Nationals to unveil "major changes" to their uniforms on Nov. 10.

AnythingChicago

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the "Nationals" script isn't really being used, but since it's actually in the style sheet... could they at least match up the 's' or even the 'o' between the 2 scripts?

v2jxordr9a9ku4grq0dj3zy2o.gif

vt120lzkdeahqoy4p970hvhus.gif

I mean, this could be a good all around look, but there are just so many places that they dropped the ball are seemed to have put little effort into that just keeps bringing it down and making them look even more incompetent.

I'll echo the thoughts of many of you on two points --

1. The general blandness of the set.

2. The wasted opportunity to use that really nice "Nationals" script.

Beyond that, the other thing that really bothers me is that the double-wide placket piping seems to push the W logo way too far to the left side of the jersey. It almost gets tucked into the armpit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'll echo the thoughts of many of you on two points --

1. The general blandness of the set.

2. The wasted opportunity to use that really nice "Nationals" script.

Beyond that, the other thing that really bothers me is that the double-wide placket piping seems to push the W logo way too far to the left side of the jersey. It almost gets tucked into the armpit.

And is it just me or are the front numbers, aside from not being even with the logo, pretty frickin huge?

I think they should've gone 3 stripe piping (but normal width, not the extra thick this seems to be), but make the colors go red/white/blue. They'd be the only ones, and it'd go fine with a navy or red look.

The Arizona Diamond Backs (now called the D'Backs)went with their city or state initial for that matter and used it on their left chest on their home uniforms and that only worked for a few seasons. The Phillies did the same and it worked for them for over two decades. I still think the Nationals should have their team name written across the chest on at least their home uniform and change the sleeve trimming on their current road sets to match their home and two alternates.Only the Yankees and Tigers look good with their city initial on their home jerseys.

The Arizona Diamond Backs (now called the D'Backs)went with their city or state initial for that matter and used it on their left chest on their home uniforms and that only worked for a few seasons. The Phillies did the same and it worked for them for over two decades. I still think the Nationals should have their team name written across the chest on at least their home uniform and change the sleeve trimming on their current road sets to match their home and two alternates.Only the Yankees and Tigers look good with their city initial on their home jerseys.

I'd argue that the Dbacks pinstriped jerseys with the A on the chest was their best look.

It's all in the style of the letter, and the style of the piping (unless it's a pinstriped jersey.) Not all letter styles work well this way - the 80s Phillies P worked because it had no serifs tails, or anything hanging off of it - the actual letter filled every inch of available space for it. It was compact, and as a result was really bold and strong. The current Phillies P would absolutely suck on the chest, because of the tail on the top left of it - the actual letter would only take up half of the available horizontal space, and would look thin and weak. It's hard to judge Detroit and the Yankees, because we're so used to them it's hard to be objective.

I find the W on the chest here to be thin and weak. Not the letter in particular, but this particular style of it.

What would have been great IMO is if they followed the lead of the 80s Giants and Padres, and had the Nationals script on the home, and the interlocking DC on the chest of the road. That's about as simple and as classy of a road look as you can get, while having something a little... "more" at home.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The White Sox numbers look so much better, aligning with the bottom of the logo, but that might be because the Sox logo is so much more vertical than the Walgreens W:

Chicago+White+Sox+Photo+Day+-Hdfeh3O4qEl.jpg

The Rockies aligned theirs as well:

Colorado%20Rockies%20team.jpg

Which is why the W logo looks so awful on the breast. It doesn't fill the space properly - vertical logos work best, but even logos like the Reds' can look okay because they're horizontally proportional. The italicized "W" looks silly.

The thing I took from that is that the Nats will be using a red to blue MLB logo instead of blue to red. I don't like the look. Every other team does the darker color on the left, and there is a reason for that. This looks like a logo you would find on a Chinese knockoff.

That's the first thing that I noticed too. Every red and blue team has blue on the left side of the MLB logo. Even the Angels and Phillies who have harldy any blue on the logos/uniforms have the blue on the left side. It definately looks weird having red on the left of the logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I can't believe they removed the gold, which is the one thing that differentiated the Nationals from all the other Navy/Red teams. So sad.

I agree. I'd rather they have owned red/gold and eliminated the blue, similarly to how BBTV feels about the Rockies and purple.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I can't believe they removed the gold, which is the one thing that differentiated the Nationals from all the other Navy/Red teams. So sad.

I agree. I'd rather they have owned red/gold and eliminated the blue, similarly to how BBTV feels about the Rockies and purple.

I completely agree about the Rockies. If I were in charge, the Rockies would be purple with a hint of silver and black.

Everyone loves a roundel.

BTW- Since the Nats don't seem to shy away from looking like other teams, could we get a shoulder patch of a elephnat and a donkey shaking hands (hooves?) over the Potomac? One could have a jersey with W and the other with DC.

Nats.png

Maybe they can borrow the "Sam calling his shot" logo from the New Hampshire Primaries Fisher Cats:

5167287398_f9504e6a30_o.gif

The Primaries were also going to sell two caps - one red, one blue, with corresponding animal logo:

newhampshireprimariesalcz6.jpg

Ah yes, I remember those logos. I first saw the Uncle Sam logo in 2005 while playing MVP Baseball 2004 (for some reason it was shown as the Fisher Cats' logo), and ever since then it has been one of my top five favorite logos.

I wouldn't have minded if the Nationals ever tried something like what the Primaries tried to do, I think it'd be a really cool idea. Especially the donkey and elephant hats. On a side note, I can tell you right now, whereas I and nearly my entire family are registered Republicans, we probably would have bought out the whole set of elephant hats :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived