Yankee Stadium ready for football...

AJM

could this be done at miller park for a wisconsin or green bay game?

It can basically be done at any baseball stadium. Baseball fields, in general, are large enough dimensionally to have the ability to fit a football field within its confines. Other factors, however, come into place. Some major league teams wish to prevent the destruction of their grass. Additionally, some football teams aren't popular enough to draw a crowd of 40,000-50,000. Of course, certain stadiums don't have enough properly-angled seats to allow for fans to watch the game in an at least semi-comfortable fashion.

Possible stadiums that could host a football game:

-Miller Park (There are plenty of properly-angled seats, including the left-field bleachers and seats along the third-base line. Also, it is climate controlled.)

-Yankee Stadium (of course, the Army vs. ND game)

-Target Field (I wish..)

Miller Park can't host a game. There is no way to fit a Football field in the stadium. A very poor design choice if you ask me, especially considering its a climate controlled facility in a football crazy area.

Anubis.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller Park can't host a game. There is no way to fit a Football field in the stadium. A very poor design choice if you ask me, especially considering its a climate controlled facility in a football crazy area.

Are you sure about this? Because a couple years back I used a scale model of Miller Park to see if a football field would fit and it did (just barely, but nonetheless...)

EDIT: A quick google found this article:

And where would a (UFL) Milwaukee team play? Miller Park, of course. As it happens, Miller Park is big enough for a football field, according to Mike Duckett, executive director of the Miller Park stadium district.

SoldierField.jpg

Look at all the terrible sightlines here. How many seats are actually parallel to the sidelines? I'm pretty certain Old Soldier had the fewest seats between the goal lines of any stadium in the league by 2001. The exterior wasn't an eyesore like it is now, but clearly it still wasn't a very good football stadium.

It used to be worse (for sightlines):

Ford_287.jpeg

Ford_60.jpeg

Ford_233.jpeg

Part of agreeing to move there was that they install the stands at that far end.

The seats are better now, but there's no parking, the building is a punchline, the field is under the water table and can't seem to grow grass or hold sod in place, and capacity is close to about a dozen. Thing's been around for 90 years and they still haven't figured out how to stage a football game there. And they call it a Football Town.

While archatectually it amy not be the best looking thing in town, it's also not the worst looking thing in town either. As to the capacity, what do you want? They decided to rebuild rather than build new, so there wasn't a ton of space. And the turf is a problem, no doubt. The should have created a water-tight buffer under the playing surface with concrete, but that ship sailed once the renovation was done. Maybe something could be done if the decided to turf it, but I would be surprised to see that happen. Bottom line, they need someone besides the Park District to take control of the maintainance of the field.

http://twitpic.com/366e5s

This is interesting for Wrigley, mounting the goalposts to the RF wall

So are the entire end zones going to fit this time? IIRC one of the end zones was a bit short at Wrigley.

wrigley-field-chicago-bears-football.jpg

Note the lower corners of the field when the field went north–south.

149506_460873727982_605567982_5803180_4487157_n-540x358.jpg

Now, it’s going east–west. (Interesting since RF is 353 feet and LF is 355 feet.)

Packers-2.png

As to the capacity, what do you want? They decided to rebuild rather than build new, so there wasn't a ton of space. And the turf is a problem, no doubt. The should have created a water-tight buffer under the playing surface with concrete, but that ship sailed once the renovation was done. Maybe something could be done if the decided to turf it, but I would be surprised to see that happen. Bottom line, they need someone besides the Park District to take control of the maintainance of the field.

What I wanted was a stadium befitting one of the cornerstones of the league, not some garish slapdash crap with no charm, no seats, no parking, and no field. Even if that means building elsewhere in the city or even its suburbs. I don't care that Soldier Field is on the lakefront. So is a steel mill in Gary. Oh well.

Again, for all the talk about Chicago being this indisputable Football Town®, there's been a lot of really piss-poor stewardship of the game. The Bears are still operated as a cute little Family Business that's afraid to step on any toews or try anything new, with the weird McCaskeys just politely going about their business, hiring accountants to run the organization and soft-spoken yes-men to run the football side, all of whom were the cheapest hires available at the time. They're consistently lambasted for squandering more financial potential than anyone; the Baltimore Ravens are worth more than they are. As for the city, nobody's ever been able to figure out how to get them the stadium they should deserve, while "evil" Green Bay, Dallas, New England, and even Detroit figured out how to build well-used, top-notch venues. Area football isn't a big deal to people at the sub-Bears levels except for Northwestern alumni and some vestigial pockets of Notre Dame creeps. Certainly nobody gets worked up about high school football, for which I am supremely thankful.

I don't know, I just think it's sort of a myth made to accompany the "blue-collar city" myth. I've had conversations with people older than I am about local baseball, and they seem to recall genuine sentiments and factual occurrences. With the Bears, it's just "rabble rabble, Fridge at fullback, Ditka Butkus, rabble rabble, miss ya Walter." So I dunno.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What I wanted was a stadium befitting one of the cornerstones of the league, not some garish slapdash crap with no charm

I agree.

Much as I hate the Bears, their place in NFL history can't be denied. Second most championships, and more Hall of Famers than any other club (for now ;) ).

Tiny Green Bay has shown that you can renovate an old, out-of-date stadium into the crown jewel of the league, adding top-flight modern amenities without losing the historical charm of the original. At the same time, the City of Big Shoulders was making all the wrong choices.

The only stadiums I can think of that are as bad as Soldier Field are the ones in Minnesota, St. Louis, San Francisco, Oakland, and Jacksonville, and all four of their teams are considering moving to Los Angeles. There but by the grace of Ditka go I.

And yet Soldier Field is (sorta) seven years old. Ugh.

http://twitpic.com/366e5s

This is interesting for Wrigley, mounting the goalposts to the RF wall

So are the entire end zones going to fit this time? IIRC one of the end zones was a bit short at Wrigley.

wrigley-field-chicago-bears-football.jpg

Note the lower corners of the field when the field went north?south.

149506_460873727982_605567982_5803180_4487157_n-540x358.jpg

Now, it?s going east?west. (Interesting since RF is 353 feet and LF is 355 feet.)

I don't think two feet is really going to make a difference. If it was more of a substantial difference, I would think then considerations would have been made.

It makes more sense to run along the third base line since the first base-side grandstand has a bend in it. Oh well, better than the Winter Classic where I don't think any spectators were on the x-axis.

Here's a picture of that right field endzone:

5ys.jpg

That's part of the difference of the two feet from left field to right field.

Yeah have fun receivers.

And looking at the full field, they could have pulled the field a few feet towards 3rd base, but whatever. What's done is done.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

5ys.jpg

Yeah have fun receivers.

And looking at the full field, they could have pulled the field a few feet towards 3rd base, but whatever. What's done is done.

Um, no. You people are forgetting about the wells in the corners. The field is elongated towards RF, making a north/south field impossible after renovations.

WrigleyField.gif

5ys.jpg

Yeah have fun receivers.

Is it just me or does it seem incredibly unsafe to basically have a 10 foot brick wall marking out of bounds in the back of the endzone? How many times do you see receivers run full speed out of bounds on a deep pass into the endzone? Seems like a there's a huge potential for injury, IMO.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

5ys.jpg

Yeah have fun receivers.

Is it just me or does it seem incredibly unsafe to basically have a 10 foot brick wall marking out of bounds in the back of the endzone? How many times do you see receivers run full speed out of bounds on a deep pass into the endzone? Seems like a there's a huge potential for injury, IMO.

That's why they put up all those giant pads.

It'd still hurt pretty damn bad to run full speed into it, but it's better than nothing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Archived