Wrigley Field Football

no97

Pretty cool they're going to have the two teams in the Chicago area play there. I hadn't heard about this until just now. I guess it's a good way to generate some more interest from the locals.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pretty cool they're going to have the two teams in the Chicago area play there. I hadn't heard about this until just now. I guess it's a good way to generate some more interest from the locals.

I wouldn't classify Champaign-Urbana as "Chicago Area"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Close enough. Didn't the Bears play their home games at Illinois when Soldier Field was being remodeled?

Yeah, because that's the only stadium in Illinois that is remotely NFL-sized.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Theres more Illinois fans in the Chicagoland area than Northwestern fans.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Theres more Illinois fans in the Chicagoland area than Northwestern fans.

True, and more alumni because of the size of the schools. Northwestern has trouble selling regular game tickets and their stadium routinely has more visitor fans than NU fans. It was a pretty smart idea by them. I still think the park will be mostly U of I fans.

On a side note, I am surprised I haven't heard the Chicago media get excited about this yet. Maybe because it is college teams. When the Blackhawks played the winter classic in that ****hole, some moron on the news called it one of the proudest days in Chicago sports history. :blink: ZOMG! They are playing outside!!!1! On the list of proudest days in Chicago sports I would rank it just above Rodman kicking the cameraman in the junk.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This game will be called the "Battle of BigTen Teams Nobody Cares About" Bowl

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On a side note, I am surprised I haven't heard the Chicago media get excited about this yet. Maybe because it is college teams. When the Blackhawks played the winter classic in that ****hole, some moron on the news called it one of the proudest days in Chicago sports history. :blink: ZOMG! They are playing outside!!!1! On the list of proudest days in Chicago sports I would rank it just above Rodman kicking the cameraman in the junk.

It was a proud day because it represented the Blackhawks getting the most attention they'd gotten in about 13 years. Being able to put on a Winter Classic after ten years of virtual non-existence was a big deal. I don't care how much you hate the Cubs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's Northwestern-Indiana

Today, we are all otaku.

How much will you be saying that when BOTH of them beat Nebraska next year and many years after that? Go ahead and tout how great Nebraska is, but Northwestern and Illinois are better programs than Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kream Puff State (K-State), Texas Tech etc. ever have and will be.

How much will you be saying that when BOTH of them beat Nebraska next year and many years after that? Go ahead and tout how great Nebraska is, but Northwestern and Illinois are better programs than Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kream Puff State (K-State), Texas Tech etc. ever have and will be.

You're an idiot West Coast Will.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think these retro games at baseball parks is a great thing and I'm glad they're doing it more and more.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

That's Northwestern-Indiana

That's any combination of teams that aren't Michigan, OSU, Penn State and (usually) one other team that's having an uncharacteristically good year (Wisconsin, at the moment).

It was a proud day because it represented the Blackhawks getting the most attention they'd gotten in about 13 years. Being able to put on a Winter Classic after ten years of virtual non-existence was a big deal. I don't care how much you hate the Cubs.

It isn't about hating the Cubs, and I wouldn't say that i hate them to begin with. I hate the Twins. I am more annoyed with the Cubs and wish they moved to another city. The Winter Classic was a big deal, but if it happened three years earlier when Dollar Bill was still alive, it would have made barely a blip. The resurrgent, exciting young team had more to do with it. It was perfectly timed. No Eric Daze and Alex Zhamnov team gets the press that Hawks team did.

Regardless, it wasn't an accomplishment to be chosen to play a game outdoors, so I thought it was a little silly to rank that as one of the proudest days ever, even for a city which has seen so little success from teams other than the Bulls over the last 50 years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Close enough. Didn't the Bears play their home games at Illinois when Soldier Field was being remodeled?

perhaps this answer my question, but I had been wondering if the Bears had consider using WF in 2002, or did the nfl say no. It would have great to had seen a MNF game from Wrigley

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

perhaps this answer my question, but I had been wondering if the Bears had consider using WF in 2002, or did the nfl say no. It would have great to had seen a MNF game from Wrigley

I'm pretty sure Wrigley's too small for the NFL's standards.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm pretty sure Wrigley's too small for the NFL's standards.

The Bears left Wrigley because the NFL mandated a capacity of 50,000. It would be pretty cool if they could have gotten a one game waiver (say for their game vs. the Vikes next weekend since they play every year), but season ticket holders could be a problem. I don't know how many they have, but every one has to get tickets first, then no one else gets in? Plus, I'm not sure they are building temporary bleachers for the Northwestern/Illini game. If they did for a Bears game, perhaps it could work...

Archived