New Project

eddie010

Rog, I hate to say it, but neccessity is the mother of all evil. Sponsorships are neccessities, and you think money's the mother [and root] of all evil. Only FC Barcelona does not have uniform sponsorship from what I can glean.

I am well aware that sponsorship is necessary for teams to survive, I just don't want to see advertisements on uniforms. That is the part I hate most. It makes everybody that wears it look like either a corporate sellout or a big supporter of the company and it's products. Even the fans who rarely contribute money to their teams. It makes it seem as though the team's identity IS the company.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rog, I hate to say it, but neccessity is the mother of all evil. Sponsorships are neccessities, and you think money's the mother [and root] of all evil. Only FC Barcelona does not have uniform sponsorship from what I can glean.

I am well aware that sponsorship is necessary for teams to survive, I just don't want to see advertisements on uniforms. That is the part I hate most. It makes everybody that wears it look like either a corporate sellout or a big supporter of the company and it's products. Even the fans who rarely contribute money to their teams. It makes it seem as though the team's identity IS the company.

Sometimes that is the case, as some teams, such as Inter Milan (sponsored by Pirelli) and Manchester United (Vodafone) are usually recognized by the corporate logos on their strips, like it or not. Also, the teams really are supporters of the brands, because it's usually a locally-owned company as the team's sponsor, with, of course, a couple of exceptions.

Fortunately, like in many other sports, real fans look past the sponsors and think of what really matters. Teams like Celtic (green and white hoops), Juventus (black and white stripes), Real Madrid (all white) and Arsenal (red and white or even blue and yellow) are instantly recognized by their distinctive colours.

That's my rant. Hopefully you can understand my point of view.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

I'd go with Mellon as Pittsburgh's sponsor.

Well, mellon sold all its' consumer banking to Citizens' Bank a few years ago, and there have been reports that Mountaineer Gaming would build a new arena if that slot machine referendum goes through the Pennsylvania State Lesligature, along with a new racetrack outside Pittsburgh, but at the speed they go in Pennsylvania's Stae Capital, Harrisburg, it would take forever at this point. Another possible sponsor for me that iIdidn't put in my earlier post would be PPG Industries.

Possible Pittsburgh sponsors:

Heinz!!!

Iron City Beer (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)

USX

Alcoa

PNC Bank

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I am well aware that sponsorship is necessary for teams to survive, I just don't want to see advertisements on uniforms.  That is the part I hate most.  It makes everybody that wears it look like either a corporate sellout or a big supporter of the company and it's products.  Even the fans who rarely contribute money to their teams.  It makes it seem as though the team's identity IS the company.

What you don't realise is that when you see the sponsor on there week in, week out, the ad loses an awful lot of its "ad-ness" relative to the first time you see it. I look at Man U's playing strip these days, and don't think about mobile phones for so much as a second. It just becomes part of the design.

Similar thing with your thought that it makes the wearer look like a corporate sellout/big supporter. You say that because you are so used to seeing ad-less uniforms, and it stands out to you. But were you surrounded by these things on a regular basis (e.g. you lived in Europe somewhere), your perception of the ads would be markedly different.

I also agree with Eddie that lots of corporate sponsors have a local flavour. Many are mainly looking to improve their public goodwill and image rather than a more direct sales boost.

I think a real sponsor-becomes-the-team is in nascar.

In soccer, you just ignore it. Plus, the good thing it, it helps with semi pro and rec teams to get sponsors to pay for their gear, cause logos ont he front LOOKS professional already

"Possible Pittsburgh sponsors:

"Heinz!!!

"Iron City Beer (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)

"USX

"Alcoa

"PNC Bank"

Fat chance on PNC Bank, and Iron City (See the old Bud Ice penguin ads: "Doo-bee-doo-bee-dooooo..."). USX and Alcoa are not likely, either, but if Heinz, owned by Mrs. John Kerry, can convince the Pens to make red an alternate color...maybe.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"The Pens used to have IC ads on the ice, I believe."

* imitating The Fonz * "Correctamundo!"

"Possible Pittsburgh sponsors:

"Heinz!!!

"Iron City Beer (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)

"USX

"Alcoa

"PNC Bank"

Fat chance on PNC Bank, and Iron City (See the old Bud Ice penguin ads: "Doo-bee-doo-bee-dooooo..."). USX and Alcoa are not likely, either, but if Heinz, owned my Mrs. John Kerry, can convince the Pens to make red an alternate color...maybe.

Okay, why wouldn't they support the team? They're all Pittsburgh companies, for one. Two, notice the sponsorship deals on the stadiums. Heinz Field. PNC Park. Mellon Arena. Noticing a pattern here? Seems to me that if they'd put their name on a building, they'd probably throw in a few bucks to get their logo on a soccer shirt. (It'd almost be required for Heinz to sponsor the shirts if the side played at Heinz Field.)

Stay on your side of the state. :P

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Possible Pittsburgh sponsors:

Heinz!!!

Iron City Beer (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)

USX

Alcoa

PNC Bank

Alright I'm going with Heinz...Does anyone have a Heinz logo? The '...Brands...' website doesn't have any.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Alright I'm going with Heinz...Does anyone have a Heinz logo? The '...Brands...' website doesn't have any.

HEINZ5.gif

piratesSig.gif

While I like what eddie010 is doing with these jerseys, and it does give him an excuse to add another logo to a jersey, I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, seeing advertisements on jerseys, to me, looks wrong as it marks an identity of a sports team with a company that isn't the team.

champssig2.png

OK, Roger, just a friendly question: If you lived in, say, Edmonton, and they said that adds would be on the sweaters, but tickets would be $10 cheaper, what would you think?

BTW, fantastic idea. I'd have chosen Molson for Montréal, but whatever. GREAT WORK!

OK, Roger, just a friendly question: If you lived in, say, Edmonton, and they said that adds would be on the sweaters, but tickets would be $10 cheaper, what would you think?

Then I wouldn't support the team anymore. They wouldn't look presentable.

It's also one of the few reasons I don't watch the World Hockey Championships much.

I am aware that many North American sports teams are owned by companies (hell, my favorite team is owned by Disney!*) but at least they know better than to put advertisements for their companies rather than their team on the uniforms. Advertisements on uniforms are UGLY and if any North American league resorted to such desparate tactics, I would drop my support on the spot!

(* while many people would claim that the Mighty Ducks are a tool of Disney and were used primarily as a marketing gimmick, the only thing the Ducks have in common with the movies of the same name IS the name! The jerseys where created independently of the movie, but was then the choice of Disney to utilize them in a sequel, much as it is the choice of pop/rap artists to wear various jerseys in music videos. If people object to a team being names after a movie, I see nobody objecting to the St. Louis Blues being named after a song (that was also a movie).)

champssig2.png

Hypothetical: if advertising income from jerseys was the difference between a franchise remaining where it has developed good local support, and being sold to the other side of the country to justify the profit motives of a corporate owner, would it be justified?

For my .02, treating a team as a mere economic investment and allowing it to move around the country at the owner's wish is a far greater crime against the concept of sport than ads on jerseys.

I think leagues shoudl decide, as a whole. The MLB "ads when we are in Japan" thing is horrible. The soccer teams having ads doesn't bother me at all. I wish the team name was a little more distinguishable, though.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

And while you're waiting with baited breath for some new concepts, here's the 1990's expansionists with my sponsorship proposals:

• San Jose (1990) - HP.
  • Anaheim (1992) - Whatever Disney movie is out now in theatres. Maybe Disneyland?
  • Florida (1992) - Office Depot.
  • Tampa Bay (1993) - TECO Energy. Besides, isn't it embarassing to have an arena in Tampa named for a newspaper in St. Petersburg?
  • Nashville (1997) - Any record company doing buisness in Music City USA.
  • Atlanta (1998) - Coca-Cola (so we can balance out Pepsi sponsoring the Buffalo Sabres).
  • Minnesota Wild (1999) - 3M.
  • Columbus (1999) - Wendy's (in honor of the late Dave Thomas, who was a part-owner).

Archived