Nationals to unveil "major changes" to their uniforms on Nov. 10.

AnythingChicago

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I was really "meh" about this look when I first saw it, but the more nit-picks I read, the more it seems to suck.

Never realized in particular about how to line up front numbers on logo-not-word-on-the-front jerseys...but it's pretty precise, and comes across either looking clean and "right" or awkward and forced. Excellent use of visuals to show that.

Pretty much everything shows me that the Nats did a rush job on this, and have virtually no idea how to brand anything...which is pretty much what we expected.

They go cliche with the blue jersey. Only use one script jersey. They make a red jersey that looks like the Braves' BP top and their red alt had a love child, but with the pretzel W somehow involved (also, using lots of red makes me think Phillies, as well)...have a solid navy alt like the Braves' unofficial road shirt AND a matching plain-navy cap...and have a road cap that looks just like the main one of those rival Braves? Hmm.

So...use a patriotic color scheme and milk that for all it's worth? Check. Not decide on a primary color? Check. Find a way to make yourself look quite a bit like your most natural rival, AND call to mind at least one other division team too? Check, Check again, and....check just for emphasis on those two. Make awesome script logos that don't match? Check. Only use one, and even use it sparingly? Check. Wonky striping? Check. Phase out a unique logo and unique supporting color. Check x2. Brand yourself scriptless by pushing an awkward throwback logo with otherwise no ties to the Expos/Nats franchise other than deciding to bring it back when u moved the 'spos there? Yup. And finally...hang your hat on that logo, which looks so much like that of a drugstore chain it's not even comical, but just sad? Oh-yeah-che-kuh.

It's a lot of fail...but still, I can only give it a C. It's a middle of the road, "could be a lot worse," clean and dull set. Just with a lot of psuedo-minor flaws.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

So, I've given this a little bit more thought...

Fellow poster OMMF and I commented in the CHL Alternates thread that it makes sense for some junior hockey teams to wear throwbacks from teams of the past rather from their own franchise. For example, if the Portland Winterhawks wore Edmonton Oil Kings jerseys, it wouldn't mean as much to Portland fans as it would if they wore Portland Buckaroos jerseys. Different franchises and leagues, but the regional history resonates more with fans and means more potential merchandise sales.

Keeping that in mind:

What the Nationals could (should?) have done was keep the existing beveled typeface from the original home and road jerseys, use the DC logo on the cap in a home and road format, but use the pretzel W and Killebrew-era Senators unis (with that prototype Nationals script) as a throwback/retro/tribute set for Fridays or whatever. That way, the Nats and MLB could draw from a broader selection of merchandise for sales, and the team could continue to use the pretzel all over the ballpark as a nod to the past. The nostalgia and regional pride evoked by the old Senators could be recognized and honored while establishing a new look with the Nationals' blue, red and gold.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I think they evoked Pavlovian responses in the teams that played them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey, ask a baseball player if he'd rather play for a bad major league team or a good minor league one....

A poster at Uni Watch noticed that the Nats tweaked their W logo. Again.

5170321306_45b7ae853c.jpg

An overlay of the Washington Nationals 2005-2010 curly-W logo (blue) and the revised 2011 version (light red). Areas of overlap between the two forms are deep red.

A poster at Uni Watch noticed that the Nats tweaked their W logo. Again.

5170321306_45b7ae853c.jpg

An overlay of the Washington Nationals 2005-2010 curly-W logo (blue) and the revised 2011 version (light red). Areas of overlap between the two forms are deep red.

Why?

What purpose does that serve? I don't get that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Perhaps it needed to be adjusted slightly to fit onto the new uniforms properly? Maybe they felt there were some visual mistakes on the old one they wanted to fix on this one? Who knows.

It's such a minor revision (almost really just an angular shift) that had this not been posted, I honestly doubt anyone would have noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You'd think he could afford a haircut.

He can afford a lot of things.

Those uniforms suck though; what an awful rebrand.

Would you say it's "Werthless"?

....i'll show myself out.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived