NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

ne1.jpg

Red coat arguments aside, this pic shows us the primary reason why this look needs to stay relegated to once and a while throwback status. Pat the Patriot is downright horrible as a primary logo these days. There are classic logos and there are dated logos. Pat falls on the "dated" side of the dividing line. If the Patriots ever consider bringing him back in any capacity they need to give him a Cardinals-esque facelift.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ne1.jpg

Red coat arguments aside, this pic shows us the primary reason why this look needs to stay relegated to once and a while throwback status. Pat the Patriot is downright horrible as a primary logo these days. There are classic logos and there are dated logos. Pat falls on the "dated" side of the dividing line. If the Patriots ever consider bringing him back in any capacity they need to give him a Cardinals-esque facelift.

Agreed. I like the Pats' throwback look from the neck down (and I prefer the '85 look to the '60s one), but that helmet logo is such a dated scribble.

Someone on this board actually did update, streamline, and upgrade Pat Patriot, and then put their logo on an actual helmet. It looked pretty damn sharp.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

ne1.jpg

Agreed. I like the Pats' throwback look from the neck down (and I prefer the '85 look to the '60s one), but that helmet logo is such a dated scribble.

Someone on this board actually did update, streamline, and upgrade Pat Patriot, and then put their logo on an actual helmet. It looked pretty damn sharp.

Yeah, that looked pretty nice. I wouldn't be opposed to Pat making a comeback if he was updated similarly.

"Teams wear throwbacks too often. Those Ram throwbacks were ugly when Dick Vermeil coached, and they're still ugly."

Amen, Peter King.

You out-of-date folks clammoring for more throwembacks and how "kool" they are, are in the minority.

Most people out there feel like Peter King does.

Throwbacks are PLAYED OUT. That trend ended (or should have) years ago. Most look like dog crap and make us realize why they aren't worn anymore.

And Infrared, the Redskins road uniforms are horrible. Always have been and always will be.

"Teams wear throwbacks too often. Those Ram throwbacks were ugly when Dick Vermeil coached, and they're still ugly."

Amen, Peter King.

You out-of-date folks clammoring for more throwembacks and how "kool" they are, are in the minority.

According to who?? You and Peter King? :lol:

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

- I have to admit, I had my first "What the hell team is that?" moment in a long while when I saw highlights of the Bucs vs. Black Cardinals. Those are really unnecessary uniforms.

- Love the Pat the Patriot look, but it should stay a once-a-year thing. New England's current duds are a modern untouchable.

- That Rams look would be 10x better if the blues of the helmet and jersey matched.

Obviously throwback gear doesn't sell well... at all. That's why no NFL team does it.

No dummy, it's "throwemback".

He's right, Bergan There's a reason teams do the throwback thing. $. If the jerseys didn't sell then nobody would do it, but i think the fact that year in and year out we see more throwbacks is kinda counter to your argument that nobody likes them.

Also, when has anyone besides yourself ever described a throwback uniform as "kool"? Never, not even ironically. You're a broken record dude. At least come up with an intelligent counter argument instead of the same thing again and again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Amen, Peter King.

Things I Think I Think:

•I think dennisbergan is an idiot. Actually, scratch that - we all know he is.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Amen, Peter King.

Throwbacks are PLAYED OUT. That trend ended (or should have) years ago. Most look like dog crap and make us realize why they aren't worn anymore.

And Infrared, the Redskins road uniforms are horrible. Always have been and always will be.

Is there even one classic uniform that you like? Just curious.

BB52Big.jpg

I think the Rams would look pretty sweet in navy and athletic gold. Keep the current Millennium Blue, but use the yellow/gold from the throwbacks.

stl1.jpg

I actually said the same thing yesterday. If somehow they took the unis they have now, change back to athletic gold, and mix it up a tad with the throwbacks, I think the Rams would have a solid look.

Amen, Peter King.

Is there even one classic uniform that you like? Just curious.

I would guess no. Not only that, but if/when one of the current modern looks becomes "classic" he'll turn on that look to. Dennie here has no personal taste to speak of. He just automatically likes what's new and hates anything that's been around for, say, more then five years. He likes something as long as it's the "in" trend, but as soon as it's not, he dislikes it.

In other words, he's an imbecile.

Amen, Peter King.

Things I Think I Think:

?I think dennisbergan is an idiot. Actually, scratch that - we all know he is.

Well done. It would have been even better if you had left out the "scratch that" line. You gotta let the joke breathe. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I think part of it is an age thing. I'm 50, and I like the classic/throwback look better than today's styling (OK, Tampa Bay excepted). If you're 20, obviously you like the newer look better.

not necessarily. I'm 23 and I prefer the classics to most of the modern designs that have come about in the last ten years. Part of it is that the classics (with the exception of the awful Steelers uniforms) are time tested and have been proven to last across many generations of uniforms, while the more modern designs have a much shorter shelf life, become stale quicker, and in ten years will be open to ridicule. I call it the "90's NBA effect". How many of those uniforms looked "sweet" back then, but now are a joke amongst uniform observers? The same will be said about the Bengals, Bills, Jaguars, and Cardinals of the world.

I think we all just need to remind Dennis I. Bergan of the old saying "what's new isn't necessarily good and what's old isn't necessarily good. What's good is good no matter what time it came from" or something to that effect.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think part of it is an age thing. I'm 50, and I like the classic/throwback look better than today's styling (OK, Tampa Bay excepted). If you're 20, obviously you like the newer look better.

I'm 47, and I prefer more of the modern looks compared to most of these old and stale throwbacks.

In most cases, there were good reasons for abandoning a prior look...most, but not all (I will concede).

not necessarily. I'm 23 and I prefer the classics to most of the modern designs that have come about in the last ten years. Part of it is that the classics (with the exception of the awful Steelers uniforms) are time tested and have been proven to last across many generations of uniforms, while the more modern designs have a much shorter shelf life, become stale quicker, and in ten years will be open to ridicule. I call it the "90's NBA effect". How many of those uniforms looked "sweet" back then, but now are a joke amongst uniform observers? The same will be said about the Bengals, Bills, Jaguars, and Cardinals of the world.

I think we all just need to remind Dennis I. Bergan of the old saying "what's new isn't necessarily good and what's old isn't necessarily good. What's good is good no matter what time it came from" or something to that effect.

It's like my blue pinstriped suit analogy. That suit will always work because it's classy. Certain things may change like the cut of the lapels etc. but the basic idea remains because it always works. Classy never goes out of style. Some "modern" uniforms are the fashion equivalent of leisure suits or parachute pants. They were hot for a while but it didn't last. That's not to say they were bad ideas at the time (well the leisure suit was) but they were definitely flavor of the month designs.

When it's all said and done I don't think our age plays a role in uniform preferences so much as our fashion preferences do. Some people like to wear whatever is "in" at the time while others like to stick to what always works. I'm guessing that plays a role in our uniform preferences as well.

BB52Big.jpg

23 here. I tend to prefer classic looks. Though there are some modern sets that do things right (Houston, Carolina, Philly, St. Louis, Tennessee, Seattle sometimes).

Archived