Sign in to follow this  
Jungle Jim

Louisville's Freedom Hall To Get University of Kentucky Court

This may not be a big deal to some, but for college basketball fans who have seen the red and black of the University of Louisville Cardinals on the court at Louisville's Freedom Hall for decades, it's going to look really strange to see it with the blue and white of Kentucky, along with a large UK logo at center court. This comes from a Web site called Kentucky Sports Radio...

A reader sends along the above picture, which was taken from the Convention Center next to Freedom Hall. It looks to be the new Freedom Hall Basketball Court?.fresh with Blue paint and a UK logo. According to the reader, this is now lying in the Convention Center and is scheduled to be the basketball court used for all games in Freedom Hall. Now I know that UL has moved out to the Fried Chicken Palace?but how crazy is it that the legendary Louisville basketball court is now BLUE with a UK logo??? I have no confirmation that this is true beyond the picture, but it looks legit to me..and if so?well all I can say is Wow.

freedomhall.jpg

Kentucky is playing Notre Dame at Freedom Hall in December, I am guessing this floor, or at least this paint scheme will be on just for that game versus the Irish.

Huh. When I lived in Louisville from 2004 to 2006, the U of L downtown arena was a huge controversy. I'm amazed that it's finally complete.

Nice work, Louisville.

They paly a game in Louisville every year and plan to play as many as four games at Freedom Hall starting in 2011.

Wow that is wrong, its almost like they are trying to piss of Louisville.

It is not wrong as they have played a game in Louisville every year since 1958. Most of those games were against the team they will play in December, Notre Dame. Even last year, they have scheduled practices there which were open to the public.

Freedom Hall is owned and operated by the Commonwealth (State) of Kentucky, not the university or city of Louisville. In fact, both Freedom Hall and the KFC Yum! Center are operated by the same agency, the Kentucky State Fair Board so they are responsible for booking both. Rent at the new facility is $70,000 for a basketball game.event; it is $12,000 for Freedom Hall. If the school can afford to resurface a floor and pay to store it there, then more power to them.

they will not be using that floor this year when they play notre dame as it is a part of the big east/sec challenge thing. the games are to be played in the region of the conferences. not its home floor. so if they actually are using this floor while calling it a big east/sec challenge game it would be as though its a uk home game. when its not. the kfec i believe has a floor not uofl related and they should be using that.

and by the way as uofl fan, yes it makes me mad especially after the years and years they (kentucky and kentucky fan) have berated and belittled freedom hall. and in the last decade they have not come even close to selling out the hall without indiana's help. that's right: even with last year's nba farm team they didn't sell out the game.

they will not be using that floor this year when they play notre dame as it is a part of the big east/sec challenge thing. the games are to be played in the region of the conferences. not its home floor. so if they actually are using this floor while calling it a big east/sec challenge game it would be as though its a uk home game. when its not. the kfec i believe has a floor not uofl related and they should be using that.

and by the way as uofl fan, yes it makes me mad especially after the years and years they (kentucky and kentucky fan) have berated and belittled freedom hall. and in the last decade they have not come even close to selling out the hall without indiana's help. that's right: even with last year's nba farm team they didn't sell out the game.

I think they would've sold it out if they'd scheduled better opponents.

As for the floor, I've heard from a couple of sources that the UK floor will be the "default" floor for the arena, but I can't confirm that. But you're right, if the Big East - SEC Challenge is supposed to be neutral, they shouldn't use that court.

Last year was the first time we did not sell out Freedom Hall. But I guarantee it is sold out this year.

Kentucky has been playing non-UofL teams in Louisville since 1915.

They first played Notre Dame in Louisville in 1929.

I am not familiar with Louisville and did not realize they were leaving freedom hall. Did they move from campus to off campus? If so, I'd be upset about that if it was my team, not the floor issue.

I am not familiar with Louisville and did not realize they were leaving freedom hall. Did they move from campus to off campus? If so, I'd be upset about that if it was my team, not the floor issue.

Freedom Hall is not located on the campus of the University of Louisville. It as well as Papa John's Cardinal Stadium are located on the grounds of the Kentucky Exposition Center which is property of the state. As I stated before, they have played a least one game there every year since 1957.

pjcs is not at the kfec. CARDINAL STADIUM is a multipurpose facility that holds about 35,000 and located at the fairgrounds. PAPA JOHN'S CARDINAL STADIUM is a football stadium that holds 55,000 and is located on campus. cardinal stadium is property of the state. pjcs is the property of the university of louisville. this year we are moving downtown to the kfc yum! center (yes, the yum has an exclamation point attached to it). its 22,000 seats and it is a high level nba arena just for uofl mens and womens basketball. don't expect the nba here anytime soon- uofl gets top priority for dates. also, don't expect uk to play any home games there either. as stated in the contract with the arena, any other team that plays there must leave visible all louisville signage and banners. the seats are all red. the suite seats have the cardinal head embroidered in the seats. don't think that will play with the uk crowd.

speaking of uk games in louisville, uk may say they have sold out every game but last year's (very hard to believe since they fielded an nba level team), but somewhere around 12,000 people show up unless the opponent is not indiana. don't give me that uk should play a better opponent line. practice used to have 12,000 at freedom hall.

taking off the cardinal colored glasses here, if they have as many fans as they say they do in the metro louisville area and they don't want to drive an hour and a half to go to a game that is probably 98% attended they would fill up freedom hall regardless of opponent just like they do in lexington.

rupp was full during the gillespie era.

freedom hall was full during the end of denny crum's era. and those were some bad times.

if uk can't fill up freedom hall then uk's fanbase isn't what they say it is here and they should stop wasting time 60-65% filling up an 18,500 seat arena. i hear "uk should schedule better opponents", i think "uk needs help selling tickets to fill up an arena". uab was one of the best teams you played here a few years ago, and you didn't even get 70% capacity.