NFL Expansion Design

The Fixer

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I among others would love to see a Salt Lake City team. Gulls, Trappers, Bucks, Stags, Mountaineers, Trappers, Powder would all be good names.

You must really like "Trappers." ;)

I remember when Bill Murray owned the Salt Lake City Trappers in the Pioneer League and would come to Billings for Trappers games against the Mustangs. Lots of fun.

So I revamped my presentation a bit and updated all the image links earlier. I also moved the Warriors to LA. It seems a lot more realistic and gives me a little more freedom room for the 2nd 4 teams. And I think I have the last 4 names figured out so please no more ideas and thank you for the ideas that you gave me :)

Los Angeles Warriors

LAprimarylogo.png

Wordmark // Helmet

I think the primary logo for the Warriors is fantastic, I'd almost go as far as to say perfect, although the feathers at the back of the headdress could maybe be tweaked slightly. But for all that the primary is amazing the wordmark is it's exact opposite. I'm sorry but it's terrible! It's boring, bland genric in the extreme and even the way you've used the two colours is done to death and reeks of web 2.0 graphics. Seen in isolation it has NONE of the originality stylisation or flair of the primary and when view with the primary it just jars with it horrendously.

Yes text can be a b*tch to be creative with, but imo a wordmark should communicate in EXACTLY the same way a primary does. If the primary relates to a certain place the wordmark should reflect that, if it's an animal it should have some kind of refernce to it and it should take certian stylistic queues from the primary so that when it's viewed in isolation people can still make a connection with the primary and so that when combined with the primary they dont look like two differnt elements just thrown together. There has to be a relationship between the two and right now there is NONE of that and as such the wordmark completely missed the mark.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

It's been mentioned, but I have to second the bad idea of naming an Oregon team "Huskies" and giving them a purple color scheme.

That's like the Houston Texas going to scarlet and cream and calling themselves Sooners.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 2 months later...

I'm back :)

I had some computer problems so I haven't been able to work on anything for a while. Got it fixed today and wasted no time working on team 7. The team name I was going for is Oklahoma City Oilers. I'm leaning towards orange and black but just wanted to show the original Oilers Colors.

Anything CC on the logo before I finalize it?

Oiler.jpg

Yeah the orange and black version looks much better. However, blue and red could work if you had a darker shade of one of the two colors. Having 2 bright colors in this type of logo just doesn't look that good.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I'm back :)

I had some computer problems so I haven't been able to work on anything for a while. Got it fixed today and wasted no time working on team 7. The team name I was going for is Oklahoma City Oilers. I'm leaning towards orange and black but just wanted to show the original Oilers Colors.

Anything CC on the logo before I finalize it?

Oiler.jpg

One or three offer you the best contrast in colours and are therefore stronger visually. Nice rendering although I think you could do with spending a little time refining the shape of the shadow in the left (his right) eye socket as the shape is off. It wouldn't be flat right across the bottom due to the bridge of his nose. Adjust that and the eyesocket will be much more clearly defined and the face will read much better.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

so you mean just round out the eye? instead of completely flat? will do.

So on the Team name portion- should I do oklahoma City Oilers OR another city Rangers. it looks like it could be a ranger, an oiler, a steeler, even a jockey, or a soldier.

Not so much round out but indicate where the side of the nose is by a change of angle in the shadow. Because the side of the nose is on a different plane/angle to the cheek which the eye socket sits in the shadow will be a differnt shape. You've got to kinda imagine shadows like cloth, yeah the edge would be straight because the brim of the hat casting it straight but it's being draped over a surface which has pretty dramatic rises and falls and as a result it's going to drap over and settle into these shapes and make the straight edge appear curved as it follows the contours of the face. Sorry if that makes no sense, it's kinda hard to try and put into words at 2am! lol. Best advice I can give is go check out black and white photograpy portraits and you'll see what I mean.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I don't know if I fixed it and right now I really don't care. I'm pretty anxious to post this and continue the series. I want to get it over with!

Oklahoma City Oilers

I thought it worked and would be cool to bring back the Oilers name to the NFL. I decided to go with orange and black because it is an amazing color scheme and is underused. I know OK State uses it. I'm fine with that. I love(d) Ok states unis (before the new switch) and how they used the colors. I also used the old Oilers logo as a secondary but added a triangle behind it

Okcprimary.png

Secondary// Wordmark// Helmet

The O.C. Oilers package looks great. But, my issue is exactly that. While the primary is solid, the secondary and wordmark reaks of the Houston Oilers. I recommend coming up with perhaps a new oil derrick logo and a new wordmark just for creative sake. It is one thing to bring back the name of a former team, it's another to use some of their old design elements.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Archived