Anaheim Ducks Third Jersey

ThePreacher

The only issue I've ever had with the Mighty Ducks logo was the look of the sticks. I didn't mind the colours or the jerseys (well with the exception of the "Wild Wing" jerseys from the mid-90's)... but I do prefer the current colour scheme and I like the "proposed" third jersey.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is "Mighty" bad? It's childish, it's something a team of seven year olds would tack onto their randomly assigned rec league team name. Prefixes to team names already run the risk of sounding minor league as it is. The fact that they tried to add the "Mighty" prefix to the player names on the backs of the sweater shows you how far down the rabbit hole this team was prepared to go

mighty adj \ˈmī-tē\

might·i·ermight·i·est

Definition of MIGHTY

1: possessing might : powerful

2: accomplished or characterized by might <a mighty thrust>

3: great or imposing in size or extent : extraordinary

I don't see why "Mighty" is childish. But, that's my opinion. The name derived from the movie, but if you look beyond all that, it's actually an interesting name. For example, the WHA team that never played, the Miami Screaming Eagles. It adds emphasis. Now, you could argue why bother with emphasis shouldn't "Ducks" or "Eagle" be enough? Sure, it could. But, "Mighty" adds some flavor to the pot.

For the Chiefs reference, however, they used the name for the town's usage in the film. But, they didn't use the film's team identity. They made one themselves. Now, I have never had an issue on the "Mighty Ducks" name. However, one question that always boggled me was shouldn't the team be in Minneapolis/St. Paul? That's where they played in the film. I always secretly wished they were the Minnesota Mighty Ducks, as they were referred to in the movie a few times.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Why is "Mighty" bad? It's childish, it's something a team of seven year olds would tack onto their randomly assigned rec league team name. Prefixes to team names already run the risk of sounding minor league as it is. The fact that they tried to add the "Mighty" prefix to the player names on the backs of the sweater shows you how far down the rabbit hole this team was prepared to go

mighty adj \ˈmī-tē\

might·i·ermight·i·est

Definition of MIGHTY

1: possessing might : powerful

2: accomplished or characterized by might <a mighty thrust>

3: great or imposing in size or extent : extraordinary

I don't see why "Mighty" is childish. But, that's my opinion. The name derived from the movie, but if you look beyond all that, it's actually an interesting name. For example, the WHA team that never played, the Miami Screaming Eagles. It adds emphasis. Now, you could argue why bother with emphasis shouldn't "Ducks" or "Eagle" be enough? Sure, it could. But, "Mighty" adds some flavor to the pot.

"Super" is also a "positive" prefix, but Super Ducks would sound childish and stupid, wouldn't it? Same with "Mighty." It's just a prefix that reeks of immaturity and childishness. Now if the Anaheim Ducks want to have a minor league affiliate named the Mighty Ducks, go to town. The minors are where such names are acceptable.

Not only is Mighty Ducks unbecoming of a NHL team because it's immature and childish, but it's also named after a kids movie. I'm sorry, you can't just brush that aside like it's not a big deal. It's a very real part of my dislike for the name. You can point out other bad NHL names but at least most of them have some kind of relevance to their locations, and they weren't named after a kids movie.

For the Chiefs reference, however, they used the name for the town's usage in the film. But, they didn't use the film's team identity. They made one themselves.

I fail to see how this is at all relevant. The whole "Well what if a team was named after the team in Slap Shot?" question is irrelevant. We're not talking about Slap Shot, we're talking about the Mighty Ducks movies. And I've already said that I wouldn't like a NHL using the Chiefs name any more then the Mighty Ducks. Not only is it irrelevant, but as far as this discussion goes it's been dealt with.

Now, I have never had an issue on the "Mighty Ducks" name. However, one question that always boggled me was shouldn't the team be in Minneapolis/St. Paul? That's where they played in the film. I always secretly wished they were the Minnesota Mighty Ducks, as they were referred to in the movie a few times.

Maybe St. Paul/Minneapolis have to much respect for NHL hockey to tolerate their team being named after a sub-par children's movie series? I'm really not trying to come off as condescending here*, but I'm by far not the only person who disliked the Mighty Ducks' original identity. It was ridiculed all over. It was an experimental name, it had to be tried in an experimental location, and it just so happened that Disney's base of operations fit that bill.

*Which is part of the problem here, and why McCarthy got his panties in a bunch. I take it that you agree we're all allowed to like and dislike whatever we want. Well the purpose here is discussion, which means, in part, explaining our reasoning for why we like or dislike something. Well there's simply no way for me explain why I dislike the Mighty Ducks identity without it seeming insulting.

I dislike it because I think it's a stupid, immature, and childish name that deserves all the ridicule it gets because it's named after a kids movie: an embarrassment to the NHL, the elite pro hockey league in the world. That's as honest an answer I can give. Which is troublesome because by being honest with my reasoning I've insulted you and the rest of "Ducks Nation" in a round about way, haven't I? Now I'm not saying you're childish, immature, etc... but if I'm brutally honest about why I dislike the whole Mighty Ducks name, well it comes off as if I am.

So with that in mind I'm leaving this discussion. I've said my piece, you and others have said yours. You haven't changed my mind, and I haven't changed yours. So I'll just wall away until someone starts a "Post your least favourite logos" thread and I post the Mighty Ducks logo. At which point The Preacher will tell me I'm an idiot and show me what my personal list should have looked like, in his own opinion.

Which is part of the problem here, and why McCarthy got his panties in a bunch. I take it that you agree we're all allowed to like and dislike whatever we want. Well the purpose here is discussion, which means, in part, explaining our reasoning for why we like or dislike something. Well there's simply no way for me explain why I dislike the Mighty Ducks identity without it seeming insulting.

I dislike it because I think it's a stupid, immature, and childish name that deserves all the ridicule it gets because it's named after a kids movie: an embarrassment to the NHL, the elite pro hockey league in the world. That's as honest an answer I can give. Which is troublesome because by being honest with my reasoning I've insulted you and the rest of "Ducks Nation" in a round about way, haven't I? Now I'm not saying you're childish, immature, etc... but if I'm brutally honest about why I dislike the whole Mighty Ducks name, well it comes off as if I am.

So with that in mind I'm leaving this discussion. I've said my piece, you and others have said yours. You haven't changed my mind, and I haven't changed yours. So I'll just wall away until someone starts a "Post your least favourite logos" thread and I post the Mighty Ducks logo. At which point The Preacher will tell me I'm an idiot and show me what my personal list should have looked like, in his own opinion.

Yes, and I respect your opinion and no you haven't insulted me. I'm not arguing that and I'm sure you're aware of that. We just have differing opinions on what the boundaries on between when professionalism comes into play and when to have a bit of fun. If you don't like the Mighty Ducks for their logos, uniforms, history, whatever; dude, that's cool with me. I, on the otherhand, love it. Nostalgia was never a factor for me on my decision becoming a fan, I just loved the flicks and it kind of went from there. I guess you could say Disney provided us, the fans, that outlet of subliminal advertising through the team. But, I've never had an issue with that. I've just been one of those people who have looked beyond all of that Disney crap and looked at the team from a different perspective than others have, I'm sure.

But, I do have to agree on one thing, though, "Super Ducks" would be the worst name ever! I LOL'd big time on that one. But, super as opposed to mighty sounds more silly to me. I don't know, that's just my opinion. Now, they both sound dumb to you it seems because it comes off as minor league. Maybe it does, and as a matter of fact it was used for the Cincy Mighty Ducks of the AHL. I never understood that one by the way. Maybe I'm just so used to the team and it's "Hollywood connection". As much as I hate this saying, I guess we can agree to disagree.

I fail to see how this is at all relevant. The whole "Well what if a team was named after the team in Slap Shot?" question is irrelevant. We're not talking about Slap Shot, we're talking about the Mighty Ducks movies. And I've already said that I wouldn't like a NHL using the Chiefs name any more then the Mighty Ducks. Not only is it irrelevant, but as far as this discussion goes it's been dealt with.

As for this, there wasn't any relevance. You had added about the Chiefs history and I wanted to add on that.

Now I know this is a seperate sport, but something else I just thought of is that the Raptors of the NBA chose their name based upon popularity of the film, Jurassic Park at the time. Somewhat of a marketing gimmick as well if you think about it. Not that this has any relevance, either, just looking at other teams that have had similar connections to pop culture.

Maybe St. Paul/Minneapolis have to much respect for NHL hockey to tolerate their team being named after a sub-par children's movie series? I'm really not trying to come off as condescending here*, but I'm by far not the only person who disliked the Mighty Ducks' original identity. It was ridiculed all over. It was an experimental name, it had to be tried in an experimental location, and it just so happened that Disney's base of operations fit that bill.

My main scuff here was because Minneapolis/St. Paul seemed more fitting due to it's location in the movie, but ok.

As much as I hate this saying, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Works for me. Cheers!

Now I know this is a seperate sport, but something else I just thought of is that the Raptors of the NBA chose their name based upon popularity of the film, Jurassic Park at the time. Somewhat of a marketing gimmick as well if you think about it. Not that this has any relevance, either, just looking at other teams that have had similar connections to pop culture.

Well there are two major differences. The Raptors don't owe their existence to Jurassic Park, just their name, and the name itself was a reference to Jurassic Park, not a straight "named after a movie" situation. I'll give you the logo being childish though. Just switch to the dino footprint/basketball mark full time already.

My main scuff here was because Minneapolis/St. Paul seemed more fitting due to it's location in the movie, but ok.

I was just being indignant :P

The reasons why they weren't in Minnesota were probably because the North Stars had just left and the arena situation hadn't been solved yet, Disney is headquartered in Anaheim, and Anaheim allowed the NHL to maximize the potential in the LA market. The league just wasn't ready to go back to Minnesota so soon after the Stars heading south.

Well there are two major differences. The Raptors don't owe their existence to Jurassic Park, just their name, and the name itself was a reference to Jurassic Park, not a straight "named after a movie" situation. I'll give you the logo being childish though. Just switch to the dino footprint/basketball mark full time already.

As a fellow Raptor fan, I am more than happy to agree with this!

Wow.

I'm mad at myself for starting this thread. Where are the mods when you need them? Time to trash this topic.

I'm going to allow it.

I almost never put this, but...LOL.

The Ducks vs. Mighty Ducks argument is interesting. And on two levels:

1. The Name. I absolutely think the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" name was ridiculous and embarrassing. They were named after a movie, but it was a name that was hard to take seriously. It sounded cartoonish.

2. I am on the fence on the logo. The logo, in and of itself, is not bad. Sure, it highlights a type of goalie mask that had not been used in maybe a decade (and was not even legal, I'd guess), and it was a little goofy, but at the time (in my teens), I thought it was pretty clever. Then it shows up in D2...lending the two, as Ice Cap points out, to be connected. Had that never happened, I'd say, let the logo be used. But it did, which makes it tough. Ultimately, I am torn between being OK with it given how long ago the movie was and the fact that the team logo came first and saying "well, it does not really fit with the rest of the look." I guess I'd rather not see it because it does not match the rest of the look, but it's not nearly as bad as the name.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As I've read through this thread one thing stands out loud and clear. If it's not blue and white, doesn't have that 5,000 point leaf on it and it's west of Toronto, Ice Cap hates it. :hockeysmiley:

Not at all, but you keep on being you sparky.

Well, coming from a long-time SABRES fan originally from Buffalo, I like it. Nice one Anaheim!

Except one thing ... get rid of that ridiculous front side at the top and put a slit in there and use laces ... much more prestigious IMO.

This third jersey is too 'modern' looking for laces to be added. If they went for more of a 'vintage' look instead, like the old black and eggplant third, it'd fit in much better.

As I've read through this thread one thing stands out loud and clear. Ice Cap hates the Mighty Ducks logo with a burning, fiery passion. :hockeysmiley:

Fixed :P

But yeah, I'm happy to see the old logo back in some form. As for the old Mighty Ducks name, part of me still likes it for nostalgia, but the rest of me does not want the team to go back to using that name, ever. That being said, I kinda like the old name's - and to a more subtle extent, the current name's - tie in with Southern California's film industry, being named after a movie and all.

Even though said movie was filmed in Minnesota.

And even though said movie wasn't very good...

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived