Nationals to unveil "major changes" to their uniforms on Nov. 10.

AnythingChicago

I think the thing that irks me the most about it is why they felt the need for a 2nd hat. The straight red hat would've been perfect for the home jersey and not a Braves look alike hat.

I couldn't agree more! The blue cap reminds me of the mistake the Cardinals have been making for years, that being topping off a uniform that's predominately red numbers and lettering with a navy cap, when a red cap would be more consistent and look a lot better.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's very classic, which they were shooting for with the team all along, and really, only the White Sox, Tigers, and Yankees using the cap logo (or variation thereof) on the home jersey, so they'd be the only NL team with this arrangement.

The Yankees and Tigers home unis are considered classic because they have more or less worn the same exact thing for over 80 years (with the exception of the one year script Tigers jersey). If those were expansion teams, we could call for them to put a wordmark on the jersey instead of the city initial. We know they are the Yankees and Tigers because the logos are iconic. We know the White Sox are the White Sox because the logo actually says Sox. The W logo is neither iconic nor says the team's name. They are the Washington W's.

I am astonished at how they could have gotten this so wrong. The tiny piping right on the sleeve edge look bush league and the navy gets lost. They have two stripe placket piping on the home and alt jerseys but three stripe neck piping on the road jersey. I was going to remark that they would be the first team to not have a wordmark, but it looks like they actually created a pretty decent wordmark only to relegate it to t-shirt only status. Along with adding the unnecessary and copied navy hat with a red brim, they also kept the same awful number font which looks even more cumbersome and ridiculous without the bevels. The navy jersey shouldn't exist (or at least should have the Washington wordmark). The Red jersey would be 1000x better with the Nationals wordmark. The most important botch was puting the W on the home jersey. Put the Nationals script and it's eclectic but respectable. This is just replacing one pile of crap with another. The Nats found the only possible way to downgrade from their previous set.

MLB is keeping its 0-for Offseaon alive. The 2011 uniform fail continues. Hopefully some team can put out one decent change this offseason.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The 'before' circle logo was spot on. All they had to do was change the center color to white and make the DC red off set with gold. It would have been a perfect logo. The new W circle logo I think is a step back... not only from the circle DC, but the Washington half baseball logo as well.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well, here's my two cents.

I, for one, am thrilled that they got rid of the "DC" logo. For some reason, I always hated it. I don't like the curly "W" either (I'd much rather have the Pre-Twins Senators "W"), but it's better in my mind than the "DC", so I can't complain a whole lot.

I think I get the idea they were going with. As Swiss pointed out a few posts back, the Pre-Twins Senators usually wore a "W" on the chest rather than "Senators" at home (save 1958-1959, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong), and I think they were just trying to echo that in a way. Of course, not directly, as it is the wrong "W" and was usually used on pinstripes, but I think that's at least the idea. In that case, I like it. It's a bit bland, yes, but I like the idea nonetheless.

Lastly, I absolutely love the new primary. I've been hoping they'd switch to something like that, I think it's a much better logo than the previous one.

All in all, I'm not hyped about the new look, but I don't hate it either. It's really not that bad to me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The problem I have with the roundel is that by emcompassing a logo that can stand on it's own, you are taking a bit of power away from it. The shoulder patch is an opportunity to expand on the identity. Give us a bit more on the culture of Washington. Of what the Nationals stand for.

Instead we get, "Hey, here's that W again. And did we mention that we're the Nationals? Because we weren't sure you got that from just the W."

BTW- Since the Nats don't seem to shy away from looking like other teams, could we get a shoulder patch of a elephnat and a donkey shaking hands (hooves?) over the Potomac? One could have a jersey with W and the other with DC.

A good test for a good sports logo -- or any logo for that matter -- is, can you draw it from memory? If you can?t, it?s needlessly complicated but more important, it doesn?t create a connection."

From that article. I couldn't agree more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A good test for a good sports logo -- or any logo for that matter -- is, can you draw it from memory? If you can?t, it?s needlessly complicated but more important, it doesn?t create a connection."

I've always said that the test is whether a kid can draw it on his or her notebook in class, but that works as well.

I agree to an extent, but there are certain logos (like the Blackhawks) which nobody could draw from memory but are still iconic.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not yet.

The block Nationals will remain on the scoreboard, and [Nats COO] Feffer said it could still be used in merchandise and promotions. But the focus is squarely on Ws.

Wow. What a horrible, horrible organization. In the near future the Nats will be looked upon with such low regard as the Clippers, Browns and Florida Panthers as having completely incompetent ownership.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

BTW- Since the Nats don't seem to shy away from looking like other teams, could we get a shoulder patch of a elephnat and a donkey shaking hands (hooves?) over the Potomac? One could have a jersey with W and the other with DC.

Nats.png

Maybe they can borrow the "Sam calling his shot" logo from the New Hampshire Primaries Fisher Cats:

5167287398_f9504e6a30_o.gif

The Primaries were also going to sell two caps - one red, one blue, with corresponding animal logo:

newhampshireprimariesalcz6.jpg

I am astonished at how they could have gotten this so wrong. The tiny piping right on the sleeve edge look bush league and the navy gets lost. They have two stripe placket piping on the home and alt jerseys but three stripe neck piping on the road jersey. I was going to remark that they would be the first team to not have a wordmark, but it looks like they actually created a pretty decent wordmark only to relegate it to t-shirt only status. Along with adding the unnecessary and copied navy hat with a red brim, they also kept the same awful number font which looks even more cumbersome and ridiculous without the bevels. The navy jersey shouldn't exist (or at least should have the Washington wordmark). The Red jersey would be 1000x better with the Nationals wordmark. The most important botch was puting the W on the home jersey. Put the Nationals script and it's eclectic but respectable. This is just replacing one pile of crap with another. The Nats found the only possible way to downgrade from their previous set.

QFT. Use of the "Nationals" wordmark could have made this a good set, along with changing the number font. I can live with a "W" on the chest on an alt, but the "Nationals wordmark on the home primary would match the road primary and give the set some continuity. I am blown away that they did not use that word mark...because why even create it?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived