got suspended for 5 games for spitting in an umps face.

Would "casual baseball fans" even know about those two things? :rolleyes:

-Dan wasn't kidding about you was he?

BB52Big.jpg

Archived