All MLB Caps

kevinmets

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did wind up chopping the '72 Pads hat off a different shot of Zimmer.

Aren't the Padres caps out of order? I think the gold-crowned version came before any of the contrast-panel variations.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=NL&city=San+Diego&lowYear=1960&highYear=&sort=year&increment=18

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Kansas City Athletics cap (blue with one red letter and one white) they never wore on the field.

That's why I'm running it by the fact checkers. MLB.com lists it as "Kansas City Athletics 1960" but what do they know.

And if the general consensus is that incrementally slight variations in a font or a color or a button constitute a completely different cap, then I'll include it. But as far as I know, most people consider the post-1950 Yankees to have worn just one cap.

I'd absolutely vote for inclusion, especially buttons. Changes are changes.

...Kansas City Athletics cap (blue with one red letter and one white) they never wore on the field.

That's why I'm running it by the fact checkers. MLB.com lists it as "Kansas City Athletics 1960" but what do they know.

In this case, American Needle picked it up off a Topps card, but that was just Topps's guess as to what the A's would wear their first year in Kansas City.

1955ToppsZernial.jpg

They guessed wrong:

al_1955_kansascity.gifBE050936.jpg

But the mistake had already been immortalized, and the error keeps getting picked up (as these errors often do).

FWIW, Topps also made a similar mistake with the newly-minted San Francisco Giants:

sf-prototype-fitted-baseball-cap-san-fran_2.jpg

That's the old San Francisco Seals cap logo, recolored orange for the Giants. As we know, not what the Giants ended up using, but because the Giants had a pretty clean lineage after that everybody knows it's wrong. But how many people are scholars of the Kansas City Athletics?

In this case, American Needle picked it up off a Topps card, but that was just Topps's guess as to what the A's would wear their first year in Kansas City.

They guessed wrong:

But the mistake had already been immortalized, and the error keeps getting picked up (as these errors often do).

FWIW, Topps also made a similar mistake with the newly-minted San Francisco Giants:

That's the old San Francisco Seals cap logo, recolored orange for the Giants. As we know, not what the Giants ended up using, but because the Giants had a pretty clean lineage after that everybody knows it's wrong. But how many people are scholars of the Kansas City Athletics?

Very interesting stuff! I'll try and find the real KC A's 1960 cap...

A few very, very nit-picky additions:

1. The Tigers road cap between the 1994 orange-billed monstrosity and the 1970's white-outlined D looked like the current road, but had a navy button (the present cap's button is orange).

2. Similarly, the Mets primary blue cap switched from a blue button to an orange button in 1997 when the white cap was introduced.

3. The first year the Cardinals had the Sunday alternate bird cap, the beak was red (there's a recent thread about this elsewhere in the forum right now).

Thanks for putting this together--terrific work!

2. Similarly, the Mets primary blue cap switched from a blue button to an orange button in 1997 when the white cap was introduced.

I could have sworn the button switched from blue to orange earlier than that, I'm thinking 1994, but maybe I'm wrong.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I could have sworn the button switched from blue to orange earlier than that, I'm thinking 1994, but maybe I'm wrong.

Looks like 1997 was right. Getty Images says this picture is from 1996, you can see the blue buttons:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51586685/AFP

And here's Dave Mlicki in 1997 when he shut out the Yankees and all was right in the world:

alg_mlicki-1997.jpg

Both pictures, by the way, show the best uniforms the Mets ever had. Blue hats (either color button is fine with me), blue socks, no black-drop shadow. Pinstripes on the home whites. No tacky racing stripe either.

Looks like 1997 was right. Getty Images says this picture is from 1996, you can see the blue buttons:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51586685/AFP

And here's Dave Mlicki in 1997 when he shut out the Yankees and all was right in the world:

alg_mlicki-1997.jpg

Both pictures, by the way, show the best uniforms the Mets ever had. Blue hats (either color button is fine with me), blue socks, no black-drop shadow. Pinstripes on the home whites. No tacky racing stripe either.

The Mets also wore the blue on the road in 2008 for their last game at Yankee Stadium:

blue-on-the-road.jpg

Anubis.png

Nice work comrade. I'll throw some logo variations at you that often slip under the radar.

Yankees "field logo" variant mid 1950's to mid 1960s's 60's. Its very close to the logo behind home plate at Yankee Stadium which is used for TV graphics. IMO cleaner and more symmetrical than the current distorted version.

64topps_giant-07.jpg81355153.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548B8D79FA125D46E882D86374B926B47DB320F4B78F7BFBD9B

a Decent New Era reproduction...

yhst-44600485780694_2132_161426603.jpg

Nice work comrade. I'll throw some logo variations at you that often slip under the radar.

Yankees "field logo" variant mid 1950's to mid 1960s's 60's. Its very close to the logo behind home plate at Yankee Stadium which is used for TV graphics. IMO cleaner and more symmetrical than the current distorted version.

64topps_giant-07.jpg81355153.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548B8D79FA125D46E882D86374B926B47DB320F4B78F7BFBD9B

a Decent New Era reproduction...

yhst-44600485780694_2132_161426603.jpg

That's close, but it looks like the current print logo on that New Era cap. The old Yankee cap logo has a straight crossbar on the "N."

For SF Giants...

4th from top is all black and one of these two logos....you are missing one of them.

I think you have this one, 1958-1976

64topps_giant-37.jpg1976%20Topps%20577%20Marc%20Hill%20PSA09.jpg

...and are missing this one 1983-1993. Check out the crown and that bad boy!

86Topps24T.jpg

I think it was just fitted to Clark's enormous head...

That's close, but it looks like the current print logo on that New Era cap. The old Yankee cap logo has a straight crossbar on the "N."

Yea the straight N bar was a a little wiggly at times... The bottom of the Y being higher then the bottom(s) of the N is what always jumps out to my eyes as the main difference from the current cap logo.

57topps-082.jpg

Archived