Tampa Bay Lightning Logo Idea

torsten

It's okay, but not as good as a version I saw on bazeiskpbl.com . That dude's a beast... Trust me!

If you want to contribute to the community, that's fine... but it's really :censored:ing low-rent to come and clown on someone else's concept to build you up.

*takes off backseat moderator hat*

As far as the concept goes... there are definitely things I really like about it, but something just feels... off, and it's all in the Zeus. I don't know if he's just too dark, if it's the Laurel leaves that could use some work, but it doesn't seem to come together compared to the stick which is at the point where it looks great.

Bruschimania, let me start by saying I can respect you going to bat for other artists, but are censored comments necessary to try to get your point across? My methods of getting acquainted with this community may be a little on the guerilla side of things, but honestly speaking, nobody would be listening if I said the same thing on this thread that everyone else was. Besides, I don't remember me ever saying it was a bad logo, I'm just speaking my opinion... Besides, I don't have to build myself up, I do have a lot of experience in this industry and am more than willing to help a young or less experienced designer.... Not sayin' I'm the man, but I'm not a slouch either. What you don't know about me is I can very easily state when someone has knocked a logo out of the park as well. I give credit where credit is due.

I will say this though, I've seen a lot of people get trashed for concepts that might be closer to the mark than this one, so shameless plug, yeah, especially coming from the same guy that got ripped for the "Buffaslug" years ago, you remember that, right? Everyone does!!! I don't recall anyone showing mercy or coming to my defense on that, like "wow, maybe that was the graphic direction the artist received" or "hey, I see some areas that could use improvement". I do however, remember reading things like "Celcius Designs' version was way better"... and he himself even going as far as posting an online petition to replace my version, and reading other statements like "the artist deserved to get castrated!" so I felt like my comment paled in comparison to my own "Welcome to Sportslogos.net" moment.

In closing, I'd like to say that I plan on frequenting the forums more often, and I'm gonna call things like I see them... Seems like no one else has a problem doing that around here.

Yeeeeeeah.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

worse tampa bay lighting concept ever .

You should win the award for having the most tact.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You know, I like threads like this, where the original poster has an idea and he progresses along with the advice and changes given. The great thing is seeing the guy actually take the advice and applying it. I can't wait to see this logo when it's tweaked even further.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

The most recent version posted looks really, really good and is a huge improvement from the initial concept. For some reason I picture Zeus being a bit more broad-shouldered, though. This logo reminds me a little of The Dude... but that's me.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I think the execution could be even better, but I like the idea very much. I've been a long time hater of the Lightning logo because it's so boring. Could the logo maybe use another color in the highlights? Yellow, orange?

The stick could be the same color with the bolt, or have a tape pattern (see Sharks logo). Now it's more like a cane or a golf club.

seancarter, it's okay for me you think it's worse, but you could have give an explanation why...

i tried to change the color scheme, but it did not work well with yellow, orange or different colors.

only exception were light colors. a color that is close to a bolt is white or light blue.

i also completely changed the visual - it's more dynamic and modern I think. changed also the position of the arm, mouth, eyes/eyebrows.

it's been a long process, maybe is still not finished. thanks though for all advices.

tampabay5.png

Maybe try getting rid of everything past the stick on the right side? It may seem weird, but the idea of it I think could actually work better then having the awkward no-armed side of his chest.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Like I posted in the other thread, the Bolts are clearly meaning the weather not the god images.

This is not close to their identity at all.

Congrats, you know what lightning is. And I think the point of this concept is for torsten to show what he thinks the lightning's identity should be, not to keep it the same.

As for the concept, I really like it, it's way better than what the lightning currently use.

e5jlhh.jpg

Like I posted in the other thread, the Bolts are clearly meaning the weather not the god images.

This is not close to their identity at all.

Congrats, you know what lightning is. And I think the point of this concept is for torsten to show what he thinks the lightning's identity should be, not to keep it the same.

As for the concept, I really like it, it's way better than what the lightning currently use.

Congrats, you have no idea what branding is.

CreamSoda douching up Concepts again. Boy, THIS never gets old!

The fact of the matter is the Lightning are basically a blank canvas because they HAVE NO IDENTITY. THEY ARE THE DEFINITION OF BLAND.

Ideas like this are trying to insert some personality, something into the look beyond a clip art bolt and the state of Florida.

torsten, the last update looks the best so far, although part of it is still throwing me off... it might be the lack of a left arm. I think you're also at the point maybe where you could reintroduce royal blue, as the rest of the concept has enough contrast that I think it would look great.

CreamSoda douching up Concepts again. Boy, THIS never gets old!

The fact of the matter is the Lightning are basically a blank canvas because they HAVE NO IDENTITY. THEY ARE THE DEFINITION OF BLAND.

Oh yeah, I totalled ripped his artistic talents and just tore the concept apart...

No, I posted my opinion on uses Zeus as a logo for branding the Bolts. It has done before and I think it is a terrible fit for a team. Should Ares by a logo for every team that has warriors? How about the Chiefs as Apollo because he uses arrows too...

The stick looks too much like a field hockey stick. Take a look and understand what an ice hockey stick looks like and it will help your illustration. Zeus himself, evokes no emotion from me. He doesn't feel mean, he doesn't feel fierce, heck he looks like he's calling out all the girls to play field hockey. Remember who Zeus was/is, remember he is the head god in Greek mythology. He is the man. You have to make him feel larger than life, menacing. You have to give him a presence and right now he has none. Heck he looks more like Rob Zombie than he does a Greek God, let alone the God of Gods. Try different body angles and positions. Look at good artwork of people and notice the angles the artists are using. Yours right now is just too stiff and bland. A great resource to figure out how to get that feeling is to look at comic books/graphic novels. Look at how they treat drawing of people and objects to give a different feel and emotion. A great thing to do is to watch Lord of the Rings and how Peter Jackson shows the ring. It's never dead center in the center of the screen, if it is, then it's an angle shot from above or below. You can do that with a logo to give it presence to the viewer at home.

Archived