NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

Cardinals wearing Black for the first time in a regular-season game this Sunday vs. Tampa Bay.

I know they've been sports a nu skewl uniform with panels and piping and what not for years now, but it still seems wrong for the oldest team in the NFL to wear a black alternate.

When I first turned this game on, it looked like the black jerseys had a red tint to them, but it must have been the lightning. It would have been a cool alternative to just black if the black did have a slight red tint to it, but why not just wear red then, I guess.

I agree though, a team with the name cardinals and a long history of wearing red, shouldn't wear a black alternate jersey. Same for the Cincy Reds, Stl. Cards, etc.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as the Cardinals should be wearing red as thier predominant color, those black unis with the black taper on the pants look rather sharp.

They aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I like the look. That said, is it just me or do they look like the Falcons with white helmets?

They look like the Falcons with white helmets when they wear their red jerseys.

7e4a4053ee8446a0a1f9d4c0ff66a6ef.jpg

This needs to be full time.

And if Reebok can manage to get the Rams sleeve horn that far down in the front, then they can fix the Colts stripes.

Holy hell, you're right. I was so busy being dumbfounded that they managed to fit the curled horn with numbers onto the "sleeve" that I didn't realize the inserts were, well, properly inserted. Good show all around.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Without further adieu here is this week's episode of "Make Dennis Bergan's head explode." With two teams wearing throwbacks, this week must have really irked our buddy Dennis Bergan.

Best looking games this week...

1. Packers - Jets: It's too bad that the actual game came nowhere near being as good as the uniforms looked. One of the best road looks in the NFL facing off against one of the best uniforms in the NFL. Perfection.

Packers_Jets_Football.sff_73875_game.jpgPackers_Jets_Football.sff_73988_game.jpg

2. Seahawks - Raiders: Ever notice that with all the "their look is outdated" etc. talk we hear about teams with "classic" uniforms, the Raiders are rarely mentioned in the conversation. There's a reason for that; they have perfect uniforms. Great match up of classic and modern.

Seahawks_Raiders_Football.sff_74123_game.jpgSeahawks_Raiders_Football.sff_74131_game.jpg

3. Redskins - Lions: The Lions "new" look has really grown on me. I still don't like the "font for font's sake" numbers but for an "update" it's not bad. Throw in the Redskins and it's this week's #3 best.

Redskins_Lions_Football.sff_74076_game.jpg

4. Panthers - Rams: While I don't think the Rams throwbacks are better than their current look, this was still a pretty good looking game. One team in throwbacks and the other in all white. This game probably beat me to the punch on making a certain someone's head explode.

Panthers_Rams_Football.sff_73901_game.jpg

This week's worst looking games...

Luckily for us, there weren't any real disasters this week. Every game had at least one good looking uniform.

Other notes:

Patriots throwbacks: The old Patriots helmet is about the only thing that is better than their current look. As much as I love throwbacks, that Patriots set just looks dated. I really think that a blue jersey with the old helmets and pants would look fantastic. Until then, other than the helmet, they just aren't that great.

Rams throwbacks: They're OK mostly due to the color scheme. Blue and yellow looks good. Still, if they really want to wear a killer throwback they need to go to these...

roman_gabriel.jpg

Cardinals black alts: Count me among those that aren't fans of "black for the sake of black." That said, if the Cardinals got rid of the totally unnecessary white "stripes" on the jersey, kept the red trim, and made the pants stripes straight with that color scheme, they would look really good. Yeah, I realize that the Cardinals are "supposed" to use red as a primary color but isn't the bird on the helmet more than enough of a representation of their name? I just think they really had a cool look today. Fix the nonsense and it could really work.

And that concludes this week's episode. Be sure to tune in again next week.

BB52Big.jpg

Patriots throwbacks: The old Patriots helmet is about the only thing that is better than their current look. As much as I love throwbacks, that Patriots set just looks dated. I really think that a blue jersey with the old helmets and pants would look fantastic. Until then, other than the helmet, they just aren't that great.

I thought about that same combination today...white helmet, blue jersey, white pants...and then I thought, good gawd, they'd look incredibly similar to the Colts. Not that the Colts look is bad, I just don't think the Pats would ever go for it.

I love the Pats 80s throwbacks, and admittedly it's due to 85% nostalgia and 15% aesthetic. You say they're dated, and I'm okay with that. A team from New England, with as much history as the region and city of Boston has, doesn't need to look ultra modern, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The 60s Patriots throwbacks look so much better with the red socks than the 80s with white socks. That little thing makes a big difference in how this whole uniform looks.

The 80s look is a mess. I too much prefer the 60s version, despite there only being subtle differences. Red socks, gray facemask, black shoes, no outline on the numbers, thinner pants stripes.

The ones yesterday were just all white from the waist down. I still say bring back the Bledsoe rookie unis...

Also, Pats have the best record in football, all is once again right in the world. It was nice, where I live we got to watch the Jets lose, the PAts win, and then the Squealers lose.

7e4a4053ee8446a0a1f9d4c0ff66a6ef.jpg

This needs to be full time.

And if Reebok can manage to get the Rams sleeve horn that far down in the front, then they can fix the Colts stripes.

Holy hell, you're right. I was so busy being dumbfounded that they managed to fit the curled horn with numbers onto the "sleeve" that I didn't realize the inserts were, well, properly inserted. Good show all around.

I've said for years that the jersey manufacturers could extend the Colts UCLA stripes all the way to the armpit if they really tried. There's absolutely no reason that they should stop where they do right now and they look even worse on those newer cut jerseys that Pierre Garcon and Addai wear. Sadly, I fear that they've been that way for too long and jersey manufacturers think that shoulder and sleeve stripes are supposed to be cut off before they reach their armpit destination.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know about you, but I thought the white facemasks were rather refreshing. I think I prefer the white facemasks to the gray ones.

I don't like gray just to be gray, but I like it better on the Pats throwback helmet, as it provides some contrast to the white.

Archived