Anaheim Ducks Third Jersey

ThePreacher

I'm perfectly happy with this third jersey. I like the use of a logo on the front, like the emphasis on orange as a secondary colour, and I even like the pointless piping around the shoulders for some reason. It could have been so much worse.

And the shoulder logo is probably my favourite part of the whole thing. Not only because I'm one of five people who doesn't hate the duck mask for its LOL DIZNEE origins, but I'm also happy that they've finally got something that resembles, y'know, a duck in their logo set.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always said the "D" makes a fine shoulder patch, it just doesn't cut it as a crest.

ORRRRRRR, it immediately becomes one of the best crest logos in the league.

Great job, Anaheim.

I don't know about that. It is certainly better than putting the wordmark on the chest, but every time I look at the D it looks less and less like a duck's foot. With the slant and especially the sharp angles of the trident inside, it looks more like something Batman would throw at you than a duck's foot.

Im so glad we started a seperate thread for an issue already exhausted over a week ago <_<

Too garish with all that orange side paneling. I kind of like the soulless minimalism of the Ducks' home and road. They wear black, white, and beige. There's something vaguely proprietary about the lettering and numbering, but certainly nothing specific to Anaheim or ducks. They say "Ducks" on the front because that is what the hockey organization does its business as, but it could say anything and the team could play anywhere; none of this is particularly important. That's pretty much all the Ducks are to me and presumably many others. They're a team that happens to exist. They don't really have a history worth honoring because they named themselves after a children's movie, nor a place worth embracing because there's no there there. Their uniforms do an exemplary job conveying this.

I feel the same way about the Marlins being appropriately devoid of character, by the way.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The worst part is those dull as paint Home jerseys will forever be associated with their only Stanley Cup.

As for the new Alternate, I think it injects some MUCH needed character in the Duck's already stale identity.

I've always said the "D" makes a fine shoulder patch, it just doesn't cut it as a crest.

ORRRRRRR, it immediately becomes one of the best crest logos in the league.

Great job, Anaheim.

I don't know about that. It is certainly better than putting the wordmark on the chest, but every time I look at the D it looks less and less like a duck's foot. With the slant and especially the sharp angles of the trident inside, it looks more like something Batman would throw at you than a duck's foot.

Nicely put.

Too garish with all that orange side paneling. I kind of like the soulless minimalism of the Ducks' home and road. They wear black, white, and beige. There's something vaguely proprietary about the lettering and numbering, but certainly nothing specific to Anaheim or ducks. They say "Ducks" on the front because that is what the hockey organization does its business as, but it could say anything and the team could play anywhere; none of this is particularly important. That's pretty much all the Ducks are to me and presumably many others. They're a team that happens to exist. They don't really have a history worth honoring because they named themselves after a children's movie, nor a place worth embracing because there's no there there. Their uniforms do an exemplary job conveying this.

I feel the same way about the Marlins being appropriately devoid of character, by the way.

I love this post

Teemu Selanne's presence alone gives the team a history worth honoring.

Not to mention a sweep of Detroit, of all teams, and a trip to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003.

And having one of a very few players to win the Conn Smythe trophy on a losing team in that 2003 run with JS Giguere. Also in 2003, tying the 1993 Canadiens record for either one-goal wins and/or OT wins in a playoff (could be both, I can't exactly remember).

And the Stanley Cup in 2007, which was started by the best regular season start in NHL history without a regulation loss.

There's plenty of history. In the bad years, we've always had Teemu, and in the recent good years from 2003 onwards, we've had plenty of success and historic moments.

Not to mention a sweep of Detroit, of all teams, and a trip to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003.

And having one of a very few players to win the Conn Smythe trophy on a losing team in that 2003 run with JS Giguere. Also in 2003, tying the 1993 Canadiens record for either one-goal wins and/or OT wins in a playoff (could be both, I can't exactly remember).

And the Stanley Cup in 2007, which was started by the best regular season start in NHL history without a regulation loss.

There's plenty of history. In the bad years, we've always had Teemu, and in the recent good years from 2003 onwards, we've had plenty of success and historic moments.

I was going to post something similar to this, but you beat me to it. His post sounds like something written by either a fan of a team like the Maple Leafs, who have been largely irrelevant for the better part of 40 years, or he's someone from a State like North Dakota with no team to call their own, and thus no allegiance to any particular team or player. Someone who exists simply to hate for the sake of hating - particularly on topics that seem to be in vogue to hate on - like the fact that, more than a half-decade ago, the Ducks were owned by Disney.

Yawn.

J.S. Giguere. Scott Neidermayer. Chris Pronger. Teemu Selanne. Ryan Getzlaf. Corey Perry. Bobby Ryan. Paul Kariya, et al.

Two Stanley Cup appearances, multiple playoff records both as a team and by individual players (see: Giguere; Bryzgalov), as well as a Stanley Cup Championship, two Conn Smythe trophies and a half-dozen memorable, if not "epic" playoff battles over the last decade - most notably against Detroit.

If you want to bash an NHL franchise with no purpose, history or point of existing - the folks in Columbus, Phoenix, San Jose and Atlanta are would love to speak with you.

San Jose has a point of existing. Yes, the playoff results aren't the best in the world, so what? Our first postseason came on the heels of the worst season in NHL history and even then that 1993-94 team that shocked Detroit started the season 0-8-1. I am a part of a loyal, growing fanbase that loves this game. The building hasn't been below 88% capacity in the team's tenure. It's highly regarded as one of the loudest rinks in the NHL. Merchandise sales through the roof. In fact, the Sharks original jerseys were the top selling jersey for a number of years. You can't walk down San Jose these days without something Sharks related on someone, or at a restaurant or anywhere.

That being said, this thread is in regards to the jersey, and while I defended my team, this shall not be another thread about who should / deserve to exist in the NHL or any other league. Let's not start a fight with members who have different team preferences.

Back on topic here. Anaheim's thirds are fine, with the orange as homage to Orange County. I like the touch of the Mighty Duck returning. The Nike alternates are always my favorite though.

I don't know about that one. When the league switched to Edge, the Ducks' sweaters looked so compromised and messed up that there's no way they could've been designed with the Edge cut in mind. The weird collars and and oddly terminating hem stripes made the Edge versions look really forced.

The Sharks are A-OK with me.

The Nike alts were the best look they had, at least best template. There is simply nothing redeeming about the Mighty Duck logo - it should be buried forever, as it's an embarrassment to the league.

The web-D makes a nice crest, but I wouldn't mind seeing it be less... "motiony". Make it a little more 2D, and less italicy and it might work better IMO. It's not too bad as-is though.

I like the design of the jersey, though I have to agree with nearly every sane-minded poster here that it would look a million times better if the base wasn't black. A nice dark green, even a jade would work much better here.

I was going to post something similar to this, but you beat me to it. His post sounds like something written by either a fan of a team like the Maple Leafs, who have been largely irrelevant for the better part of 40 years, or he's someone from a State like North Dakota with no team to call their own, and thus no allegiance to any particular team or player. Someone who exists simply to hate for the sake of hating - particularly on topics that seem to be in vogue to hate on - like the fact that, more than a half-decade ago, the Ducks were owned by Disney.

Yawn.

J.S. Giguere. Scott Neidermayer. Chris Pronger. Teemu Selanne. Ryan Getzlaf. Corey Perry. Bobby Ryan. Paul Kariya, et al.

Two Stanley Cup appearances, multiple playoff records both as a team and by individual players (see: Giguere; Bryzgalov), as well as a Stanley Cup Championship, two Conn Smythe trophies and a half-dozen memorable, if not "epic" playoff battles over the last decade - most notably against Detroit.

I'm sorry, but all of this is kind of tainted when you consider that they were named after a kids movie. I love hockey, and I love Transformers, but the moment Hasbro buys a team and names them the Autobots is the moment I give up on the NHL.

The Ducks did a good job at first distancing themselves from their Disney years when they changed their look up, but this, simply by virtue of the shoulder patch, is a step in the wrong direction.

Say what you will about the Leafs, but they still have 13 Cups and a fair amount of history themselves. If you want to get into a "who's team has the most notable past" pissing contest that is. Also, they weren't named after a kids movie.

If you want to bash an NHL franchise with no purpose, history or point of existing - the folks in Columbus, Phoenix, San Jose and Atlanta are would love to speak with you.

See, here's the difference. For all the crap the Coyotes oh-so-rightfully get, and least they don't owe their existence to a Disney film.

The Nike alts were the best look they had, at least best template. There is simply nothing redeeming about the Mighty Duck logo - it should be buried forever, as it's an embarrassment to the league.

Thank you!

I like the design of the jersey, though I have to agree with nearly every sane-minded poster here that it would look a million times better if the base wasn't black. A nice dark green, even a jade would work much better here.

Orange might be the way to go, actually. The only other orange sweaters are in Philly, and the Flyers use a lighter, more distinct shade.

San Jose has a point of existing.

I also happen to agree with this notion, despite being a Ducks fan (since I live across the pond, the rivalry is a bit irrelevant to me personally anyway. Though that's more to do with the Sharks being a "second favourite" team of mine).

The Nike alts were the best look they had

No.

The Ducks did a good job at first distancing themselves from their Disney years when they changed their look up, but this, simply by virtue of the shoulder patch, is a step in the wrong direction.

It's just a case of a team bringing back its original logo. Lots of other teams do it, I don't see how it should be any different for the Ducks just because it was a Disney creation.

But that's just me. Only because I happen to be quite fond of this logo - as if you couldn't tell :P

Like BBTV said, it's just embarrassing. It's a Disney creation that promotes one of their franchises. It would be no different if Hasbro bought a NHL team, named them Autobots, and stuck this on the sweaters. It's crass and unbecoming for a team in the elite league of professional hockey.

The current Ducks stuff isn't mind-blowing, but it works. Plus, unlike the Mighty Ducks stuff, the current stuff is associated with a Stanley Cup.

San Jose has a point of existing.

Any NHL team that can outdraw CHL junior teams had a point to its existence. Sorry Phoenix.

Like BBTV said, it's just embarrassing. It's a Disney creation that promotes one of their franchises.

Oh well.

The current Ducks stuff isn't mind-blowing, but it works. Plus, unlike the Mighty Ducks stuff, the current stuff is associated with a Stanley Cup.

Boring wordmarks are boring.

Okay, I'll admit it's grown on me, but I've still got a bitter taste in my mouth from when it was first unveiled. Something that, I feel, was perfectly good was replaced by something inferior in comparison. Think Optimus Prime being killed off and replaced with Rodimus Prime.

Archived