Yankee Stadium ready for football...

AJM

Nooooooooo...! Although I "hate" the Yankees, I respect their rich history and the new stadium of theirs is marvelous... how dare they spoil it with football?

But the pics are sort of awesome. Kind of Twilight Zone. ;)

Well, the New York Football Giants played there until 1973 (or 75?), when Giants Stadium opened.

Someone tell the geniuses at AT&T Park this is how you lay out a football field with the teams across from each other.

AT&T Park is different because (IIRC) it doesn't have enough room to lay out like this and it was actually built to accommodate the risers they stick in left field for football games.

I do agree that this is preferable to having it run along one of the foul lines. I remember coming home with a stiff neck from a Packers game at County Stadium where I sat in the left field bleachers.

You mean right field? emerald-bowl_medium.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the point of making a big deal about how a new stadium will be "baseball only" if you're then going to turn around, turf over the infield, and crunch a football field in there? (Mariners, Diamondbacks, Giants, Yankees...)

The idea is that the sightlines are designed for baseball and not dual-purpose arrangements that don't suit anybody. Football games are afterthoughts and it shows.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nooooooooo...! Although I "hate" the Yankees, I respect their rich history and the new stadium of theirs is marvelous... how dare they spoil it with football?

Well, the New York Football Giants played there until 1973 (or 75?), when Giants Stadium opened.

Someone tell the geniuses at AT&T Park this is how you lay out a football field with the teams across from each other.

AT&T Park is different because (IIRC) it doesn't have enough room to lay out like this and it was actually built to accommodate the risers they stick in left field for football games.

I do agree that this is preferable to having it run along one of the foul lines. I remember coming home with a stiff neck from a Packers game at County Stadium where I sat in the left field bleachers.

homer-doh-square.jpg

I was there!

Field looks great, I was trying to get tickets to this game a few months ago but it was an absolute joke. They wanted you to buy tickets to their crappy bowl game along with Yankees season tickets, which I already have. All to get into this game.

Northwestern had similar requirements to buy tickets for the Wrigley game. You had to buy Northwestern Season tickets...

Brilliant and ridiculous at the same time...

I was there!

I think the XFL used AT&T park for the Demons.

Field looks great, I was trying to get tickets to this game a few months ago but it was an absolute joke. They wanted you to buy tickets to their crappy bowl game along with Yankees season tickets, which I already have. All to get into this game.

Northwestern had similar requirements to buy tickets for the Wrigley game. You had to buy Northwestern Season tickets...

Brilliant and ridiculous at the same time...

To be open, the Northwestern concept for the game at Wrigley makes sense.

The Yanks plan is much different as theyre forcing you to buy 82 games at a very excessive price, to get 2 football games as a bonus. The Northwestern plan is actually one of their home games, being moved to a smaller venue.

http://twitpic.com/366e5s

This is interesting for Wrigley, mounting the goalposts to the RF wall

it made sense back in the day when some of the early nfl teams had to use baseball stadiums since there usually wasn't a college stadium nearby but what I don't get is why on earth the bears played at wrigley when soldier field was a much better suited venue...does anyone know why they waited until the 70's to move?

http://twitpic.com/366e5s

This is interesting for Wrigley, mounting the goalposts to the RF wall

it made sense back in the day when some of the early nfl teams had to use baseball stadiums since there usually wasn't a college stadium nearby but what I don't get is why on earth the bears played at wrigley when soldier field was a much better suited venue...does anyone know why they waited until the 70's to move?

Probably because the capacity was over 100,000 and wasn't reduced to a manageable size until they added the seats along the north end of the field

And... what admiral said.

SoldierField.jpg

Look at all the terrible sightlines here. How many seats are actually parallel to the sidelines? I'm pretty certain Old Soldier had the fewest seats between the goal lines of any stadium in the league by 2001. The exterior wasn't an eyesore like it is now, but clearly it still wasn't a very good football stadium. The seats are better now, but there's no parking, the building is a punchline, the field is under the water table and can't seem to grow grass or hold sod in place, and capacity is close to about a dozen. Thing's been around for 90 years and they still haven't figured out how to stage a football game there. And they call it a Football Town.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was there!

I think the XFL used AT&T park for the Demons.

Yes! And there was a cheering section called The Hellhole!

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I was there!

So, where were you in that picture?... ^_^

I guess that he was that guy who was taking photos for CCSLC. :P

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

could this be done at miller park for a wisconsin or green bay game?

It can basically be done at any baseball stadium. Baseball fields, in general, are large enough dimensionally to have the ability to fit a football field within its confines. Other factors, however, come into place. Some major league teams wish to prevent the destruction of their grass. Additionally, some football teams aren't popular enough to draw a crowd of 40,000-50,000. Of course, certain stadiums don't have enough properly-angled seats to allow for fans to watch the game in an at least semi-comfortable fashion.

Possible stadiums that could host a football game:

-Miller Park (There are plenty of properly-angled seats, including the left-field bleachers and seats along the third-base line. Also, it is climate controlled.)

-Yankee Stadium (of course, the Army vs. ND game)

-Target Field (I wish..)

Tropicana Field hosts football every January

b4s_spbowlbw121908_50123c.jpg

Archived