Yankee Stadium ready for football...

AJM

Instead of screwing up gameplay altogether, couldn't they just shrink the field, turning the 45 yardline into the new "50"? I seem to recall NFL Europe doing this in soccer stadiums that were built too short.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of screwing up gameplay altogether, couldn't they just shrink the field, turning the 45 yardline into the new "50"? I seem to recall NFL Europe doing this in soccer stadiums that were built too short.

That would screw with the gameplay even more, making teams go shorter distances to get to the endzone. It would be easier to score touchdowns.

Oh, and they already painted the field.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Bears are out of town this weekend. Why not spare everyone the headache and just play the game at Soldier Field?

Also, the Wrigley sign needs to be painted red ASAP!

You do know that the Wrigley sign used to be blue, right?

Just to be clear...is a Northwestern home game organized by Northwestern. U of I had little if anything to do with the planning or decision making process...

this

According to ESPN, the decision for the end zones was mutual between NU, UI, and the Big Ten.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Bears are out of town this weekend. Why not spare everyone the headache and just play the game at Soldier Field?

Also, the Wrigley sign needs to be painted red ASAP!

You do know that the Wrigley sign used to be blue, right?

I was very aware of that. To a Cubs loyalist, such as myself, any color 'not red' just looks wrong.

6uXNWAo.png

It wasw probably more of a BIG 10 saying they wouldn't buy off. It's unfortunate because they really should have laid this out waayyy before now. at least check the measurements. Of coursethe forward pass wasn't as big then, but not like it was illegal. Really kind of stupid anyway you look at it IMO.

Why doesn't Northwestern fold? Because who's going to consistently beat up on the over-rated Big 10 teams such as Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, and of course the newest member next year Nebraska?

Now the problem with the field, well is just stupid. Why? Because this was approved months ago, and even laid out and approved by both schools, and the Big 10. They've been working on this for 8 months and kept getting the "okay" from everyone until Wednesday when Pat Fitzgerald walked the field over and started questioning it. They should've laid the field out in October and had the coaches and Big 10 officials walk it back then. This is what you call very poor oversight by all.

Still neat that they're playing the game at Wrigley and Yankee stadium. If they ever try to do it again, I think they'll know how to do it, but if not...still doing it once with the quirks inherent are worth it for these types of throwback venue games. Let's get Fenway on a rotation.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Maybe they could've gone the "Home plate to Center Field" route like what they're doing for Army-Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium or even revert to the original North-South configuration from the Bears time at Wrigley Field.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Maybe they could've gone the "Home plate to Center Field" route like what they're doing for Army-Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium or even revert to the original North-South configuration from the Bears time at Wrigley Field.

Neither one of those set ups would have fit. This was the only way to fit a regulation field, and even this was too snug. I don't think we are going to see another football game at Wrigley for a really long time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I understand why they wanted to go that direction with the stands on the buildings and because you couldn't move it without refunding a bunch of money. That being said, I don't think Wrigley will be doing that again anytime soon. I will say that when the Aggies were on break, I enjoyed watching the Army-Notre Dame game at Yankee Stadium. It would be kinda neat to see the Giants play a game there during an exhibition or something like that.

Archived