Anaheim Ducks Third Jersey

ThePreacher

Like BBTV said, it's just embarrassing. It's a Disney creation that promotes one of their franchises.

Oh well.

I just don't think something like that is fitting for a team in the National Hockey League. It was only step above them putting Mickey Mouse on the sweaters.

The current Ducks stuff isn't mind-blowing, but it works. Plus, unlike the Mighty Ducks stuff, the current stuff is associated with a Stanley Cup.

Boring wordmarks are boring.

Okay, I'll admit it's grown on me, but I've still got a bitter taste in my mouth from when it was first unveiled. Something that, I feel, was perfectly good was replaced by something inferior in comparison. Think Optimus Prime being killed off and replaced with Rodimus Prime.

The difference being that Rodimus Prime is associated with the worst years of the Transformers franchise. The new Ducks look is associated with a Stanley Cup championship.

Now is is a wordmark logo? Yes it is. It's not that different from the logos used by the Capitals or Stars though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like BBTV said, it's just embarrassing. It's a Disney creation that promotes one of their franchises. It would be no different if Hasbro bought a NHL team, named them Autobots, and stuck this on the sweaters. It's crass and unbecoming for a team in the elite league of professional hockey.

That's why us Ducks fans love it. Someone had the audacity to do it. And bringing back our old Mighty Ducks emblems is a step in the right direction. The new identity has grown on me over the years, but I still can't get used to it. I'm still in love with the old identity and I wish we brought it back. If anything, that old logo has given us more of an identity over the years than the boring stuff we have now. I never had an issue with color change, though I would have rather seen the jade stay. However, completely altering their identity took everything I enjoyed about the team for years and erased it. Sure, a Stanley Cup championship was sweet. But, it would have meant more with this on our banner:

anaheim-mighty-ducks.gif

Plus the thing with the Mighty Ducks logo, that logo was created before it ever showed up in the movies.

It's not like they used the Division 5 green, yellow, blue, and red ones. They created the original logo. So what if they were the "Mighty Ducks"? No one that I know of ever referred to them in full name most of the time.

Looking back on it, would I have liked Disney not put the actual Ducks jerseys in D2? Yeah of course. I don't know why they wore those jerseys in the movie anyways. It had no meaning to those kids. They should have used the jerseys from the original movie to make sense. Disney only put those in the movie to try and force an actual connection between the Ducks and the movies to try and sell more jerseys. Because I don't think Hans designed the logo for them <_<

Then of course Disney put Paul Kariya in D3, and they thankfully got their request to make the players last names on the jerseys "Mighty Kariya" or "Mighty Selanne" or "Mighty Hebert" shot down by the NHL. THAT would have been way more embarrassing.

The Mighty Ducks logo is a good solid crest. I mean I look back at it will nostalgia and pride because that was my team. Unfortunately the rest of the league feels offended that it ever took the ice. Their original jerseys were extremely solid as hockey sweaters too.

I mean, I might be biased towards them, but I thought they were solid all around.

And No, those Nike alts with the extremely shiny arms/shoulders and the big-holed mesh armpits and the yellow piping were atrocious. I hated that jersey. And I wasn't a huge fan of the number font either.

It's not that different from the logos used by the Capitals or Stars though.

The Caps logo is a modernised version of their original brand - that and a Capital is not an object. So that gets a pass from me.

The Stars worked a Star into their logo - the large green star acting as the central point of focus. Again, worthy of a pass.

The Ducks have something that, uh, vaguely resembles a footprint anchoring a bunch of other similarly coloured letters. Or is it a rocket? Or is it one of Batman's weapons? Or the end of a spork? While most of us in the know know what it's supposed to be, fact is a lot of people cannot see the duck footprint.

Also, the team shares its name with an animal. Said animal is nowhere to be seen. They could have done so much better, or left everything except for the name as it was.

Looking back on it, would I have liked Disney not put the actual Ducks jerseys in D2? Yeah of course. I don't know why they wore those jerseys in the movie anyways. It had no meaning to those kids. They should have used the jerseys from the original movie to make sense. Disney only put those in the movie to try and force an actual connection between the Ducks and the movies to try and sell more jerseys. Because I don't think Hans designed the logo for them <_<

And this is just one of the reasons why I hate that movie. Though I have to admit, I never liked the movies that much to begin with. I only became a fan of the NHL team - and for that matter, a sports fan at all because of the TV series :P

The Mighty Ducks logo is a good solid crest. I mean I look back at it will nostalgia and pride because that was my team. Unfortunately the rest of the league feels offended that it ever took the ice. Their original jerseys were extremely solid as hockey sweaters too.

Thank you!

And No, those Nike alts with the extremely shiny arms/shoulders and the big-holed mesh armpits and the yellow piping were atrocious. I hated that jersey. And I wasn't a huge fan of the number font either.

Not to mention the pointless black pants that came with them.

mighty.jpg

This is a great looking jersey.

And that just happens to be my personal favourite, ever.

If you say so. I don't like the way the triangle on the crest is grey instead of jade, the diagonal stripes never looked good to me, and the shoulder patch is even more embarrassing than the primary.

The logo wouldn't pop as much if the Triangle was jade. Notice how the jade on the jersey is outlined with thick white and silver stripes? If the triangle was jade it would only be outlined by a thin white stripe and would bleed into the Eggplant. Look at the Numbers where the Jade and Eggplant meet and then look at them from further away. When you're far enough away, the Jade outline disappears so making the triangle silver was a good decision on the designers part. Also Diagonal stripes were the look of the 90's and the Ducks are a 90's team. They should celebrate that.

The Ducks could've updated their 90's-tastic uniforms without losing their colors or their logo. What they went with is in no way better and is less emblamatic of what actually is a duck. The new colors are blah, the wordmark is blah, and I just can't read the D as a webbed foot. It looks like something a superhero would throw at an evildoer's henchman as he ran away. The colors remind me of autumn and Southern California doesn't have an autumn in the sense that those colors invoke. I definitely agree that their current uniforms have an unbelieveably generic quality to them. That's an excellent way to describe their current set.

For where the Ducks are uniform-wise right now, I like the third jersey because it brings more orange into the fold and it brings back wildwing, who I loved and who I thought we'd never see again.

Plus the thing with the Mighty Ducks logo, that logo was created before it ever showed up in the movies.

It's not like they used the Division 5 green, yellow, blue, and red ones. They created the original logo. So what if they were the "Mighty Ducks"? No one that I know of ever referred to them in full name most of the time.

This is really a trivial point for me. The Ducks owe their existence to a Disney movie. D2 came out in 1994, the team was founded in 1993. It's not as if the Mighty Ducks crest was created independently from the film franchise. They were created in tandem. The original logo was just as much about giving the film series (which, again, the Ducks owe their existence to) an iconic Mickey Mouse-esque logo as it was about giving the actual team an identity.

The fact that you can't see why they wore those uniforms in D2 is, I think, part of the miscommunication here. They wore those sweaters specifically as part of the advertisement of the team. It was simply Disney creating a little brand synergy with one of their franchises. That's all it was. Just using a hockey team to promote a kids movie, and a kids movie to promote a hockey team. The fact that the hockey team was named after and dressed like the team in the kids movie made it all the worse.

Then of course Disney put Paul Kariya in D3, and they thankfully got their request to make the players last names on the jerseys "Mighty Kariya" or "Mighty Selanne" or "Mighty Hebert" shot down by the NHL. THAT would have been way more embarrassing.

See, I see the whole "Mighty Kariya" nonsense as the logical conclusion to dressing your PROFESSIONAL NHL TEAM like a children's movie. They might as well have gone ahead and done it. If you're going to deprive these athletes of dignity you might as well go all the way with it.

I don't think it's good. It's cartoony, childish. It looks like something a minor league team would wear. It's made worse when you realize it goes beyond that and actually serves as an advertisement to the parent company's kids film series.

I mean, I might be biased towards them, but I thought they were solid all around.

I would say that's the rose-coloured nostalgia glasses more then anything.

Like BBTV said, it's just embarrassing. It's a Disney creation that promotes one of their franchises. It would be no different if Hasbro bought a NHL team, named them Autobots, and stuck this on the sweaters. It's crass and unbecoming for a team in the elite league of professional hockey.

That's why us Ducks fans love it. Someone had the audacity to do it. And bringing back our old Mighty Ducks emblems is a step in the right direction. The new identity has grown on me over the years, but I still can't get used to it. I'm still in love with the old identity and I wish we brought it back. If anything, that old logo has given us more of an identity over the years than the boring stuff we have now. I never had an issue with color change, though I would have rather seen the jade stay. However, completely altering their identity took everything I enjoyed about the team for years and erased it.

Someone had the audacity to dress their team up like clowns? The original Mighty Ducks identity was a lame 90s look on top of an embarrassing corporate logo to shill sub-par kids movies. There are so many things wrong with it, that it is, to me, mind boggling. Corporate? Yes. Cartoony? Yes. Standard 90s colour scheme and angry animal graphic? Yes. Advertisement for a series of kids movies? Yes, and I'm shocked this even had to be brought up.

As for the bold portion, I want to say I mean no offence. I think it's part of the problem. Look, kids like stupid things. They like bright colours, weird animals, and "cool" mascots. When you're a kid you don't know what it means to look like a NHL team. You just know you like the purple and the jade and the cool duck hockey mask logo. As you grow up nostalgia kicks in, team loyalty becomes a factor, and suddenly you're jumping through hoops to justify a dated, cartoony add for a kids movie series as a good logo for an actual sports team.

Sure, a Stanley Cup championship was sweet. But, it would have meant more with this on our banner:

*original Mighty Ducks logo*

The Stanley Cup has spanned three centuries. It was introduced by the Governor-General of Canada in 1893 to be awarded to the top hockey club of the year. It's a trophy with a pedigree to rival any other championship trophy in sports the world over. It has an almost sacred aura to it among hockey players everywhere. Millions of fans not in "Mighty Ducks Nation" would not have been happy with "Mighty Ducks" being forever engraved on that trophy. Lord Stanley would have spinning in his grave. It would have been nothing short of a disgrace to engrave a name that only serves to promote a series of bad kids movies on the Stanly Cup. It's a minor miracle that they only a cup after getting a name and identity appropriate for a team in the NHL.

Really, I think Ducks fans are only fans in the world to lament a championship win because it didn't use their favourite version of the team logo. I hate the Ballard Leaf, but I won't let it dampen my spirits if the Leafs win a Cup wearing it.

The Stanley Cup has spanned three centuries. It was introduced by the Governor-General of Canada in 1893 to be awarded to the top hockey club of the year. It's a trophy with a pedigree to rival any other championship trophy in sports the world over. It has an almost sacred aura to it among hockey players everywhere. Millions of fans not in "Mighty Ducks Nation" would not have been happy with "Mighty Ducks" being forever engraved on that trophy. Lord Stanley would have spinning in his grave. It would have been nothing short of a disgrace to engrave a name that only serves to promote a series of bad kids movies on the Stanly Cup. It's a minor miracle that they only a cup after getting a name and identity appropriate for a team in the NHL.

Really, I think Ducks fans are only fans in the world to lament a championship win because it didn't use their favourite version of the team logo. I hate the Ballard Leaf, but I won't let it dampen my spirits if the Leafs win a Cup wearing it.

But, that's the whole point. It's grown on everyone of us fans who loved that team since inception. That "aura" that you mention, I understand that being a hockey fan. I grew up playing the game since I was around 4 and was not always a Ducks fan. I had previously been a Caps, 'Canes, and Pens fan between ages 4 and 12 and followed alot of them through their Cup matches in '98 and '02. Witnessing those teams lose and upon doing research years after, I began to understand the history behind the trophy and the honor it must be to have your now forever engraved on it.

I understand that some people may see it as a disgrace to the sport of hockey that this team was allowed to exist. But, I have a simple question. What if there was a team admitted into the NHL shortly after Slap Shot was released and the team was named the Chiefs, with the same colors, logos and uniforms? Would anyone have had an issue with that? It still would have been an advertisement for the studio company who produced the film and they would have gathered many fans of the movie to become fans of the team. The only difference between the Chiefs and the Ducks is that one was a kid's flick. At the end of the day, the team forms its own indentity through it's play on the ice and it doesn't matter what name they used.

I'll be honest, I got into the team because of the films. Not the colors, not the emblem, but the fact that I really felt like I was rooting for the underdogs. I omitted the fact it was a kid's movie because it didn't matter. The REAL team began forming their own identity into the league as years passed. Whether outside fans like it or not, this team made history under the Mighty Ducks banner. And yes, they've also made history under the Ducks banner. But, we can't forget where it all started. I guess you have to be a Ducks fan to understand it.

The mighty logo is one of the best in hockey, and people should stop being butthurt over the team being named after a movie.

With such a well thought out argument how can I refute it?

They weren't just named after a movie. They owe their existence to a movie. Any franchise beholden to Disney for their very existence deserves a little ridicule.

But, that's the whole point. It's grown on everyone of us fans who loved that team since inception. That "aura" that you mention, I understand that being a hockey fan. I grew up playing the game since I was around 4 and was not always a Ducks fan. I had previously been a Caps, 'Canes, and Pens fan between ages 4 and 12 and followed alot of them through their Cup matches in '98 and '02. Witnessing those teams lose and upon doing research years after, I began to understand the history behind the trophy and the honor it must be to have your now forever engraved on it.

I understand that some people may see it as a disgrace to the sport of hockey that this team was allowed to exist. But, I have a simple question. What if there was a team admitted into the NHL shortly after Slap Shot was released and the team was named the Chiefs, with the same colors, logos and uniforms? Would anyone have had an issue with that? It still would have been an advertisement for the studio company who produced the film and they would have gathered many fans of the movie to become fans of the team. The only difference between the Chiefs and the Ducks is that one was a kid's flick. At the end of the day, the team forms its own indentity through it's play on the ice and it doesn't matter what name they used.

Well first off, this is a reasonable response. Not like Cowboy McQuack over there. Anyhow...

As to the Chiefs, that didn't happen. We can speculate all we want, but it never happened. The Mighty Ducks happened. Hypothetically though? I wouldn't like it any more then the Mighty Ducks. The thing is, however, that there really was a team named after the Chiefs from Slap Shot. The Johnstown Chiefs of the AAHL/ECHL named themselves after the movie. Which is fine. It was a minor league team, where such "homages" belong. Not in the National Hockey League.

I'll be honest, I got into the team because of the films. Not the colors, not the emblem, but the fact that I really felt like I was rooting for the underdogs. I omitted the fact it was a kid's movie because it didn't matter. The REAL team began forming their own identity into the league as years passed. Whether outside fans like it or not, this team made history under the Mighty Ducks banner. And yes, they've also made history under the Ducks banner. But, we can't forget where it all started. I guess you have to be a Ducks fan to understand it.

The first film is alright. Nothing spectacular, standard 90s kids sports stuff. The second one was horrid, however. On so many levels. As a hockey fan and as someone who likewise has been playing since he was little it was just to much Hollywood bs to swallow. The third one was like the first one. Which I suppose was the point.

I donno, an actual team named the Mighty Ducks? It sounds like something kids would name their street hockey team the weekend after they all saw the movie. Or something a minor league team would use to draw in the young families on the weekend. Not something a team in the National Hockey league, a team that's in competition to win the Stanley Cup, would use. I guess you can't be a Ducks fan to understand :P

You're very passionate in your dislike about the Mighty Ducks logo and uniforms, aren't you?

I'm not a Ducks fan, but I still love that whole uniform. If they had been good enough to win the cup as the Mighty Ducks then I can't believe that it would've tarnished the cup. They would've earned the right to engrave their name and the cup wouldn't have lost any luster. We're talking about the same trophy that has been urinated in and forgotten in bars, right? Also, it's not like some teams with super cheesy nicknames haven't won the cup. Lightning, Avalanche, Hurricanes? I don't find "Mighty Ducks" to be any more insulting than those other teams.

You're very passionate in your dislike about the Mighty Ducks logo and uniforms, aren't you?

I think it's an embarrassment to the league. The whole look was.

I'm not a Ducks fan, but I still love that whole uniform. If they had been good enough to win the cup as the Mighty Ducks then I can't believe that it would've tarnished the cup. They would've earned the right to engrave their name and the cup wouldn't have lost any luster. We're talking about the same trophy that has been urinated in and forgotten in bars, right?

All of that's better then a team named after a Disney movie. These are grown men. Professional athletes. A trophy that was introduced over a hundred years ago and now as near sacred status among hockey players. Mighty Ducks? That's a disgrace. This is the NHL. There should be some standards when it comes to teams name themselves. "After a kids movie" should definitely be on the "NO" list.

Also, it's not like some teams with super cheesy nicknames haven't won the cup. Lightning, Avalanche, Hurricanes? I don't find "Mighty Ducks" to be any more insulting than those other teams.

There's a difference between a bad name and a childish-named after a kids movie-name.

Again I blame the nostalgia goggles. The movies came out when we were kids. They seemed cool at the time. So some people are now trying to rationalize the nostalgia and the very bad name.

Again I blame the nostalgia goggles. The movies came out when we were kids. They seemed cool at the time. So some people are now trying to rationalize the nostalgia and the very bad name.

I couldn't possibly just like the Mighty Ducks look on it's own merit, no, I have nostalgia goggles on. Give me a break, I like it, you don't, but it doesn't mean that I'm wrong just because I disagree with you.

Let me ask you this, why is "Ducks" by itself an acceptable engraving for the Stanley Cup, but "Mighty Ducks" isn't? They're still called the Ducks because of a kids movie. That history didn't disappear when they dropped the "Mighty".

And they may have been an embarrassment to you, but I know a lot of people who were introduced to the NHL via the movies and the Mighty Ducks. That whole cross-promotion did more good (a lot more) than harm.

This is generally the same reason that 50 and 60 year olds still go to Kiss concerts in full makeup, just replace any hockey references with music.

In a league that's developed quite the penchant for embarrassing itself over the past two decades, the visual identity of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim should be a blip on par with the California Golden Seals' white skates, the Washington Capitals' white shells, or Cooperalls. It's a quirky, experimental look from a decade replete with them. It's hardly an eternal stain on the league as a whole.

Now, those Tinkerbell goal celebrations from the first season, on the other hand... Yeah, still not on the league as a whole, just made the team look silly.

I couldn't possibly just like the Mighty Ducks look on it's own merit, no, I have nostalgia goggles on. Give me a break, I like it, you don't, but it doesn't mean that I'm wrong just because I disagree with you.

Goes both ways chief. You know why I'm so dead set against it? I just do not like it. I find it embarrassing to the NHL that a team would wear something that much of a corporate shill, that childish, that absurd. I just do not like it.

Now you're free to like or dislike whatever you want. I'm just trying to figure out why. I honestly think 90s nostalgia plays a huge part in it.

Let me ask you this, why is "Ducks" by itself an acceptable engraving for the Stanley Cup, but "Mighty Ducks" isn't? They're still called the Ducks because of a kids movie. That history didn't disappear when they dropped the "Mighty".

Why is "Mighty" bad? It's childish, it's something a team of seven year olds would tack onto their randomly assigned rec league team name. Prefixes to team names already run the risk of sounding minor league as it is. The fact that they tried to add the "Mighty" prefix to the player names on the backs of the sweater shows you how far down the rabbit hole this team was prepared to go.

As for just "Ducks," it's better for a few reasons. The first is losing the "Mighty" prefix which would instantly improve any name. The second is that the name of the movie series was the Mighty Ducks. By dropping the "Mighty" they are no longer named after the movie series. Thirdly, their new logos and uniforms look nothing like any of the uniforms worn in the Mighty Ducks movies. Thus further distancing themselves from the whole mess.

In a league that's developed quite the penchant for embarrassing itself over the past two decades, the visual identity of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim should be a blip on par with the California Golden Seals' white skates, the Washington Capitals' white shells, or Cooperalls. It's a quirky, experimental look from a decade replete with them. It's hardly an eternal stain on the league as a whole.

Not saying it's an eternal stain on the league. I'm saying that as an experiment I think it fell flat and would prefer it if they didn't go back to it.

As for the Cup, yeah I think a franchise named after a trio of average to bad movies would be a stain on the Cup's tradition had it been engraved on it.

Now, those Tinkerbell goal celebrations from the first season, on the other hand... Yeah, still not on the league as a whole, just made the team look silly.

I see that as the logical conclusion to the whole Disney look.

As a Ducks fan, this does not make me happy:

Ducks3rdfront2010.png

I can't believe this hasn't been posted already btw (the image is from icethetics - 10/19/10) - Anyway, thoughts? Criticism?

Well, coming from a long-time SABRES fan originally from Buffalo, I like it. Nice one Anaheim!

Except one thing ... get rid of that ridiculous front side at the top and put a slit in there and use laces ... much more prestigious IMO.

* The horizontal orange pin stripe needs to go too *

I'd switch to it as the main jersey and bring back the plum & teal colored one as the alternate. I always liked that one.

mighty.jpg

Archived