The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar are your new Hall of Famers.

So to casual baseball fans, it's the dude who got suspended for 5 games for dropping the F-bomb on live TV a couple of times, and the dude who got suspended for 5 games for spitting in an umps face.

Would "casual baseball fans" even know about those two things? :rolleyes:

-Dan wasn't kidding about you was he?

I consider myself to be a pretty casual baseball fan, and I knew about those things.

Sidenote: Wow, you're an snarky :censored:. I was just making a joke. Ignore "casual" and just read the rest of my comment. Weren't you the guy who thought everything was a joke? I figured if anyone would find it funny, it would be you.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to casual baseball fans, it's the dude who got suspended for 5 games for dropping the F-bomb on live TV a couple of times, and the dude who got suspended for 5 games for spitting in an umps face.

I consider myself to be a pretty casual baseball fan, and I knew about those things.

Sidenote: Wow, you're an snarky :censored:. I was just making a joke. Ignore "casual" and just read the rest of my comment. Weren't you the guy who thought everything was a joke? I figured if anyone would find it funny, it would be you.

Nope, I'm a total humor snob. You have to be a lot funnier than that to get a laugh out of me. Keep trying.

BB52Big.jpg

Nope, I'm a total humor snob. You have to be a lot funnier than that to get a laugh out of me. Keep trying.

Rich Rodriguez and Michigan, does that make you laugh?

Hell, it makes me laugh and I don't even care about that rivalry. RichRod is truly the Josh McDumbass of the college coaching world.

Except there's actual empirical evidence that he's a good coach if he has a fanbase that won't bring out the long knifes the second he fails to win 10 games. If you want McDaniel's collegiate analog, look no further than his predecessor in New England. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen Weis.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To be fair, I think the Alomar thing was a pretty big deal, and anyone who even casually tuned in to Sports Center back then would have that as their lasting memory of him. Honestly, as great as he was, that's the first thing I think of when I hear his name - not necessarily in a bad way, because I don't have a problem with a guy losing it once in a blue moon in the heat of the moment, but just for as big of a story as it was.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To be fair, I think the Alomar thing was a pretty big deal, and anyone who even casually tuned in to Sports Center back then would have that as their lasting memory of him. Honestly, as great as he was, that's the first thing I think of when I hear his name - not necessarily in a bad way, because I don't have a problem with a guy losing it once in a blue moon in the heat of the moment, but just for as big of a story as it was.

Exactly. To be completely honest, those were the first things that came to my mind about both of those athletes, and that's why I posted what I posted. I couldn't really tell you anything else noteworthy that either of them did, other than just being generally good baseball players. Heck, as an O's fan I even rooted for Alomar for several years, and to this day his existence is just a blur to me other than the spitting incident.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Cubs gave away their minor league pitcher of the year Chris Archer, minor league player of the year Brandon Guyer, and part-time starting outfielder Sam Fuld to get Garza.

Source

The future is nowwhoops!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Cubs gave away their minor league pitcher of the year Chris Archer, minor league player of the year Brandon Guyer, and part-time starting outfielder Sam Fuld to get Garza.

Source

Not Fuld! At he end of 2009, he hit a double like every other time up. But then he ha a bad year last year, so it's OK. I really like this trade, Garza is a great pitcher; probably one of the most underrated in the game until he threw his no-no. So I really like this trade.

25yzwqg.png

Source

This trade shows just how shrewd the Rays front office is compared to the Royals. The Rays got more quality prospects for Garza (whoever said he was "great" needs to look at his numbers. He's above-average, a #2 at best) than the Royals got for Zack Greinke, a legit #1 Cy Young winner.

Source

This trade shows just how shrewd the Rays front office is compared to the Royals. The Rays got more quality prospects for Garza (whoever said he was "great" needs to look at his numbers. He's above-average, a #2 at best) than the Royals got for Zack Greinke, a legit #1 Cy Young winner.

Okay, but he will probably be the #3 in Chicago, so that works with your analysis. And like admiral said, cubs prospects=garbage. Who can forget the long, storied careers of Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, Angel Guzman, Hee Seop Choi? I can't believe we gave away another 5 Hee Seop Chois!!!

Also, he threw a no-hitter last year, thats at least somewhat impressive

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

No-hitters reinforce greatness. They don't establish greatness.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the Cubs are going to be be hideously mediocre, at least they're going to pay a lot of money to do so.

Jesus Christ, the ineptitude.

The trade might have been close to being acceptable (they'd still be being ripped off) if the Cubs were one piece away... but they're nowhere NEAR one piece away.

LO-MOTHER :censored:ING-L

The Rays, particularly under Brackman, have had a pretty great farm system and win, so they just might. There seems to be some reason why a successful, well-ran team wanted these players in particular. Almost like there's *gasp* talent there that could be exploited. It's not like dealing prospects has ever come back to bite a team in the ass before, though.

Meanwhile, the Cubs just have to "try" even if it means overpaying for an Aaron Harang clone who throws more innings, signing a first baseman rocking a fat :censored:ing .326 wOBA in 2010 at $10M for the year. GREAT OFFSEASON, CUBBIES. SRSLY. But hey, they were mediocre ass pieces of a playoff team, so I'm sure they're going to bring their veteran presence to the North Side! Forget actually doing something worthwhile in the long run, they got them some :censored:ing Matt Garza~!

Why do the Cubs make you so angry, bruschimania? This isn't the first time. They don't even make me this angry and I have to live with them every year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived