20 great and 20 not so great logo redesigns

Swiss

Wow, fantastic read! Quite a few of the "misses" I actually liked (Citroen, AT&T, and Google, for starters) I actually enjoyed. Most of the "good to better" choices I agreed with though. That's a great article. Lots of variety and inspiration!

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

I agree with the OP about the Sierra Mist redesign. The old one screams "90s NBA" type design to me.

I really agree with article on the Kraft, Xerox, and Mountain Dew rebrands. I always saw the pixelated Xerox logo as a message that they's get your product correct, right down to every last pixel.

However I totally dig the new Sunkist logo.

The Wisconsin department of tourism decided to undergo a re-branding of their state in order to help attract visitors and display a positive image of the state. First off – the typeface is very strange. I’ve never seen a W or an N quite like that. The text is also warped to show a faux-3d effect. The effect is not taken far enough so it just makes the text look off. The man doing a cartwheel symbol is also cheesy. This logo could have been approached in an entirely different manner and been much more successful. I’m sure there were other more iconic aspects of the state of Wisconsin (cheese???) that could have been incorporated into this logo.

Yea, cause that'll draw tourists... :rolleyes:

He also neglected to mention the worst part... the slogan is yanked from an old Bacardi ad. But the fact that someone can look at the logo and say "where's the cheese?" is just further proof of what an epic fail this re-brand was.

A few things I disagree with...

Good Section

• Chicago 2016. That old logo was SPECTACULAR! The new logo is so generic and bland.
  • Best Buy. That old logo was iconic, and now they're switching to a simpler more boring logo.

Bad Section

• London 2012. That logo is very creative; some of the best logos take a while to figure out (NBC for example, which was praised in this article).
  • Xerox. I very much prefer the new, modern logo. To me, it looks nothing like XBox.
  • AT&T. That old logo looks so outdated; the new one SCREAMS new technology. And plus it looks why more 3 dimensional and ball like. Oh, and the bars are supposed to stand for 3G coverage, I think...
  • Google. That old logo is terrible. Look at those ugly, blocky letters. The new logo is calming; if I opened my computer to that old logo I would feel tense and uptight. The exclamation point doesn't help that either...

25yzwqg.png

Ah, I forgot to tell you guys that the Argentina's logo is really a graphical country branding (here's an explanation about Nation Branding, it's sort of the same thing)...

Before of that, Argentina didn't have any "logo".

Talking about country branding, I opened a new topic about it because it's a very whole stuff.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Sunkist actually changed the logo a few months ago again, to something even better looking.

sunkistoldnew.jpg

My thoughts on some of them tho

Gatorade - at first I didnt care for the G with the bolt, it has grown on me, but I still think the bolt by itself is better (Hell people KILL form such logos to be as iconic, like the nike swoosh), I never liked the corny labels ith the sayings on them, luckily tho gatorade already has changed their labels again, all are gray with the G Bolt, I'd like them to go back to what they did couple years ago where certain line's had their own design (like X Factor had a big X, the Rain line looked cool)

Google - its iconic, also the first logo is worse, too bulky. They have toned tone the drop shadow since as well.

At&t - the thing I see is, if a paul rand logo gets changed alot of the design critics complain, and while they were great lookin, a good modernization sometimes isn't bad, and the at&t logo shows that, the 2d version of the current globe is even better lookin.

Sierra Mist - best part is they have had 2 label's since then, including one this year that lasted what 2-3 months? talk about an identity crises.

Best Buy - Have yet to see best buy actually switch to this, I know their mall of america store has the logo, but the website, weekly ad's and everything else sull use the iconic best buy logo. So for now to me that "new" logo is just a prototype.

Burger King - It was a great change when the did it, but I could see them makin some changes to it if they wanted.

Archived